Adventure point click and Cinematic platformers

Started by Mehrdad, Wed 29/11/2017 15:30:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Mehrdad

Hi

Before anything sorry for my bad English.

Lastly, I finished 'Inside' game and before that 'Limbo' and more time ago 'Another world','Flashback' and so on. All of this games are in Cinematic Platformer genre that involved the player with action and story. In this gerne we haven't any dialogue or so minimal like Flashback .Also player only can move to left or right and haven't any pathfinding .

I want to know how is degree immersion of this games in comapre with classic adventures? And can we tell great story in same way? I appreciate any advise or suggestions
I'm sure most of members in this froum playing Another world game. I strongly suggestion see Inside game too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op4G1--kb-g
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

CaptainD

Well those type of games follow a similar pattern to adventure games in some ways - narrative, explore the environment, solve some puzzles, get to the next narrative point (cut scene).  To me they never feel as immersive as you lack the player character interacting with their environment and other characters, and even the player themselves - not the cinematic platformers don't do this at all, but it's to a lesser extent.

So yeah cinematic platformers can tell a good story and really draw you in to the game world, be interesting and fun to play, but its a totally different experience to a traditional point and click.  I'm trying to think of a good comparison and to me it's a little like the difference between a graphic novel with limited dialogue compared to reading a book - they both have their place and they can both be very enjoyable, but you can't really compare the two directly.

Babar

An interesting way to distinguish them, D,but then how would you describe dialogue minimalistic games like Dropsy, or the creature portions of the critter chronicles?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

CaptainD

Quote from: Babar on Wed 29/11/2017 20:03:31
An interesting way to distinguish them, D,but then how would you describe dialogue minimalistic games like Dropsy, or the creature portions of the critter chronicles?

Um... pop-up books?  I don't know tbh!

Mandle

Maybe also check out "Until I Have You" a cinematic platformer made in AGS by a few geniuses!

ollj

cinematic platformers suffer from
- timing puzzles
- 3d platforming (poorly estimating speed and distance)
- silent protagonist, setting is a big part of the narrative, environmental narrative of a 4510-genre
- cinematography focus (often just distracts from interactivity)
- hard resets from fail states

adventure games suffer from
- occlusion in 3d space
- slow pacing
- repetitive dialog

Kumpel

Maybe check out the Trine series or the classic platformer Heart of darkness. Also I really liked Bermuda Syndrome. And Thomas was alone and of course Braid has been nice too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk