Mittens 2018 confirmed - Boston 15-22 September

Started by AGA, Thu 04/01/2018 22:28:46

Previous topic - Next topic

m0rph84

However, I will warn you that both options we're looking at say no children under 2 are allowed on site (for safety reasons).  If you wanted, you could probably work out some way of doing it though.  You visit us during the day, then go home to your family at night, or you stay with us and visit them every day or two.  Whatever you feel comfortable with!  Of course, if you didn't sleep at the house you wouldn't need to pay a full share of the costs.

Sounds good! I saw you booked from 15-22 September.
Let me know how I have to pay my share and how much I have to pay if I do not sleep there.

Thanks!

AGA

We're paying for the accommodation, not the company, so if you don't use a bed I don't think there's any need to pay...  Please try to work out ASAP whether you'll want a bed though!

m0rph84

Oh ok no, due to my situation I don't think I'll need a bed.
Thanks!

arj0n

I was waiting to receive news from the hospital, which is also the reason why I haven't answered the Mittens-PM's yet.
This news finally came in yesterday: I will be hospitalized in the beginning of September, for my right-side arm & wrist.
I was hoping they scheduled it after Mittens, but that's not the case. Therefor I'm sadly not able to join Mittens this year... :(

Sorry for any delay or whatsoever caused by me, and I hope y'all have a great time!!

Privateer Puddin'

Hope all goes well with the arm!

JenniBee

If there's still a spot open, I'd love to go.

Snarky

Hi JenniBee. Maybe AGA isn't checking the forums right now, but since there were at last count three open spots, I'm sure you're welcome!

Also:

Quote from: Disco on Wed 31/01/2018 15:04:55
Quote from: Snarky on Fri 19/01/2018 15:47:04
If anyone is keen, it would be nice to take a road trip around New England as well.

That would be grand! Of particular interest to me is Vermont/New Hampshire, but wouldn't mind trying to visit all the states if time and itinerary allow.

Probably about time to book flights, so should we make some firmer plans than this? I was thinking something like three, maybe four days? Before or after Mittens? Late September is getting into Fall Foliage season in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, which might be nice but is also peak tourist season there. (The American obsession with leaves changing colors has always seemed a bit weird to me, but maybe I just don't realize what I'm missing.)

Privateer Puddin'

I'm not ready to book flights yet but I am planning on being there longer than just Mittens so a maybe for New England stuff?

AGA

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 01/04/2018 11:59:36
Hi JenniBee. Maybe AGA isn't checking the forums right now, but since there were at last count three open spots, I'm sure you're welcome!

I already sent her a PM!

AGA

So do we have any plans for [rental] cars?  Will anyone be driving their own car?  Tamara has said she wouldn't mind driving a rental.

Disco

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 01/04/2018 11:59:36
Probably about time to book flights, so should we make some firmer plans than this? I was thinking something like three, maybe four days? Before or after Mittens? Late September is getting into Fall Foliage season in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, which might be nice but is also peak tourist season there. (The American obsession with leaves changing colors has always seemed a bit weird to me, but maybe I just don't realize what I'm missing.)

Yes! I was thinking about the same number of days. Going before Mittens would perhaps be better for me personally, but I am fine with whichever time is best for those involved. Having lived in Michigan my entire life, I am spoiled by fall foliage colours every single year, so peak time does not concern me :P

Snarky

Sounds good! On balance I think pre-Mittens works better for a road trip, anyway. After a week stuck together in a house I'm liable to get cranky. (laugh)

I just cleared the vacation days with my work, so I'm ready! Looking at flight options, right now the best deal would be to arrive in Boston (Logan) at 6:50PM on Tuesday 11. September, alternatively Wednesday at the same time if we want a shorter trip. So we wouldn't get very far out of Boston that first night. (There's no good option that arrives in the morning, what with time zones.)

Quote from: AGA on Mon 02/04/2018 14:38:09
So do we have any plans for [rental] cars?  Will anyone be driving their own car?  Tamara has said she wouldn't mind driving a rental.

I can do a rental as well. But also, in the Boston region it should be easy enough to get an Uber or Lyft if we need it, right? I wonder if it might even be cheaper  if we don't use the rentals every day or for very long trips.

AGA

Bear in mind of course that "an" Uber/Lyft would actually have to be four.  Same for rentals of course, but I imagine trying to coordinate the arrival of four separate external drivers would be more awkward than being in control of our own transport.

AGA

Quote from: AGA on Wed 04/04/2018 05:54:54
Bear in mind of course that "an" Uber/Lyft would actually have to be four.  Same for rentals of course, but I imagine trying to coordinate the arrival of four separate external drivers would be more awkward than being in control of our own transport.

So what do we think?  Does really no one see the need for car rental(s)?

Privateer Puddin'

I feel like car rentals would be better, but I don't drive and can understand if people don't want to be lumbered with doing all the driving.

Layabout

We will probably have a rental car since we are travelling down from NY with Francisco.
I am Jean-Pierre.

AGA

So would this road trip people have mentioned involve renting a car?  Tamara has said she wouldn't mind being a driving slave if she rented.  That, plus Layabout/Grundislav's rental, and the car scotch is planning to bring, would actually give us more than enough space, especially if there's also another roadtrip rental...

Snarky

I will rent a car for the road trip, and can certainly keep it for the Mittens week as well.

Could you please send out the actual address of the house to the people who are going? (It appears to be here, but Google only knows it as "Spouting Horns Road", which is otherwise a fantastic name.) The ESTA Visa-waiver form asks for the address of stay, although you don't have to fill it in if not known.

This is also a quick reminder to everybody not from the US to make sure to get your travel documents in order.

Layabout

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 27/05/2018 11:08:25
This is also a quick reminder to everybody not from the US to make sure to get your travel documents in order.
Thanks Snarky, I did think about the ETSA a month ago, but forgot about it. Such a silly thing.
I am Jean-Pierre.

MillsJROSS

Just booked all my travel! I'll be coming in late on the 15th, won't touch down till 10:30pm.

Leaving by train at 11:00 the following Saturday. Looking forward to seeing some new and old faces.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk