Some requests - walk behinds and layers - pulling the editor to the 20th century

Started by bx83, Tue 23/01/2018 21:08:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: bx83 on Tue 30/01/2018 00:13:11
'Better mask control' means 'having masks which are more than 256 colours'.

Do you mean being able to define RGB combination for mask instead of using palette index? I guess you don't really mean over 256 walkable areas and hotspots in your rooms.

I believe that might be theoretically possible to make Editor work with any random palette, and then convert it to 8-bit mask for the engine. Although I am not convinced that would be the most convenient way to work with masks in practice.

Matti

I tested this for about 10 minutes and it seems to be working fine. This would indeed be a very convenient improvement to the editor!

bx83

Matty: great :) I wait anxiously for the next major release :)  (because installing 2 versions on one computer is... inadvisable)
Crimson: True true; you could include a test picture with the editor (mask_test.BMP), with the first 15 colours shown exactly (like a tv test image), and saved as an 8bit RGB .BMP image? This would be a much simpler solution and would save everyone the hassle of having to create and save an image of an exact specific type.

Actually... there are some things that get me about AGS, namely the regular no-backsies choices.

For example... everything in the Room Editor.
Change the position of the character? Wanna change it back? You can't.
Change border position of walk-behind cut-off position? Oh well, you're screwed.
Change the background of the room, then realised the original was the only copy because you changed it, deleted it, and forgot to export it? You're done.

This results in me keeping copious amounts of backups - could we have this with the undo list applying to the room editor, and not just the text script editor? And any other no-turning-back parts of the Editor?

Please remember: I'm fully willing to pay. One other thing that we could use a change with, that would lessen development time by a factor of 50.

cat

Quote from: bx83 on Wed 31/01/2018 11:57:33
This results in me keeping copious amounts of backups - could we have this with the undo list applying to the room editor, and not just the text script editor? And any other no-turning-back parts of the Editor?
I agree that undo would come in handy, but until then, please use a proper source control (e.g. Git). That way you don't need so many backups because you can undo stuff yourself.

bx83

I don't use Git, I have windows, don't want to learn something after the whole of AGS just to keep a backup. This game is my life, made backup a while ago.
But anyway, yes I'll look into Git :P
BTW is it built in as the Source Control in General Settings (?) or do you just use it where you've saved the game?

bx83

Are the changes put in the main tree for a release? 3.4.1r1?
Do you know where/how to change the source control to Git, or is it manual?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: bx83 on Sun 11/02/2018 21:46:04
Are the changes put in the main tree for a release? 3.4.1r1?
No, I just made a pull request, which I need to test a little first before the merging.

Quote from: bx83 on Sun 11/02/2018 21:46:04
Do you know where/how to change the source control to Git, or is it manual?
Is this question related to first, or about having your game in source control? If latter, Git is not integrated in the AGS, you need to use it manually as an external tool.

bx83

Any tutorials or articles on how to git working in Windows 10, for the game?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: bx83 on Mon 12/02/2018 01:01:17
Any tutorials or articles on how to git working in Windows 10, for the game?

Git itself is run from the command line, which may be a bit extreme if you do not have much experience with command-line tools.
There is a good GUI "wrapper" for the Windows, called Git Extensions: http://git-extensions-documentation.readthedocs.io/en/latest/git_extensions.html
But even before using it, it is important to understand how Git works, and how the whole source control thing works, first. You may read about Git system here: https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2

bx83

Any news on which release this will finally be in? Is it set for 3.4.1-patch 4 or something?

Crimson Wizard

bx83

But when will it not be a WIP edition and actually part of the 'Stable' release?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: bx83 on Sun 18/03/2018 12:12:29
But when will it not be a WIP edition and actually part of the 'Stable' release?

It is not "wip edition", as in separate thing, it is an actual future release.
Usually we leave release for people to test a bit, then fix problems. When there are no big problems, it is called "stable release".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk