0xC0000005 error

Started by Dave Gilbert, Mon 06/11/2017 17:10:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

Hello hive mind! Some Blackwell Epiphany players have come across one of those pesky exception errors and I have no idea what the problem is. The game has been out for three years and now two players have come across this error at once. Here is the error:

---------------------------
Illegal exception
---------------------------
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x0050594B ; program pointer is +5, ACI version 3.21.1115, gtags (39,210)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

in "GlobalScript.asc", line 2891

Line 2891 in question is simply an animation call. Specifically:
Code: ags
cJoey.Animate(22, 3, eOnce, eBlock, eForwards);

Any light shedding appreciated!

Thank you.
-Dave

Crimson Wizard

Not another one! (We need to do something with the topic titles, because although error message is similar, they are often related to different reasons)

This is related to game drawing somehow, "program pointer +5" is marking the end of the part where character, object etc current images are prepared, and beginning of actually putting this all on screen.
Things that may be affecting it along the way:
- plugin calls in render stage (if you have any plugins).
- drawing mouse cursor.
- drawing console.
- drawing black borders (in AGS 3.2.1 it did that there)
- updating screen shaking and ambient tint.
- finally telling graphics driver to put all this on screen.

Since the cJoey animation is blocking, engine redraws the screen while this function runs.

IDK how else to help without gathering more info.
Do you know if that happens to these players every time? Maybe they have a savegame near that location?

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 06/11/2017 18:33:53
Not another one! (We need to do something with the topic titles, because although error message is similar, they are often related to different reasons)

Yeah, after doing a search for the problem I wasn't sure how to title this thread. :)

QuoteIDK how else to help without gathering more info.
Do you know if that happens to these players every time? Maybe they have a savegame near that location?

I've asked them! Maybe it was a one-off thing. Hopefully it was.

edit: I asked the players to reload an old save. The closest save did not work (the crash repeated), but they reloaded one save older and the crash did not happen. So... yay? I suppose if you can't treat the disease, you treat the symptoms! Here's the thread if you want to chime in.

Alan v.Drake

Three years... could there be idle animations involved when that Animate goes off ?

- Alan

Dave Gilbert

The first thing I thought of! The idle is disabled in the previous command. But even still, that shouldn't give an 0xC0000005 error. At least, I'd assume it wouldn't.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Mon 06/11/2017 18:44:14
edit: I asked the players to reload an old save. The closest save did not work (the crash repeated), but they reloaded one save older and the crash did not happen. So... yay? I suppose if you can't treat the disease, you treat the symptoms! Here's the thread if you want to chime in.

Erm, looks like we understand this differently.
The reason I asked for save is to CRASH the game, because if we are able to reproduce the error under debugger, then there is a chance to fix the error, if it's still present in latest engine version. Is it possible to get that save that causes crash?

Dave Gilbert

Oh you want the save file? Sorry, I misunderstood. I'll ask them for it!

Dave Gilbert

Save file received! Check your PMs.

Crimson Wizard

Just in case, I will citate myself from PM. Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce this bug so far using the saved games. But I have a non-steam version of the game, while your players seem to have steam one? Are there any differences between them? Were you able to reproduce this crash yourself?

Also, would it be okay to post these saved games here in case someone else would like to try? TBH that's not good that I am the only one having access to them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk