Adventure: Welcome to the Genre

Started by Akril15, Tue 23/01/2018 18:17:30

Previous topic - Next topic

BunnyShoggoth

I'm really looking forward to your next project! As usual with trilogies, the first part was great because it had a cool fresh idea, and the final part was even better because it squeezed every drop out of this idea.

My favourite locations were the "cutesy children's room" in the Mega-Game, the Adventure shop with its internal narrator, and the Vertex (was cool to see how characters in Thalia's world spend their free time).

I dig the Cabal, especially Loamy (it is a bit sad that his "toad prince" backstory didn't make it into the game) and LeMort with his "stereotypically villain" appearance and room. IMO, a
"pure oldschool 2D" version of him and his room could be interesting, maybe somewhat like Mort Cadaver's cabinet from KQ7.   

I also loved the idea about "adventure archeology" and the pre-computer origins of the adventure genre. Know what, I have my own idea about this, that perhaps "purely digital" characters existed in some forms and interacted with humans before humans even invented computers. Some paranormal researchers believe that humanity during its whole history has been surrounded by weird teleporting and shapeshifting creatures made of unknown form of energy who manifested themselves as "ghosts", "demons", fairy folk, etc.; sounds really reminiscent of game characters with their changing sprites and CommKeys, doesn't it? ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Trojan_Horse_(book)

Akril15

Thank you very much, BunnyShoggoth!

QuoteI also loved the idea about "adventure archeology" and the pre-computer origins of the adventure genre. Know what, I have my own idea about this, that perhaps "purely digital" characters existed in some forms and interacted with humans before humans even invented computers. Some paranormal researchers believe that humanity during its whole history has been surrounded by weird teleporting and shapeshifting creatures made of unknown form of energy who manifested themselves as "ghosts", "demons", fairy folk, etc.; sounds really reminiscent of game characters with their changing sprites and CommKeys, doesn't it? ;)
That is some interesting stuff. There's probably enough material there to make a whole new game out of (though I doubt I'd be up to the task).

BunnyShoggoth

Quote from: Akril15 on Wed 07/02/2018 11:45:15
There's probably enough material there to make a whole new game out of (though I doubt I'd be up to the task).

Do you have any ideas for your next project? :wink:

Akril15

Quote from: BunnyShoggoth on Thu 08/02/2018 23:21:15
I have a few ideas for much smaller games that I've started fleshing out. I haven't been able to make much headway yet, though.

xandmatt

Binge-played the first two so I can now play this one! Have very much enjoyed the series so far -- there's elements of the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde (which I love).   

EDIT: Aaand I see that Fforde's just been referenced in Thalia's room!

Kini

Loving this so far. Fantastic work. I'll give more feedback when I've completed it, but in the meantime I have a bug to report:

Spoiler
After I got the archeologist to leave, I tried again to pick up her book. The timer cursor appeared and just stayed and stayed, so I couldn't do anything.
[close]

Apologies if this has already been pointed out; I didn't want to read any spoiler comments!

Kini

Hey,

Sorry to be a party pooper, but I have another quick bug to report:

Spoiler
When I tried to give the tape recorder with the recording on it to Rusty Nailbender, my game crashed and I got the following message:

in "unhandled.asc", line 170
from "GlobalScript.asc", line 3589

Error: Error running function 'unhandled_event':
Error: Null pointer referenced
[close]

Kini

OK, I've now finished it. And all I can say is... it was BRILLIANT!

There's so much about this game that I could praise, from the innovative mix of art and gameplay styles to the great story and puzzle design. But I think the highest compliment I can give is that it managed to create a true world that I will miss being in and look forward to returning to one day - something I feel about all the greats of this genre.

On paper, the whole idea for this game is (forgive me) one that I should hate - a meta-y, fan-remake-type mess. But somehow it works so well. I'll be playing the previous games from this series imminently.

In case you can't tell, I'm seriously impressed. Well done. And thank you. I can't wait to see what you do next. :-D

Akril15

Thank you very much for the feedback, Kini!

I was able to fix the problem you reported with Rusty, and another person reported a similar bug with the archeologist, but I was unable to replicate it. At this point, it seems like I'd have to have someone else take a look at that code, because I have no idea what could be causing that problem. Sorry. :(

BunnyShoggoth

Quote from: Akril15 on Fri 09/02/2018 00:02:57
Quote from: BunnyShoggoth on Thu 08/02/2018 23:21:15
I have a few ideas for much smaller games that I've started fleshing out. I haven't been able to make much headway yet, though.

Wishing you the best! Btw, this paranormal researcher I mentioned, John Keel, suggests that the entities we used to know as fairy-tale creatures (gnomes, fairies, demons, etc.), are now pretending to be aliens and representatives of "Intergalactic Federation". So it's quite plausible that the regal Queen Valanice of Daventry would now present herself as the space officer Thalia James ;)

https://secretsun.blogspot.com/2012/06/wizards-workings-and-walk-ins-enter.html

Akril15

Quote from: xandmatt on Sat 24/02/2018 09:56:28
Binge-played the first two so I can now play this one! Have very much enjoyed the series so far -- there's elements of the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde (which I love).   

EDIT: Aaand I see that Fforde's just been referenced in Thalia's room!
Thank you! Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series was a major influence on this series (as you might have picked up by now). The world in the series is more or less the computer game version of the Bookworld.

Quote from: BunnyShoggoth on Mon 26/02/2018 11:41:52
Wishing you the best! Btw, this paranormal researcher I mentioned, John Keel, suggests that the entities we used to know as fairy-tale creatures (gnomes, fairies, demons, etc.), are now pretending to be aliens and representatives of "Intergalactic Federation". So it's quite plausible that the regal Queen Valanice of the Daventry would now present herself as the space officer Thalia James ;)

https://secretsun.blogspot.it/2012/06/wizards-workings-and-walk-ins-enter.html
Interesting. I've read a few sci-fi stories where the fantasy creatures of Earth are actually extraterrestrials (Clifford D. Simak's The Goblin Reservation is a great example).

Akril15

I've uploaded an updated version of the game with a few minor bugs fixed. Hopefully, I haven't accidentally broken anything else. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk