Trivial Pass You It (MAGS entry for Nov 2017)

Started by Mandle, Thu 30/11/2017 15:09:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

TRIVIAL PASS YOU IT

FINALLY AN AGS APPLICATION WHERE YOU CAN PLAY, ADD TO, CREATE FROM SCRATCH, AND/OR SHARE SETS OF TRIVIA QUESTIONS WITH OTHER PEOPLE VIA A CLUMSY INTERFACE!!!

WILL YOU FIND MENTION OF YOURSELF AND/OR YOUR CREATIONS IN THE AGS TRIVIA SET??? (I'm seriously sorry if you don't but you can add them yourself if not...)

The game as it is should give you a 10 question trivia quiz about the AGS community when you click on the "Answer Questions" button. The quiz is replayable and also you can add your own questions if you wish to and this expanded save game file will be sharable to others. Read the INSTRUCTIONS text file in the game folder to find out more about adding questions. Please read this file before clicking on the "Add Questions" button when you first play the game.

There are maybe about 70 questions in the database save game but questions will probably be repeated at times. Sorry about that for my lazy coding. I know how to fix it but it would probably break my save game files of trivia sets which took a lot of time to create so please accept this flaw for now as a "feature" where you get a second or third chance at a question you might have gotten wrong before (laugh) .

There are also three extra "agssave.099" Trivia Quizes located in seperate folders within the folder titled: PUT ALL SAVED TRIVIA HERE IN SEPARATE FOLDERS

Instructions are included in the game folder but they might be unclear so here is what you do if you wish to play a different quiz:

Copy the "agssave.099" save file from within either "Movie Trivia", "TV Trivia", or "Capital Cities Trivia" and then paste it to replace the same file in the folder "User Saves" inside the folder "Saved Trivia" in the main game folder.

The original "AGS Trivia" save game is still available in its own folder so don't worry that you might lose it.

As mentioned earlier you can add questions to any game save file or you can make a completely new set of questions by deleting the "agssave.099" file currently in the "Saved Trivia/User Saves" folder and running the game again (ignore the error message when doing so. Lazy coding again on my part. The game will create your new set of questions and answers properly.

The first field to fill in is the question.

The second field is the correct answer.

The next three fields are the incorrect answers.

The game will shuffle the answers each time the question is asked into a different order.

Argh, it sounds so complicated to use but it's actually quite simple I hope.

IMPORTANT: Remember that if you have just created a new set of questions or added to an existing one you MUST copy/paste the current "agssave.099" file in "Saved Trivia/Usersaves" back into your own custom folder to keep that version secure. The game only undates the save game file currently located in "Saved Trivia/Usersaves".

THIS IS THE FINAL RELEASE VERSION OF THE GAME FOR THIS MAGS.

It includes an expanded version of the original AGS Trivia question set and also much thanks to Riaise for creating a set of Capital City Trivia questions which is also included, bringing the total of categories to 4!!!

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE GAME

Click'd

A couple of times the first and second questions were identical.

Mandle

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Thu 30/11/2017 16:06:12
A couple of times the first and second questions were identical.

Yeah, sorry about that "feature". It was lazy coding that I had planned to fix but then created way too many questions to want to go back and recode and risk breaking the savegame file.

So now it's a "feature" where you can sometimes retry a question you failed before but mostly get annoyed by repeated questions.

Mandle

If anyone makes their own Q&A decks within the game (like Riaise did) or expands a current deck and makes the deck(s) available for download I will include them in the downloadable game package.

Cassiebsg

I was going to but the game froze and now it won't start again. :-\
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 02/12/2017 14:40:53

Oh, that's a worry...

Could you describe what you were doing when the game crashed and what happens when you try to start the game?

Did you only delete the save game file in "Saved Trivia/User Saves" or did you delete the whole folder?

KyriakosCH

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 02/12/2017 14:40:53

Okay, Cassie updated me via PM and it seems that after redownloading the game everything is working fine. It appears she may have done something slightly wrong the first time which caused the crash.

Such a relief because I would hate to change any code and potentially render the save game files incompatible because they took much longer to create than the game itself... (laugh)

Creamy

Nice idea ;-D

I wrote a new deck called International expressions. This trivia contains funny expressions from all over the world translated literally.
Can you figure out what they mean ?

selmiak

Great idea and fun execution of the idea. Though it would be a better experience with some check so that in one round no double questions appear.

Mandle

Quote from: Creamy on Mon 04/12/2017 13:57:22
Nice idea ;-D

I wrote a new deck called International expressions. This trivia contains funny expressions from all over the world translated literally.
Can you figure out what they mean ?

Awesome! I'll add it to the game download ASAP!

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 04/12/2017 16:34:27
Great idea and fun execution of the idea. Though it would be a better experience with some check so that in one round no double questions appear.

Yeah, I was too scared to change the code and break the save games. After the MAGS is over I'll look into a way to "disable" this "feature"...

Mandle

I just played Creamy's set of International Expressions questions through quite a few times and it is amazing fun!!!

I have included it in the regular download package for the game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk