Issues with full screen -game appearing in small box in middle of screen[SOLVED]

Started by shaun9991, Fri 17/11/2017 12:11:39

Previous topic - Next topic

shaun9991

Hi guys,

Forgive what is possibly a dumb question - but a few people have noticed that when they play Legend of Hand the game is running like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut1pkDlYBTE&t when launched, ie, in a little box in the centre of the screen, surrounded by black. I can't seem to replicate this on my own computers. The native resolution is 640x400 and the winsetup.exe included with the game is set to "Stretch to fit screen" by default, as well as running the game at desktop resolution, so I'm not sure why this happens.

Anyone know why this could be happening? Is it a known issue with super hi-res monitors and AGS games? I can get the full details from winsetup.exe tonight when I get home.

Thanks,
Shaun

ps the game was compiled with the latest version of AGS
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Khris

Created a 640x400 32bit game using AGS 3.40 and ran it on Win 7 / GeForce GTX 970

Driver: didn't matter
Mode: Desktop resolution: (1920 x 1080)
Scaling: Stretch to fit screen (preserve aspect ratio)

I'm getting an image scaled to 1728x1080, with narrow black bars on either side, exactly like it's supposed to be.
Choosing 1280 x 720 also worked fine, btw.

Edit:
The youtube video suggests this is played on a laptop with a Desktop resolution of 1366x768.
Using the above settings on my own 1366x768 laptop, the game is again scaled perfectly fine: just narrow black bars on both sides.
I can also easily replicate the video: when I switch to "Max round multiplier", which is x1 due to 768/400 = 1.92, that's what I see on the screen: a huge black border on all sides.

Edit2:
Which is exactly what happens when AGS can't find a acsetup.cfg file, btw. I deleted the one in the game folder and the one in ~/Saved Games/[Game Name]/ and the engine fell back to "max round multiplier".

shaun9991

Hi Khris!

Thanks so much for looking into this!

Your Edit 2 has found the root of the issue. The game was running fine for me because the .cfg existed in my Saved Games folder. However, deleting the save game folder - to mimic a fresh install from Steam - means the game defaults back to Max Round multiplier etc when the game is loaded up for the first time. Do you know how I can avoid this happening - as obviously someone installing the game for the first time will not have this .cfg file in the Saved Games folder. Even though the other .cfg file exists in the game folder, it still reverts back to Max round multiplier.

I hope this makes sense! :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: shaun9991 on Fri 17/11/2017 18:37:02
Your Edit 2 has found the root of the issue. The game was running fine for me because the .cfg existed in my Saved Games folder. However, deleting the save game folder - to mimic a fresh install from Steam - means the game defaults back to Max Round multiplier etc when the game is loaded up for the first time. Do you know how I can avoid this happening - as obviously someone installing the game for the first time will not have this .cfg file in the Saved Games folder. Even though the other .cfg file exists in the game folder, it still reverts back to Max round multiplier.

This was an oversight on my part since AGS 3.3.5, that you cannot set default game config by convenient means anymore.
Since AGS 3.4.1 you can use "Default Setup" pane in the editor for that.
Before 3.4.1 - edit configuration with winsetup, then copy file from Saved Games to Compiled folder.

shaun9991

Ah ha! Thanks Crimson Wizard :D
edit: This completely solved the issue - copied the file from the save folder into the game folder and this worked! :) Thanks again!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk