AGS games - rpg style with turn-based combat?

Started by ChaunceyK, Tue 13/11/2018 18:00:16

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaunceyK

TL;DR - what are some of the better rpgs with turn-based combat here on AGS?

===============================

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here, but I'm no stranger to AGS games.  I played the original Sierra "Quest" adventure games as they came out in the 80s/90s, and I've played their remakes here on AGS.  They were my favorite style of game for a long time.

My interests shifted as time went on, as rpgs with turn-based combat became more available.  I loved the game engines of Might & Magic 3-5, Fallout 1 & 2, Shadowrun Returns, and some of the more indy "retro" style games like Geneforge & Eschalon.  I don't like real-time combat, I'm just not coordinated enough to master the WASD and mouse at the same time, lol.

So, what do you all recommend I try out here on AGS?

Thanks in advance.

Crimson Wizard

EDIT: oh, nevermind, I thought you were asking about making such game with AGS.

cat

I think ChaunceyK does not want to write a game but get recommendations for AGS games with turn-based combat. This is something I don't like, so I haven't played any. AFAIK Quest for Glory II VGA: Trial By Fire has some RPG elements.

Edit: I just read that you already have played the Sierra Quest remakes. You might want to try the other games in this style like Heroine Quest or Quest for Infamy(commercial) but as said before, I haven't played them.

selmiak

I think RPG maker does out of the box what you want to do. Doing it in AGS can be an exercise in coding, if you're into that. This would involve lots of coding, but once you have a framework coded it should be quite fun to do in AGS.

ChaunceyK

Sorry for any confusion.  If I posted in the wrong sub-forum, please kindly re-direct me.

Yes, I'm looking for the better AGS games that fit the description of RPGs with turn-based combat for me to play (not for me to create something from).  I had already used the search function for RPG and for turn-based, but I was kinda overwhelmed with the results.  Figured it'd just be easier to ask for recommendations. :smiley:

cat

The sub-forum is perfectly fine. There was confusion because many people come here and ask if it is possible to make RPGs with AGS. The answer is yes, but there are much better suited engines out there. This is probably the reason why there are not many RPGs made with AGS.

Sorry I can't help you with finding more games besides the ones I've already mentioned :(

ChaunceyK

I'll have a poke around on my own then, see if there are any on here that go outside the norm & meet my requirements.  If I find anything, I'll post it to this thread so others can see what's out there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk