Stupid Video Shop Owners

Started by Soft, Gooey, Delicious., Sun 20/04/2003 13:10:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Soft, Gooey, Delicious.

I went to hire a dvd this evening. I got to the shop and choose something I thought would go with the six pack I had already bought. I.e. trashy crap that's funny when you're a bit tipsy. I took it to the counter and tell the guy I need to get a card since this was my first time at this particular shop. Then the guy, who was slightly deformed, tells me I need a credit card. To hire a dvd. I thought this was ridiculous. I don't have a credit card. I told him this. He still wouldn't give me a card. I think I should write to the owner of the store. The End.

Has this happened to anyone else?

* edit.  Alcohol's the best thing ever.
Kant was a dirty deontologist fuck.
the fade.
Yeeha!
Call me...  now

Scummbuddy

Ummm... dude.

You need a credit card to start an account.  It happens everywhere. they need it for collateral, really.  Those videos cost like 200 dollars each to them.

and i guess to 'hire' a dvd, means to rent one.
oh, and dont drink.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Femme Stab Mode >:D

They need your credit card number so they can steal all your money and flee to Mexico. I don't drink either  :P
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Soft, Gooey, Delicious.

Quote from: Scummbuddy on Sun 20/04/2003 15:04:18
You need a credit card to start an account.  It happens everywhere. they need it for collateral, really.  Those videos cost like 200 dollars each to them.
It's the first time I've been asked for one. I've had accounts at 6 or 7 different places as well. It's just about the most discriminatory thing I've been subjected to, which is good in it's own way. It's still a pain in the arse though. It's as if I'm not to be trusted. But I can't really argue with that, since I wouldn't trust myself.
Kant was a dirty deontologist fuck.
the fade.
Yeeha!
Call me...  now

Squinky

Yep, I've never had to show a credit card before...But I live in a small town in idaho...so...

I guess it does make sense though, those videos they get can sometimes be extremely expensive when they first come out...

Timosity

I've never heard of that happening, I could imagine it happening though, those scamming finacial companies slowly taking over the world.

This is what's really happening, not those pansy dictator types, It's the credit card companies and other financial institutuions that we should really be looking out for, heaps more dangerous, and very sly.

Trapezoid

While we're on the subject of movie renting... does anyone use Netflix? I just signed up the free trial. It sounds nifty as hell.

Squinky

My sister does, she seems to like it...

rodekill

Wanna really hear stupidity?
Blockbuster won't allow more than one membership per household, so if I want to rent something, I'd better pray that no one in my family has have any outstanding late fees.
Does this make any sense? I have a credit card. I'm willing to plunk it down for my own membership. Why the stupidity?
So you know what? I don't rent anything. Ever.
I wish I could find one of those small rental shops like they had when I was a kid. As much as like being able to choose from 600 copies of 'Maid in America', sometimes it'd be nice to be able to find something that's more than six months old.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

Pumaman

When I've joined these places, they seem to either want a credit card or proof of your address (eg. driving license, etc) - which is fair enough. Demanding a credit card does seem rather unfair.

Jimi

When my dad went to join BlockBuster Video's, there was one of those stereotypical "cash register girls" who seems to have a sloooooooowwww annoying voice, and is just basically annoying, we went in with pretty much everything! Credit card, the lot. When we got to the desk, she said he needed to show her his driving licence to prove he was old enough to open an account.... HE'S 42 YEARS OLD FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!! (I hate my Dad. He is a stupid twat, and I hate him.... excuse my language.)

rodekill

SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

Dr. Eric Moreau

Rodekill:

Me and my brother both have seperate membership at the same Blockbuster store. Maybe they don't like you very much......don't they know who you are?!! You should march in there and if they deny you, say what all the celebrity say: "Don't you know who I am!!!!??"
I'm not really a Doctor, but I play one on the internet!------ It's getting hot in heerrrre!! ------ Hey you! Haven't you heard, Ernie's Big Adventure 2 is the shit!Get it here!!!------- Advertise in this space only $10 a month!

RabbitWithFangs

Quote from: CJ on Sun 20/04/2003 19:40:36
When I've joined these places, they seem to either want a credit card or proof of your address (eg. driving license, etc) - which is fair enough. Demanding a credit card does seem rather unfair.
No, They wanted my licence AND a credit card.
Turns out I got a divx copy of panic room off of the lan and watched that. It was crap.

rodekill

Dammit.
I guess I shouldn't have slept with the bosses daughters.
peepee

Darth Mandarb

DVDs aren't as expensive as VHS tapes.  For some reason, when places like Blockbuster get VHS tapes, they're initially from $75 - $100.  Which is rediculous.  But DVDs they get for normal price.

These places ask for/need a credit card.  Otherwise losers would come in, open false accounts, and then never return the product(s).

And rule of thumb;  Don't insult the employees enforcing the rule.  It's company policy, not their's.  And because it's company policy, you can either accept it, or rent elsewhere.

If you want to get mad at somebody, get mad at the losers who caused this to become necessary by stealing product, not the people in charge of keeping their businesses prosperous!

(can any of you tell I used to work at Blockbuster??)

Scummbuddy

Haha....

I remember two years ago in Ocean City Maryland, I went with these 2 girls to rent a movie at the local video store.  We spent some time picking out the right movies and we went up to pay.  I needed a credit card there too, and back then I didnt have one, nor a debit card....   so we couldnt rent the movies, and we went back to her condo  and we watched Dumb and Dumber on TBS.... it all ended well.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

TheYak

Actually, the movies aren't that expensive for the places to purchase.  It runs approximately the MSRP of the initial release + about 10%.

And speaking of Blockbuster vs. local chains..  that's why I like Hollywood video.  They've got the small store's sensability and the Blockbuster selection.  I've never had anything but mediocre to bad experiences with them and every manager of theirs I've met has been an utter throbbing phallus.

rodekill

The reason videos are so expensive when they're first released is because Blockbuster somehow got some system implemented where movies are released to rental places first so people will rent movies before they buy them. Unless they want to cough up the 100$, obviously.
They're currently trying to do the same thing to DVD.

Feel free to not rent anything anymore either.
peepee

remixor

My household has three Blockbuster memberships I think.  My mom has one, my brother has one, and I have one.  I don't live with them since I'm in college, but it's still my permament address and we've never had a problem.  I can't imagine why they wouldn't allow it for you.

Also, I've always needed a credit card to sign up for rental places.  I'm sure that some smaller stores don't require it though.

As far as the cost to the store, my friend works at Blockbuster and from what he tells me it definitely costs them a lot more than MSRP+10% per DVD.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk