The Chrysalis -- new horror adventure

Started by KyriakosCH, Thu 09/11/2017 16:40:25

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

THE CHRYSALIS

This is a free, stand-alone chapter of a possible series. It is also my first game, so I would really welcome feedback. I hope that the game can be fun.
You can find the 40MBish DL link at the game's AGS page: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2209/

Important: If at any time the download is not available here (bandwidth issues) you can dl the game directly from https://kyriakosch.itch.io/the-chrysalis.
--And now it is available in the AGS archive as well!

This is version 1.1 (added some interface options)

STORY

Your character was invited by a person he knows since they were in school - they now are in their thirties. He falls in love with this person's apartment, due to the elegant rooms, but also the antique furniture and - last but not least - the paintings his host has created (they are macabre).
While your character would like to just stick around and move from room to room, he is also a bit alarmed, because... his host has left him, without saying why; he just noted that he has something to do, and will return soon.
You wonder if the other person has gotten involved into some bizarre story, or strange interests. Nevertheless... you are happy to be given the opportunity to explore the apartment on your own.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Features:
Made for 640x400.
Original music and SFX.
All graphics were created in 3d (with Blender).
This is a horror story, based on one of my printed short stories.

Story: Kyriakos Chalkopoulos
Music: Krzysztof Gorzkowski

Here is a walkthrough (inside the spoiler) if you get stuck :)

Spoiler
Listing only the things you need to do so as to finish the game & one easter egg:
1) in the bedroom, click "use" on the book on the desk. Then click "use" again (having by now been decided to pry)
2) visit all rooms once (time passes)
3) in the corridor, click "use" on the apartment's exit door. (so that you decide to wait still)
4) in the bedroom, you can now go outside, to the balcony. Go there. (you clear your mind)
5) in the bedroom, you can now click "use" on the diary, and read it.
6) in the bedroom, you can now click "use" on the drawer and open it.
7) in the bedroom, click "look" on the drawing you took out of the drawer.
8) in the living room, click "look" on the antique hanging drawers (you now take the blank paper)
9) in the bedroom, click "look" (i think; "use" will still be about actually taking it) on the drawing you took out. Now you made a copy using your pen and the paper.
10) exit to the corridor. Now time passes again. Important: click at the apartment's exit door (to discover it has been locked all this time).
11) go to the balcony, click "use" on the black night hotspot. (so as to decide you won't throw the drawing there; you have nothing to ensure it falls to the ground and itself is too light).
12) exit to the corridor. Click on the bathroom. You throw the original drawing there. Some scene follows.
13) (optional: go to the kitchen, click on the faucet, leave the room; easter egg about revenge ;) )
14) go to the balcony. Click use on the railing. You go to the other side. Click 'use' on the other apartment there.
15) in the new scene, click "use" on the screen. Scene follows + ending ;)
[close]

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

Wow, congratulations! Can't wait to try this out over the weekend.

And just when I was starting to wonder if you were too much of a perfectionist to ever release a game (laugh)

Good to see that is not the case!

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 09/11/2017 23:10:44
Wow, congratulations! Can't wait to try this out over the weekend.

And just when I was starting to wonder if you were too much of a perfectionist to ever release a game (laugh)

Good to see that is not the case!

Thank you my friend :)

I may be a perfectionist, but I do know my limits as a game creator (and I worked alone on this, other than getting the very nice music from Krys :) )
So, yes, the game is my first, and it isn't at all perfect (I can accept that hardcore or long-time game-creators here will find it quite amateurish) but I hope the story does seem interesting enough to allow people to play to the end!!! ;) It is adapted from one of my printed stories.
Anyway, I can tell you that for someone not involved in game-creation, making an ags game is HARD! Writing/translating literature is way easier (laugh)

NicolaGs

There's a small error with your game packaging : Winsetup doesn't work.
It's because when you compiled your game, it was named initially "Mygame", thus the winsetup.exe points to "Mygame.exe". But then, you renamed "Mygame.exe" to "TheChrysalis.exe"... so Winsetup.exe does not find "Mygame.exe" anymore.

It's not a big deal, bug if someone wants to change an aspect of the game, he/she won't be able to...
My first game : I Want Out!

Stupot

Congrats on release. I look forward to giving this a go.

KyriakosCH

Thank you, Stupot ;-D

@Nicola: I think the issue is no longer there in the current version? (V1.1) (?)

Mandle

I played through the game this afternoon and

Spoiler
The mood of the game is awesome! I like the graphics and the music a lot and they build a sense that something strange is going to happen at any moment.
I also enjoyed the way the character's willingness to perform certain actions changes as time and/or his situation changes. This made the character feel quite real in his motivations for me.
On the downside for me:
Spoiler
Time seemed to progress only after certain explorations had been performed which is fair enough. Many adventure games use this mechanism. But at times I felt it was not clear exactly what would trigger the next time change so this meant a lot of wandering.
I think the paper on the bedroom/library floor might have been important to find to trigger time-change but it was so dark it just blended in with the floor to my eye and I only found it by noticing the hotspot label when I randomly moved the mouse over it.
There were some walkbehind and hotspot issues for me. Especially the diary on the table: It's hotspot seemed nowhere near the book itself. Just an empty patch of the desk.
Another thing that gave me problems was the puzzle-solving mechanic. I spent forever looking for an inventory window or some way to interact with objects before stumbling upon having to right-click on my own character to have him automatically do the action. Perhaps this mechanism needs some explaining at the start of the game in the brief "mouse tutorial"? I think a lot of players could give up at this point in the game otherwise.
Perhaps my biggest issue was the ending: Just when something actually happened and it seemed like the game was about to earn its "horror" genre... I'm suddenly teleported back to the kitchen and there is some ambiguous text concerning what happened/would happen, and the game ends.
I must admit that I have absolutely no idea about what happened during the game. None of the pieces connected for me. I don't know what connection the picture had to the creature, what the entity was, if it really existed, why my "friend" wanted/needed to trap me in his apartment, and what happened at the end.
Sorry, but I couldn't get any real feeling of satisfaction from the story. Maybe it's meant to be ambiguous? Maybe having read the original story would help? But, like I said, I did very much enjoy the mood and that was enough to make me want to finish the game to the end. Mood is harder to create than cohesive story in a game I would say, so you're a long way towards making awesome games already.
[close]

Cheers for the fun and looking forward to more from you!
[close]

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 10/11/2017 09:43:27
I played through the game this afternoon and

Spoiler
The mood of the game is awesome! I like the graphics and the music a lot and they build a sense that something strange is going to happen at any moment.
I also enjoyed the way the character's willingness to perform certain actions changes as time and/or his situation changes. This made the character feel quite real in his motivations for me.
On the downside for me:
Spoiler
Time seemed to progress only after certain explorations had been performed which is fair enough. Many adventure games use this mechanism. But at times I felt it was not clear exactly what would trigger the next time change so this meant a lot of wandering.
I think the paper on the bedroom/library floor might have been important to find to trigger time-change but it was so dark it just blended in with the floor to my eye and I only found it by noticing the hotspot label when I randomly moved the mouse over it.
There were some walkbehind and hotspot issues for me. Especially the diary on the table: It's hotspot seemed nowhere near the book itself. Just an empty patch of the desk.
Another thing that gave me problems was the puzzle-solving mechanic. I spent forever looking for an inventory window or some way to interact with objects before stumbling upon having to right-click on my own character to have him automatically do the action. Perhaps this mechanism needs some explaining at the start of the game in the brief "mouse tutorial"? I think a lot of players could give up at this point in the game otherwise.
Perhaps my biggest issue was the ending: Just when something actually happened and it seemed like the game was about to earn its "horror" genre... I'm suddenly teleported back to the kitchen and there is some ambiguous text concerning what happened/would happen, and the game ends.
I must admit that I have absolutely no idea about what happened during the game. None of the pieces connected for me. I don't know what connection the picture had to the creature, what the entity was, if it really existed, why my "friend" wanted/needed to trap me in his apartment, and what happened at the end.
Sorry, but I couldn't get any real feeling of satisfaction from the story. Maybe it's meant to be ambiguous? Maybe having read the original story would help? But, like I said, I did very much enjoy the mood and that was enough to make me want to finish the game to the end. Mood is harder to create than cohesive story in a game I would say, so you're a long way towards making awesome games already.
[close]

Cheers for the fun and looking forward to more from you!
[close]

Thanks so much! Both for the positive words and the more critical notes :D I certainly find your view of the game as being very fair - let alone friendly and commendable.

Spoiler
Yes, the relation between the entity, the drawing, the painter, and the guest, is ambiguous. Maybe it was way too ambiguous, but it is so in the original short story i wrote as well. A possible explanation - though it is open, you don't have to see it that way - is that the more the guest gets in contact with the drawing, the more he becomes tied to the painter; his copy of the drawing gets closer to the original too, and soon enough he finds the model of the drawing -- the monster. Essentially i wrote the story as a covert allusion to detachment from horrible memories, which in the end catch up when you are entirely unaware :)
[close]

Re the paper on the floor: no, that is really optional; you don't even have to see it at all (nod)
By the way! There is a (very VERY brief) animation showing the mouse actions (it is all you can do, there is no active inventory in the traditional sense). It appears in the very end of the 'intro'. Right-clicking on your character will only tell you what you are carrying (it doesn't trigger anything).
Thank you so much for liking the mood!!! Given it is what i do (author) it is the thing i could do best here anyway (laugh) !!!

NicolaGs

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 10/11/2017 05:27:24
Thank you, Stupot ;-D

@Nicola: I think the issue is no longer there in the current version? (V1.1) (?)
Yes Kyriakos, it works :)

If you really want your .EXE to be called "TheChrysalis.exe", it's possible. IIRC, here is the way to do it :
- make a copy of your game project folder (it should be called "Mygame"),
- change the name of the new folder to "TheChrysalis",
- delete the "compiled" folder in the new game folder,
- open your game .AGF file (from the new folder),
- compile it (with F7).

You should now have a file named  "TheChrysalis.exe" and the "WinSetup.exe" will correctly point to it then.
My first game : I Want Out!

KyriakosCH

Quote from: NicolaGs on Fri 10/11/2017 10:14:15
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 10/11/2017 05:27:24
Thank you, Stupot ;-D

Yes Kyriakos, it works :)

If you really want your .EXE to be called "TheChrysalis.exe", it's possible. IIRC, here is the way to do it :
- make a copy of your game project folder (it should be called "Mygame"),
- change the name of the new folder to "TheChrysalis",
- delete the "compiled" folder in the new game folder,
- open your game .AGF file (from the new folder),
- compile it (with F7).

You should now have a file named  "TheChrysalis.exe" and the "WinSetup.exe" will correctly point to it then.

Thanks, i will certainly use that info! :-D

josiah1221

Very nice! Been looking forward to playing something of yours for a while especially with all the great artwork you have shared in the critics lounge :) I definitely agree that the mood and atmosphere are spot on. And I didn't mind the trigger events, figuring out what to do next added to the mystery. The story was interesting and kept me wanting to figure it out to the end, even if it was a little confusing. Regardless, great job on your first game and I look forward to future projects :)

KyriakosCH

Quote from: josiah1221 on Mon 13/11/2017 03:32:07
Very nice! Been looking forward to playing something of yours for a while especially with all the great artwork you have shared in the critics lounge :) I definitely agree that the mood and atmosphere are spot on. And I didn't mind the trigger events, figuring out what to do next added to the mystery. The story was interesting and kept me wanting to figure it out to the end, even if it was a little confusing. Regardless, great job on your first game and I look forward to future projects :)

Thank you! :-D

Krys's music was fundamental in creating the atmosphere...

Btw, i am not sure if people discovered the easter egg with the faucet left running (laugh)

KyriakosCH

No more reviews? I hope this doesn't mean the rest of those who dled/played it were disgusted :=

Joking; i suppose reviews are rare, let alone for a brief game :)
Btw, it is now on IndieDB as well...

Videojuegos_Fermin

Congratulations Kyriakos from Spain!

Videojuegos Fermín
:cheesy:
www.videojuegosfermin.com

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Videojuegos_Fermin on Thu 16/11/2017 11:45:01
Congratulations Kyriakos from Spain!

Videojuegos Fermín
:cheesy:
www.videojuegosfermin.com

Thank you, and hi! :D
I see you have philosophical themes in your work as well ^^ (my uni degree is in philosophy)

SarahLiz

Hi there!

I played the game last week...I really loved the premise of the story--some of my favorite games have been revolved around a mansion/house/exploring of creepy things & rooms.  I liked the sound effects and graphics as well, and my initial only complaint was that the character moves & interacts so slowly with his surroundings--I kept looking for game controls to increase the speed.  To me though, that's not a big deal, as I'm not in a hurry to get through adventure games.  I honestly just felt that I did a lot of wandering and found very little.  I couldn't go back into the bathroom and have a proper look around.  Time advanced only once for me, and then I couldn't figure out what to do next, as my guy didn't want to pick up anything nor pry very much into his friend's stuff.  So I very quickly got stuck. 

--The faucet easter egg was cute!  Although I was kind of hoping he'd flood the apartment, ha!

~SL

KyriakosCH

Quote from: SarahLiz on Thu 16/11/2017 19:30:47
Hi there!

I played the game last week...I really loved the premise of the story--some of my favorite games have been revolved around a mansion/house/exploring of creepy things & rooms.  I liked the sound effects and graphics as well, and my initial only complaint was that the character moves & interacts so slowly with his surroundings--I kept looking for game controls to increase the speed.  To me though, that's not a big deal, as I'm not in a hurry to get through adventure games.  I honestly just felt that I did a lot of wandering and found very little.  I couldn't go back into the bathroom and have a proper look around.  Time advanced only once for me, and then I couldn't figure out what to do next, as my guy didn't want to pick up anything nor pry very much into his friend's stuff.  So I very quickly got stuck. 

--The faucet easter egg was cute!  Although I was kind of hoping he'd flood the apartment, ha!

~SL

Thanks! :D Here is a walkthrough (inside the spoiler) if you feel like trying with it :)

Spoiler
Listing only the things you need to do so as to finish the game & one easter egg:
1) in the bedroom, click "use" on the book on the desk. Then click "use" again (having by now been decided to pry)
2) visit all rooms once (time passes)
3) in the corridor, click "use" on the apartment's exit door. (so that you decide to wait still)
4) in the bedroom, you can now go outside, to the balcony. Go there. (you clear your mind)
5) in the bedroom, you can now click "use" on the diary, and read it.
6) in the bedroom, you can now click "use" on the drawer and open it.
7) in the bedroom, click "look" on the drawing you took out of the drawer.
8) in the living room, click "look" on the antique hanging drawers (you now take the blank paper)
9) in the bedroom, click "look" (i think; "use" will still be about actually taking it) on the drawing you took out. Now you made a copy using your pen and the paper.
10) exit to the corridor. Now time passes again. Important: click at the apartment's exit door (to discover it has been locked all this time).
11) go to the balcony, click "use" on the black night hotspot. (so as to decide you won't throw the drawing there; you have nothing to ensure it falls to the ground and itself is too light).
12) exit to the corridor. Click on the bathroom. You throw the original drawing there. Some scene follows.
13) (optional: go to the kitchen, click on the faucet, leave the room; easter egg about revenge ;) )
14) go to the balcony. Click use on the railing. You go to the other side. Click 'use' on the other apartment there.
15) in the new scene, click "use" on the screen. Scene follows + ending ;)
[close]

KyriakosCH

Important: If the download is not available here (bandwidth issues) you can dl the game from https://kyriakosch.itch.io/the-chrysalis. I hope it can be hosted in the AGS site as well in the future 8-)

Cassiebsg

AGS site does not host games, only links to them on their entry page.
AGS Archives does host the games and works as a backup.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 18/11/2017 11:24:02
AGS site does not host games, only links to them on their entry page.
AGS Archives does host the games and works as a backup.

Thanks, I asked some people controlling or moderating the site for help on this -- it would solve an issue... :D I'd prefer the file to be at AGS archives as the first dl link, rather than at a gaming site which isn't officially associated with AGS. Though Itch seems very dedicated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk