has anyone remade the secret of Monkey Island? 2.0

Started by Bryan_abos, Mon 06/11/2017 01:14:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan_abos

Hello := I'm just starting to learn to use the software and it is quite easy to use once you accept that you have to learn a lot to create a game, but that is still kind of rewarding... well, I've visited this forum a bunch of times but I've never written in the general discussion section.

In my quest to learn how to make some things with the program I wondered if it would be possible that out there somewhere if anyone has ever remade the secret of Monkey Island. Looking for it I found this thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=13002.0 .- I wanted to reply to it but this message appeared:

Warning - There has been no post in this topic for at least 120 days.
Please consider starting a new topic unless you are sure you want to reply.

So here I am starting a new topic.

The thing is that many people replied that they didn't find the use of an AGS version of Monkey Island, to which I reply (strong language ahead)
Spoiler
bullshit!
[close]

There is a huge pedagogical value on remaking a beloved game that I'm sure most of us know by heart by now. Having of course the template for the game so we can see how every command of the game operates would provide every person who is learning with a catalogue (at least) of most basic interactions, tools and commands that can be used in the program. Of course, I'm not saying SOMEONE OUT THERE SHOULD NO THIS BECAUSE I WANT IT TO! I'm just suggesting that it is a great idea for someone (or probably someones... wait.. does someones exist?... mental note, check later) with the experience and the intention to create a new video tutorial to learn how to create graphic adventures (btw I'm not saying that there there is not good tutorials out there, but as a teacher I'm sure that diversity is the trick).

Well, the question is.. what do you think? ??? would it be useful to do that? would it be a total waste of time? was this already discussed and I missed the thread? should I stop asking stupid questions? how many wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Tell me about it because I'm curious (laugh).

Gilbert

MI1 and MI2 were both officially remade already, though not using AGS, and you can still play with the original graphics, without the awful enhancements. Also, there may be copyright issues if one attempts at an amateur remade of the games.

Bryan_abos

Quote from: Gilbert on Mon 06/11/2017 01:32:31
MI1 and MI2 were both officially remade already, though not using AGS, and you can still play with the original graphics, without the awful enhancements. Also, there may be copyright issues if one attempts at an amateur remade of the games.

I knew of course about the special editions (which kinda suck), but I'm not talking about remaking it to play it. What I'm proposing is disecting it to learn how to use the software to make specific things (as an example). I'm talking about remaking it with ags and uploading it not in .exe but in .agf (again, with pegagogical purposes).
Now, about the copyright... If it is not monetized I don't see why it should be a problem (but it's Disney we are talking about so... there's that. It's just my inner communist talking).

LeonDaydreamer

I'm sure you could do anything you like for your personal uses, especially if you're planning to use the sprites and script of the original game, I don't think anyone could accuse you of copyright infringement much more than kids tracing comic books to learn how to draw.  :)

P.S.... I thought Wally was a little kid who was really into maps when I first played Monkey Island 2 in DOS!
The Special Edition version really ruined that for me.  :P

And, A woodchuck would chuck no amount of wood since a woodchuck can't chuck wood.

Gilbert

Yeah, for personal uses it would be okay, but if it is to be released publicly you may take some risks, especially when the games are still being sold, even if the reconstruction is to be provided free of charge.

Sometimes the copyright holders just ignore you, but sometime not. For examples of games made with AGS, there was a game about a certain orange fat cat that was taken down, and I thought it was re-skinned to some lawyer-friendly version after receiving a C&D. There was also an AGS remake of the first Hogo game, and while the original authors appreciated the efforts they politely asked the game to be removed from circulation, because the original games were still being sold.

Matti

I think Rui made a point in the thread you linked. The amount of work needed to redo a whole MI game would be insane. Making a long and complex original game can be as time-consuming or even more so, but it's also fun. You do something creative and bring your imagination to life. Doing the ramake is just work, a lot of hard work, that is not very rewarding. It may be challenging, but it would be tedious and boring too and would require a lot of dedication and discipline.

If the point is just to have an open source AGS game to show its capabilities and to help beginners, you don't need to remake MI. You can make any original game and release the whole AGS project.

Danvzare

Well there isn't an AGS remake of Monkey Island, which in my mind is completely unneeded, even to use as a series of examples to help you learn how to use the engine. I'm fairly sure a custom made open source game with the sole intention of learning you the engine, would do a much better job at that.

Then of course there's the copyright problem, because I doubt Disney would be happy that people would just be able to download a fully functioning remake of the game without paying for it. Then again, who knows about that one. I don't think Disney even knows they own Monkey Island. But what I'm trying to say is that you can still incur a company's wrath for remaking something, even if it's free, and even if it's used for learning purposes.

This all being said, there is something similar to what you want that already exists. Maniac Mansion Deluxe is a remake of Maniac Mansion for AGS. Although it's quite old now, and I don't think the source code was ever made public. But a lot of the code and graphics were reused on Maniac Mansion Mania, which does provide some open source stuff, most of which has been updated for newer versions of AGS.

Oh, and someone remade the demo of Curse of Monkey Island in the style of The Secret of Monkey Island for AGS. I think that was open source, so maybe you could look around for that.

Mandle

OMG just imagine getting every single interaction with every single object/character coded so that they behaved exactly like in the game including the musical florishes and sound effects, and then even the cutscenes, and THEN coding all the puzzles perfectly so they worked like in the original, and this all without seeing the original code!

I would say you are inviting yourself on a quick trip into Hell. You would probably get a room or two done (and to make them match the game this would take you maybe 50-100 hours work) and then give up.

Like others have said: Much better you create your own game, even if you rip the Monkey Island backgrounds/sprites/etc... It's been done before and quite well in some cases...

Maybe look into the community that creates Maniac Mansion games in AGS and other engines. They make some really good games from recycled assets (plus their original ones)...

Bryan_abos

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 06/11/2017 13:17:47
OMG just imagine getting every single interaction with every single object/character coded so that they behaved exactly like in the game including the musical florishes and sound effects, and then even the cutscenes, and THEN coding all the puzzles perfectly so they worked like in the original, and this all without seeing the original code!

I would say you are inviting yourself on a quick trip into Hell. You would probably get a room or two done (and to make them match the game this would take you maybe 50-100 hours work) and then give up.

Like others have said: Much better you create your own game, even if you rip the Monkey Island backgrounds/sprites/etc... It's been done before and quite well in some cases...

Maybe look into the community that creates Maniac Mansion games in AGS and other engines. They make some really good games from recycled assets (plus their original ones)...

Well i guess that remaking monkey island would be hard as hell. Then let me reframe the question.

Do you think it would be helpful to create a game that explains the basics to create a game (that is more elaborate than the tempates for provided by AGS)? is it unnecessary? should I shut up 8-0?

Snarky

You have the Demo Quest and a bunch of AGS open source games. Every so often people suggest updating the demo game, and everyone agrees it's a good idea and then it doesn't go anywhere. It's just a matter of getting someone to do it.

Danvzare

Quote from: Bryan_abos on Mon 06/11/2017 13:33:21
Do you think it would be helpful to create a game that explains the basics to create a game (that is more elaborate than the tempates for provided by AGS)? is it unnecessary? should I shut up 8-0?
I think Snarky perfectly answered that question. We already have one, but it needs updating.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk