QOL feature suggestion: scroll bars in GUI editor window

Started by Lord Vetinari, Wed 20/12/2017 09:18:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Vetinari

As the title says. Depending on the resolution and size of your monitor and the size of the GUI (especially if you're working with high resolutions), it's possible that some bits of it end up out of the editor window and, unlike rooms, there's no zoom nor scroll bars to move around and see the whole thing.
I'm working on a small test project at 1920x1200, I'm making a status bar that spans the whole top of the screen (and therefore is 1920 pixels wide), and its left side is constantly out of sight; to work with that corner of the GUI I have to hide the Project tree and Properties windows every time to let the main editor window stretch the whole screen, which is not really a big deal but can get annoying after a while.
Would it be doable to add at least scroll bars?

Cassiebsg

I've reported this problem before too...
Wait until you're working on a different computer with a smaller res... you will never be able to reach those parts... 8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Lord Vetinari

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 20/12/2017 19:22:31
I've reported this problem before too...
Wait until you're working on a different computer with a smaller res... you will never be able to reach those parts... 8-0

Yep, very annoying, but there's a workaround for that too: if you un-maximize (is that a word?) AGS's entire window, you can slide it partially out of the screen, then drag one of it's side to resize it. Rinse and repeat until you manage to reach the hidden corner of the GUI, then restore it to it's original size and maximize it again.

Cassiebsg

Nicely thought. (nod)

Though, would be nice to not need workarounds like that. :-\

cat

Quote from: Lord Vetinari on Wed 20/12/2017 09:18:59
Would it be doable to add at least scroll bars?
+1

For one game I made a GUI that is twice the size of the screen resolution and is moved during the game. This has two issues: I'm missing scroll bars to see every part of it and I get an annoying warning when compiling.

selmiak

the warning probably has it's use when you resize your game and only see the whole gui and think it's allright and it's an obscure part of your menues you don't bother to check over and over again and compile the game and don't see that it's still twice the new gamesize as it looks okay when just checking the gui in the editor, just one example from the top of my head. So the editor has a reason to warn you of oversize GUIs, but maybe giving the GUI the permission to be bigger than gamesize with a simple option in the GUI editing panel that nulls the warning could help.
maybe even switching this by script at runtime could help, i have no example though, maybe for some guis drawn a runtime, or it is just overkill? but then someone surely finds a reason to change this at runtime for his game in some years and so, I mention it already ;)

cat

When an author resizes the whole game and does not bother to check if it is still working correctly, it can't be helped anyway...

Crimson Wizard

I made scrollbars for the next 3.4.1 patch: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/pull/466
So annoying to think that the fix could have been made in just several hours, but no one did in years :/.

Depending on how other fixes progress, it may be released in the end of this week, or next one.

Hmm, zoom probably may be added also, since coordinates are now converted using full formulas. Just need to add zoom control (same as in room editor?).

Cassiebsg

Crimson Wizard

This made into AGS 3.4.1 - Patch 3, please report any problems in the release thread.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk