Last & Furious (MAGS Nov 2017 entry)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Fri 01/12/2017 17:38:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 03/01/2018 09:38:39
Having said that, MAG virgin Crimson

0.o

I did 2 MAGS games before :):
2009 September, called "The Deed": http://www.mags-competition.info/?page=games&start=241
2009 October, called "One of a kind": http://www.mags-competition.info/?page=games&start=237

Creamy

QuoteWhat's not so funny, is creamy's ridiculousely fast run... I am not even near that lap times.. 47 secs for one lap is a rarity (roll)

??? ??? ???

Spoiler
[close]

shaun9991

Absolutely incredible AGS wizardry! Looks like a game I would have spent hours playing on the Amiga :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Crimson Wizard

I still do not know if I am going to work on "better" version of the game, so decided to publish the game's sources.
It is not in repository anywhere (at least not yet), so simple download link for now:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsd49x9i6f7svsg/Last%27n%27Furious-Source.zip?dl=0

Source (script and art) is licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 4.0, which basically means you can do anything with the source (even make your own commercial games with it) so long as you credit original authors (me for the code, and Jim Reed for the art).

Game music is not covered by this license, each track has its own author and license, as noted in Music/licenses.txt.

You will also find Readme.txt, with brief instructions on how to build the game and edit game's data.

I believe that the script is in a pretty good shape. But due time constraints some parts were written hastily, have various hacks; the code style is also not always consistent.
Comments were added only during development, when time and mood permitted.
Some of the script modules are not used by the game anymore, namely VehicleSimple is the first variant of car physics, and RotatedView is a module that is used to dynamically create rotated versions of a sprite and assign them to the given view (silly idea when I wanted car to have only 8 or 16 visual directions).
Timer module featured in this source is an early version of this module, and may contain bugs, but I forgot to update it.

Kumpel

Thanks for publishing the source files! 8-0
I tried to get behind the magic al little bit (and how much moddable the design is to f.e. build my own tracks for it), but it seems the version you uploaded is broken. If I am trying to start the game, the cars don't move. Not in the demo mode and not when I am trying to start a game. Could you take another look please?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Kumpel on Wed 28/03/2018 00:12:52
Thanks for publishing the source files! 8-0
I tried to get behind the magic al little bit (and how much moddable the design is to f.e. build my own tracks for it), but it seems the version you uploaded is broken. If I am trying to start the game, the cars don't move. Not in the demo mode and not when I am trying to start a game. Could you take another look please?

Did you copy "Data" folder to "Compiled/Windows"?
There is a readme.txt with instructions for setting up and editing the game.

Kumpel

Of course... not. Thanks! Now the game seems to have a problem with saving the checkpoints. It won't find the file. Is it a win10 problem? Do I have to manually create a folder in appdatadir? Where exactly? But why does loading work though?

And do you know how to do another track and let the game use it without editing the original room? Copying the whole room script and changing the Player.changeroom from the game menu script to the new created track room alone doesn't work. Your camera won't move to the start/finish line (which is exactly at the same spot). Found some eRoom305 events but I can't get behind the implementation of these to alter the code. Maybe it is all just too sophisticated for me to fiddle around with it (roll)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Kumpel on Thu 29/03/2018 17:45:34
Of course... not. Thanks! Now the game seems to have a problem with saving the checkpoints. It won't find the file. Is it a win10 problem? Do I have to manually create a folder in appdatadir? Where exactly? But why does loading work though?

Does it show any errors? Did you follow instructions in the readme and setup a custom user data path, or just let it save to C:/ProgramData?

Quote from: Kumpel on Thu 29/03/2018 17:45:34
And do you know how to do another track and let the game use it without editing the original room? Copying the whole room script and changing the Player.changeroom from the game menu script to the new created track room alone doesn't work. Your camera won't move to the start/finish line (which is exactly at the same spot).

The game does not necessarily support multiple tracks out of the box. The script was never finished for that. A lot of things need to be redone there.
For example, right now it does not distinguish checkpoints file, ai setup file etc between the tracks - it will always read same ones.
Alot of code is unnecessarily put into room script, for example UI drawing need to be extracted into separate script.

Kumpel

Works now. I didn't know there was a difference beetween ProgramData and Program Files (laugh)

Setting up the AI is crazy though. Do you have any scales for me so that I know what a specific speed, threshold or radius value means? The readme is a little bit unspecific there.

And scrolling inside the editor mode would be cool (shouldn't be too hard to code, right?) although driving through the track to configure the nodes is a fun idea := (But I really had to deactivate obstacles. Ain't nobody got time for that! (laugh) )

Thanks again for the CC licence :)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Kumpel on Sat 31/03/2018 01:17:20
Do you have any scales for me so that I know what a specific speed, threshold or radius value means? The readme is a little bit unspecific there.

Threshold and radius are literally in pixels, speed is pixels per second. IIRC the road is about 100 pixels wide, so 50 pixel radius for node put at the middle would cover whole road.
But these values are only meant for the reference, I do not have any formula or a method to predict the suitable ones. The process of setting path nodes is strictly trial and error, and a bit of intuition.
I was making AI part by part, moving starting position of player's car in script to avoid need of driving whole way by myself. I would sit there at some corner, wait for AI cars, check out how they pass it, adjust nodes, restart, adjust, restart, and so on. Took me about half of day (and that was the last day before deadline...).

selmiak

Does this mean there will be a new track to drive on soon?

a Leveleditor would be cool to have. Or even better something like the awards client where you meet up with 4 other drivers in an IRC channel for a chat and then play against the others online... in 10 years :-D 8-)

Crimson Wizard

Sorry for bumping this, there's no actual update, but I wanted to mention that I finally took time to create a proper repository for the game source, instead of dropbox archive

https://github.com/ivan-mogilko/ags-lastfurious

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

eri0o

Retro Wolf

eri0o

QuoteIs this our new local meme?

Yes!

About the actual project, that's a damn good README, I want to dive into the code soon, because I want to understand how the ini options were created. :) Very cool seeing the code!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eri0o on Thu 21/03/2019 17:08:16
About the actual project, that's a damn good README, I want to dive into the code soon, because I want to understand how the ini options were created. :)

I should ammend this to the credits, I am using IniFile module by WyZ:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=46631.0

Creamy

Thanks for making the source code available, Crimson Wizard.

I try to use it for my MAGS game. It's working great but I have a problem:  I need to draw some objects behind the characters.
Is there a simpler way to do it than this?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Creamy on Sun 13/10/2019 20:04:36
I try to use it for my MAGS game. It's working great but I have a problem:  I need to draw some objects behind the characters.
Is there a simpler way to do it than this?

Please elaborate, what behavior do you have in mind?
Is anything prevents you from simply using room objects or other characters for this?

Creamy

The expected behaviour: the player controls a paper plane with an adjective written on it. It passes over pictures. When the player is over the right picture and press the spacebar, the picture changes.

I can't use different backgrounds because I have several pictures that must be changed individually.

I can't use objects because they are always drawn on top of the character's dynamic sprite, notwithstanding the baselines.

The normal characters behave the same way (always drawn on top).
Maybe I could use one of your AI characters. Is there a way to disable the collisions?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk