Critique on office background

Started by ZincWit, Mon 27/11/2017 21:17:41

Previous topic - Next topic

ZincWit

So I'm pretty new to this all but I decided to make an adventure game. So I drew a few backgrounds but I can't help but feel like something is missing with the last one I did. Something doesn't feel right and I can't put my finger on it, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out why the background doesn't work so well, or maybe it just me! Thank you for reading!

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/QIi1cy1.png[/imgzoom]

Click'd

I'd use a different colour for either the walls or the floor.

Smarty

Hey there ZincWit, this looks really cool for a few reasons:
1) The lighting works well ie. the shadows cast the right way from the light sources.
2) The background shows good depth ie. has a foreground that is obviously separated from the wall and furniture and doesn't lose itself at all.
3) Looks like the office of somebody who is maybe a little obsessive with coffee! ;)

QuotePosted by: ClickClickClick  » Date: Today at 01:03 Insert Quote
- I agree but don't lose that 'dank n gloomy' feeling!

All in all this looks great! Can't wait to see more! :)

Mandle

The desk lamp needs a smaller version of itself chasing a ball around :P

Seriously though: It's a beautiful BG!!! I think what might be disturbing your eye is the lack of much going on in the top quarter of the picture? Maybe some paintings hanging there or other form of decoration appropriate to the office owner's personality?

ZincWit

QuoteI'd use a different colour for either the walls or the floor.

Now that you mention it it wouldn't be a bad idea to seperate the two a bit more. Thanks!

QuoteHey there ZincWit, this looks really cool for a few reasons:
1) The lighting works well ie. the shadows cast the right way from the light sources.
2) The background shows good depth ie. has a foreground that is obviously separated from the wall and furniture and doesn't lose itself at all.
3) Looks like the office of somebody who is maybe a little obsessive with coffee! ;)

Posted by: ClickClickClick  » Date: Today at 01:03 Insert Quote
- I agree but don't lose that 'dank n gloomy' feeling!

All in all this looks great! Can't wait to see more! :)

Hey! Hahah, thanks for the kind words! Really appriciate them. I'm glad you noticed the person might be a little bit too addicted to coffee.

QuoteThe desk lamp needs a smaller version of itself chasing a ball around :P

Seriously though: It's a beautiful BG!!! I think what might be disturbing your eye is the lack of much going on in the top quarter of the picture? Maybe some paintings hanging there or other form of decoration appropriate to the office owner's personality?

Oh man, it's been a long time since ive seen that animation, might be nice for a reference somwhere :)

Thank you! And yes maybe it's a bit abrput that its so empty, i'll mess around see what I can add, thanks for the ideas!

Creamy

There's something slightly off with the perspective.

The red lines should be parallel or converge towards a point.

Very good still :)

ZincWit

Oh damn,I knew it was a little off but not that much. Thanks i'll try to fix it up a bit!

Creamy

Your picture doesn't look so bad because there's some kind of curved perpective thrown in it:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk