Which horror adventure game is your favourite?

Started by KyriakosCH, Mon 13/11/2017 19:41:08

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

From the major company ones, I liked the first Gabriel Knight.
From indie ones I liked a few, including Downfall (the original, not the remake; imo the remake had less balance as a story, though I am not sure if people who played that first would be of such a view ;) ), The cat lady (sequel to Downfall), and the sequel to 5 days a stranger (the one in space; despite being in space I liked the atmosphere :=) ).

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

NicolaGs

Gabriel Knight for me too. gabriel Knight 2 also...
And I really loved Phatasmagoria, back then, despite all its flaws I see now...
My first game : I Want Out!

Mandle

Best indie horror game for me that I have actually played is probably Anchorhead

If you click the link the game just starts and is playable in your browser. It's a text adventure in the Lovecraftian style and I love it to death!!!

KyriakosCH

:)

Re Phantasmagoria, i have only seen a playthrough video, but i do like the monster and the different (and gruesome) ways to die!

Which reminds me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-OZisUSfQQ&t=97s

"Keep your distance, son. I wouldn't want to have to blow your head off".

LeonDaydreamer

The original Clock Tower for the SNES! It was so well done and SO creepy! Still gives me the chills thinking about it...

KyriakosCH

Quote from: LeonDaydreamer on Wed 15/11/2017 20:16:50
The original Clock Tower for the SNES! It was so well done and SO creepy! Still gives me the chills thinking about it...

+1

Its music is very good too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH_2wl8Oq44

CyberUncleCat

Yeah Clock Tower on SNES (named 'First Fear' for PSX version to avoid confusion with other game) was something else. That game was very complex for a SNES game with its multiple endings, although strange thing is that the canon ending is 'B' i believe (everyone dead except Jenny). Clock Tower 1 on PSX, was also very good except for shitty 3D. Clock Tower 2 was the last from adventure game type trilogy, but also the worst. It had no connection to story from previous games and instead it follows some zombie bullshit and gameplay sucked (so-called 'battles'). Still, Bates was a funny element of game but...yeah u guessed it, they screw uped his gameplay role also since there were no logic behind riddles where player had to change persona leading to non stop trial and error. Very, very bad game design. No wonder developer went to hell.

Creamy

Not that I have played many horror games but Silent Hill 2 holds a special place for me.

Sanitarium had its moments too.

Click'd

The Cat Lady, I guess. Haven't played much that could be labeled horror.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Creamy on Thu 16/11/2017 23:53:11
Not that I have played many horror games but Silent Hill 2 holds a special place for me.

Sanitarium had its moments too.

"Diagnosis: Crazy" (laugh)

Creamy

Quote"Diagnosis: Crazy" (laugh)
Care to elaborate ? (roll)

Both games had me ragequit a few times. The lack of visibility - intended or not - is particularly annoying in SH2. Yet I was compelled to finish them. I played some technically better horror games (Resident Evil 4, Cayne, ...) which didn't leave their mark as strongly on me.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Creamy on Fri 17/11/2017 11:17:22
Quote"Diagnosis: Crazy" (laugh)
Care to elaborate ? (roll)

Both games had me ragequit a few times. The lack of visibility - intended or not - is particularly annoying in SH2. Yet I was compelled to finish them. I played some technically better horror games (Resident Evil 4, Cayne, ...) which didn't leave their mark as strongly on me.

"Diagnosis: Crazy" is a very funny quote in the first part of Sanitarium (laugh)

Creamy

Oh, right. It didn't ring a bell. I should replay it someday.
Curiously, I could remember George Stobbart saying something similar in the Hagenmeyer Clinic of Broken Sword 1 :-D

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Creamy on Fri 17/11/2017 13:41:27
Oh, right. It didn't ring a bell. I should replay it someday.
Curiously, I could remember George Stobbart saying something similar in the Hagenmeyer Clinic of Broken Sword 1 :-D

"'Non' way" :D

DBoyWheeler

Well, Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness had some horror themes in it.

But I think Yahtzee's X Days (Chzo Mythos) Series would win the best horror adventure game award pretty easily.

HandsFree

Favorite is probably GK2, but I hardly classify that one as horror so I go for Scratches.
Anyone played it?

KyriakosCH

Quote from: HandsFree on Fri 17/11/2017 19:33:55
Favorite is probably GK2, but I hardly classify that one as horror so I go for Scratches.
Anyone played it?

I have seen a full youtube 'let's play' of it. It is nice :)
Though i am not really fond of first person perpective in adventures. Nor of 3d world in adventures.

HandsFree

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 17/11/2017 19:48:07
Though i am not really fond of first person perpective in adventures. Nor of 3d world in adventures.
First person is not an issue for me; I like 1st and 3rd person perspective both.
I strongly dislike 3d when combined with 3rd person view, but with scratches I was really immersed in the game.

BTW I also like Dark Fall, but it's also 1st person, though not 3d I think (that's 'Dark Fall' not 'Darkfall').
Thinking of it, I don't know that many horror adventure games that are 3rd person.

Mandle

Quote from: HandsFree on Fri 17/11/2017 19:58:52
Thinking of it, I don't know that many horror adventure games that are 3rd person.

Much harder to jumpscare the player in 3rd person.

Buckethead

My favorite is Deadly premonition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLlHrSt7U-Y

Despite the scene, there are actually some creepy moments too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk