Nov MAG: The Gourmet

Started by Slasher, Thu 30/11/2017 06:37:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

------------------- November's MAG: 'Contest' by Riaise -------------------

The Gourmet
A cultural experience of an adapted 50's comedy radio show.
Download The Gourmet

Background:
Those that remember Hancock's Half Hour will understand the comedic content. The series was written by the great duo Galton and Simpson between 1954 and 1961.
The show started off on radio and it is this period that I chose to pay homage to the show.
The episode I chose was called 'The Gourmet' and as far as I am aware it was never made for television.
The script for this game has been adapted and amended to suit the game idiom.

This is more of a cultural experience than a game although there are a few interactive elements along the way like choosing items from a menu. Put the dog out, draw the curtains, Sit back, relax and indulge in pure comedy genius....

Characters:
There are three central Characters:
* Tony
* Sid
* Bill

Tony is a short, stout man who owns a terraced house in Cheam. He is a bachelor and lives alone. He has a lower than average intellect but fantasizes that he has a much higher intellect and believes he knows about things more than others. He believes he knows about Kipling, Byron, Shakespeare, Dickens and about all the famous artists when in fact he knows very little apart from what he's read in Reader's Digest. He has very few friends as they can see right through him. This never stops him trying to impress people. He often lodges out rooms to people so he can 'educate' them in the finer points of food, art and literature.

Sid is a street-wise man who has been around the block a few times. He is a wheeler and dealer and is often involved in petty crimes though nothing major. He lodges with Tony as the rent is cheap and he can often wrap Tony around his finger. He often gets Tony involved in his schemes which generally fail much to Tony's bemusement.

Bill is an Australian and is a 'Tag along' man who has very few friends and often tags along with who ever he can. Ever since he met Sid in a boozer he has tagged along with him. He often falls in with Sid's schemes. He also lodges with Tony from time to time. Tony hates Bill calling him 'Tubs' which he does every time.

Story Line: Sid meets a man in a pub who is a promoter of eating contests. Sid's mind immediately draws to Tony who loves food and says he is a gourmet. Always looking for a quick buck Sid talks Tony into entering the eating contest. Enter Steam-Shovel Tony!

Scenes:
* The Restaurant
* The Extraction
* The Contest
* The Finale

Specs:
320 x 200
32 bit color
D3d 9

bon appetit (laugh)

Download The Gourmet

CaptainD

Haha what a lovely idea for a game!  Have you used the original dialogue in this?

Slasher

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 30/11/2017 09:17:21
Haha what a lovely idea for a game!  Have you used the original dialogue in this?
Not 100% exactly... The sort of phrases I used were close alternatives... Did not want to plagiarizer too much (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk