AGS Cycles

Started by CaptainD, Fri 10/11/2017 19:06:22

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

AGS Cycles takes the classic "Light Cycles" concept from TRON and adds some random elements so that each game is unique.  It's 2-player only because... well, because I couldn't code a good AI.  In fact, in all my years having played various iterations of this game idea, I have never really seen a good AI - coding a purely reactive opponent is very easy but trying to make one that acts proactively and somewhat plays like a human opponent is far, far tougher.

Er... anyway, grab a friend and give it a go!  (It may look very simple... it IS very simple, but it's good fun against a mate.)

Download Link

Click'd

An AGS multiplayer game? What a novel idea. Too bad I'm alone right now.

Cassiebsg

How, this looks great CaptainD!
Is it an entry for MAGS?

Shame I don't have anyone to play it with... maybe my left hand can play against my right? Should be interesting to try it. (laugh)

EDIT: Let me know when there's a mirror up.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

@ClickClickClick - hope you get to try it when you're not alone!
@Cassiebsg - okay just for you I've thrown it up on Itch as well - https://captaind.itch.io/ags-cycles
Left hand vs Right hand is certainly a challenge - though more a challenge to just keep going as long as possible - in fact that's what I did to make the gameplay videos since my daughter didn't want to have a go against me!! (roll)
(Oh and not a MAGS... just one of a few little projects I've been pottering around with, this one I eventually decided to polish up a bit and release.  It's actually the third time I've made a Light Cycles game - one with JustBasic some years ago and a version on the Atari ST created with STOS quite some time before that!  Interestingly each game ended up being rather unique in style.)

rongel

Nice work!

Just played it with my girlfriend, we wanted to see what will happen if there is a head-on collision.

Spoiler
A draw!
[close]
Who had guessed... But there was also a game crash after that, don't have the error report to post, but pretty sure it was because of it. Anyway, a nice game, it must have required some nifty coding!
Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

CaptainD

Thanks rongel!

Actually I'm glad you managed to check the head-on collisions - my left and right hand weren't quite up to coordinating that once I'd added the random elements!  (It worked before but, you know, it's nice to know it still works.)  Don't know about the crash, I don't think I ever had that!  :sad:  It certainly shouldn't have been anything to do with what happened when you collided head-on... but let me know if it happens again!

I'm toying with the idea of adding an AI opponent anyway, even though I don't think the AI will be very good, at least with randomised obstacles in each level that should make things interesting enough for it not to be a major issue.

I'm pretty sure the coding is rather amateurish, but at least it works!  (At least most of the time...)

Thanks for trying out the game ;-D

Slasher

Reminds me of the old snake game, only with two snakes (laugh)

Great idea and fun (nod)..,

Could be made deluxe...

nice one Capt....

KyriakosCH

Yes, i also recall the one-player snake game. I have bad memories of having to wait in airport for 2 hours, playing that on my mobile :D

Congratulations for the release!!!
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

CaptainD

Thanks guys!

I was most surprised to see that 3 people on GJ are already following the game, so maybe a "Deluxe" edition is a possibility... :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk