Fortnightly Writing Competition: MacGuffin (WINNERS)

Started by Blondbraid, Sun 04/03/2018 20:32:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Creamy

Best Writing : Sinitrena*
Best story : Baron**
Best MacGuffin : Sinitrena. ***

* I had a hard time choosing. Each style is different and works.

No quarter given is quite down to earth, with a touch of surrealism brought by the conversation between the 2 coins.

50 shades of Guffin feels lyrical. I had to look for a couple of words in a dictionary :-D

The Feather is Mightier intersperses two approaches - realistic and fantastic - and balances them to great effect.

-------

** All 3 submissions were good reads but I found Baron's tale especially entertaining. The fateful meeting gave me Tarantinian tingles.

-------

***I agree with Sinitrena about Mandle's coin not influencing the story. On the other end of the spectrum, Baron's trinket â€" although deliciously evil - could nearly be considered a character. Sinitrena's feather fits the description best IMO.

QuoteYour choice of words and minimalist style combine effectively to make a very compelling read.
Thanks.

QuoteHaving said that, I thought Lucas' motivation at the end was exceedingly immature.
[...] No one can be that sheltered or petty, it's just unbelievable.

QuoteI'm not so sure about the actions as adults. That seems like a very late reaction to basically a childhood prank.

The way I see it, Lucas and Greg are good friends at this point.
Lucas allows himself to unearth this old story because he knows that they will both laugh about it.

Baron

Can I replace my one vote for Mandle with one for Creamy, so that we can have a three-way tie? ;-D

Sinitrena

You could also change one from Mandle to me (laugh) Muahahahahaha.

But it's probably best to leave the three-way-ties for the AGS Awards.

Mandle

I'm going to try to vote today before heading to Australia. Sorry if time runs out: Blame my MacGuffin plane ticket!

Blondbraid

Since we have a tie between Sinitrena and Baron, I'm willing to extend the voting until Mandle or anyone else find the time to vote and break the tie.

Baron

But.... Mandle has clearly fallen into the time-warp that is Australia.  There's no telling what time period he has been transported to!  We may tomorrow unearth votes that have been chiselled into stone for a thousand years, or we may have to wait until our beards are long and white and bionic robo-monkeys coddle us like infants for him to resurface. (roll)  Couldn't we instead just interpolate how he would have voted based on his last post? :=

Sinitrena

Quote from: Baron on Tue 27/03/2018 01:59:20
Couldn't we instead just interpolate how he would have voted based on his last post? :=

Sure, let's try this.

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 25/03/2018 23:36:10
I'm going to try to vote today before heading to Australia. Sorry if time runs out: Blame my MacGuffin plane ticket!

Hm, I vote for Sini! - seems obvious enough. (laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

Blondbraid

Then I ask, if no one else is voting, would you two mind sharing the first place and host the next Fortnightly Writing Competition together?

Frodo

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 27/03/2018 21:37:22
Then I ask, if no one else is voting, would you two mind sharing the first place and host the next Fortnightly Writing Competition together?

How about YOUR votes, Blondbraid?  That would (hopefully) break the tie.  :cool:

JudasFm

Not sure if this will break it as I have no idea how many votes we have, but me and the Squid are here to save the day! Or possibly make everyone howl in anguish. I'm not sure...

Best Writing Sinitrena. The end part gave me chills :)
Best Story Mandle
Best McGuffin Sinitrena

Blondbraid

Looks like we have a winner!
Congratulations Sinitrena, you are in the first place and awarded with the one ring of gold!

Second place goes to Baron, who gets the one silver ring.

And third to Creamy, who gets the bronze ring.

And for participation trophy I have a ring of pure green.

Happy Easter everyone! ;-D

Baron

Can I trade my silver ring for one of pure green and a silly drunken song about a goblin? :=

Congratulations Sinitrena!  It's for the best, really.  The last time we co-administered things got a bit silly.... ;)

Congratulations also to Creamy and Mandle.  I really enjoyed your stories and speculating about your spatial and temporal whereabouts. ;-D

Blondbraid

Quote from: Baron on Thu 29/03/2018 21:07:45
Can I trade my silver ring for one of pure green and a silly drunken song about a goblin? :=
That's the beauty of participation trophies, everyone gets one! ;)

Sinitrena

Quote from: Baron on Thu 29/03/2018 21:07:45
It's for the best, really.  The last time we co-administered things got a bit silly.... ;)

Good times, good times. (laugh)

Thanks for your votes and thanks for some good reads. See you next round.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk