Any game with genuinely horrific atmosphere?

Started by KyriakosCH, Sun 17/12/2017 14:12:06

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Adventure or similar (eg action-adventure, puzzle etc) :)

I think that 8-bit gfx may help in that respect. There was a recent (afaik; don't recall the title now but saw a youtube video of it) action-adventure with gfx that seemed to allude to the Amstrad/Commodore 64 "Jet set Willy" game, and even used the Moonlight Sonata (as a bootleg -possibly- version of JSW on Amstrad did) :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Danvzare

Well what's considered a truely horrific atmosphere, is purely subjective.
I don't really consider 8-bit gfx to be scary, no matter how much indie games might be trying to tell me otherwise.

The scariest atmosphere I've ever seen on a game though is The Cathedral on Thief: The Dark Project.
The Cradle from Thief 3: Deadly Shadows gets a close second.
And the Ocean House Hotel from Vampire: The Masquerade â€" Bloodlines gets an even closer third.

You'll notice that none of these are horror games. Yet they all contain (for me at least) the most horrifying levels I've ever seen in games.
For some reason, non-horror games do horror better than actual horror games. Probably because actual horror games usually don't have decent gameplay to back it up.

Ali

Soma and Amnesia are both very scary survival horrors, on the first-person adventure end of the spectrum. Amnesia is more classic horror, but Soma is has better writing and characterisation.

Bavolis

I remember the Blackstone Chronicles (1998?) being pretty intense for an adventure/puzzle game.

Blondbraid

I think Alice: Madness returns has some of the most disturbing scenery I've seen in a game, since it takes place inside the imaginary world in Alice's mind.
The story is that Alice, traumatized after her family die in a fire, end up in an orphanage run by an outwardly respectable man, but Alice suffers a series of hallucinations
as result of her trauma, and enters an imaginary wonderland that's a twisted reflection of her real world.

The game contains lots of gore and morbid imagery, but the real horror comes from slowly realizing what the broken toys and dolls with hollowed out eyes and torn dresses symbolize in the real world and the things Alice witness in the orphanage.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk