Strategy game models

Started by KyriakosCH, Tue 06/02/2018 13:30:32

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

This is Sparta! (nod)

Greek and Persian set, wip.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Danvzare

Looks like something that would fit right at home in Age of Empires.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 07/02/2018 10:02:17
Looks like something that would fit right at home in Age of Empires.

I'd prefer AGS of empires :=

KyriakosCH

Barbarian sets always look stupid :/
They clearly didn't bother with architecture, so what can be done :)

selmiak

this looks interesting. Have you ever thought about using these as tiles and build a city in, say, in a stratagy game in AGS? ;-D

KyriakosCH

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 11/02/2018 01:59:28
this looks interesting. Have you ever thought about using these as tiles and build a city in, say, in a stratagy game in AGS? ;-D

Yes. But the scope of such a game would be way too big for me to spend time doing literally everything for it!!!

Instead i am trying to be part of a team working on a CivIII clone :)

Anyway, here is how the city looks in actual CivIII (will be similar in a clone; not sure if it will be scripted in AGS; Godot is also an option the lead coder is examining atm)

selmiak

but there is freeciv out there. But you can never have enough civ I guess :D

KyriakosCH

Afaik Freeciv (at least the non 3d one) does not use animated units? :)

CivII was awesome, though. It was the game i played the most, and actually bought the most times (back in the uni years, only way i could stop was to destroy the actual cd. A cd action commonly known as ocd := )

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sun 11/02/2018 13:02:48
Afaik Freeciv (at least the non 3d one) does not use animated units? :)

CivII was awesome, though.

CivII is still the best IMO. The animated units in CivIII drove me crazy. Once you were in a major war and had like 20-30 units animating one by one every turn it took forever for the turn to be resolved. Also the exact same sound effect playing over and over for each same unit drove me up the wall.

KyriakosCH

Imo the huge advantage CivII has is that it has an event file. Stupid Firaxis (company controlling CivIII) didn't include a feature that was so popular.
Seems to be usual in the civ series after civ2, eg civ3 with no event file, civ4 with (iirc) 1-era leaderheds only, civ5 with a very unpopular '1 unit pet tile' rule, civ6 with... not sure... lost it at civ4 :=

That said, CivII did have a very problematic "if (strongest) defender in a tile loses, ALL units in the tile die".

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 14/02/2018 01:01:51
Imo the huge advantage CivII has is that it has an event file. Stupid Firaxis (company controlling CivIII) didn't include a feature that was so popular.
Seems to be usual in the civ series after civ2, eg civ3 with no event file, civ4 with (iirc) 1-era leaderheds only, civ5 with a very unpopular '1 unit pet tile' rule, civ6 with... not sure... lost it at civ4 :=

Civilization series left me baffled all the time, each new game introduced something good and discarded something good from the previous game.

Civ2 was interesting for me because it was interesting to conquer the world :). It had very random maps, quite unrealistic sometimes, but that was a part of fun. The shape of continent provided new challenge almost every time. It was also exciting to see your cities and roads cover the map as years go. Civ5 seemed to turn to smaller focused countries instead, making it largely different game. Perhaps that was the concept they were looking for all this time, but it somehow did not work for me. Guess I was looking at it as at warfare simulator rather than civilization simulator.

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 14/02/2018 01:01:51
That said, CivII did have a very problematic "if (strongest) defender in a tile loses, ALL units in the tile die".

Eh, it had other problems, like no country borders, which let enemy sneak settlers onto your territory and build a city in the middle of your area of interest. You had to play "catch the settler" game by moving several units out to the frontier and block rival settlers there :).

The trade and espionage were rather annoyingly made IMO. You create a caravan locked with certain good, and then have to move it across the map, which may take many years, and then you arrive to destination, they sometimes don't demand that goods anymore.

PS. Whoops, why I am posting this in the Critic Lounge anyway?

KyriakosCH

:D

Civ1 was even worse regarding 'friendly' units, cause your ally would move some of his phalanx to completely surround your city, and therefore you couldn't move anything out of it anymore and had to declare war - and those wars tended to last for literally 1000 years! (laugh)

KyriakosCH

selmiak

this is looking good. I like the texture on the straw huts :)

KyriakosCH

KyriakosCH

It would be cool if anyone was interested to code (ie be the main coder/heart of such a project) a strategy game. I would be able to provide terrain gfx.
Has there ever been a strategy (with cities and a map) game made with AGS? ??? ;)

selmiak

technocrat made operation forklift for example. I think Matti is coding around on one I forgot the name of, in that style you are talking about, but it is not release, so none that I know of ;)

Crimson Wizard

There should not be any problem making turned based strategy in AGS, people were doing realtime strategy in the past (not sure if that one was released), arcade games etc. TBS should be much easier technically. One thing to keep in mind is that you probably should not be using built-in room objects and script drawing sprites on surface yourself.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 16/02/2018 17:55:19
There should not be any problem making turned based strategy in AGS, people were doing realtime strategy in the past (not sure if that one was released), arcade games etc. TBS should be much easier technically. One thing to keep in mind is that you probably should not be using built-in room objects and script drawing sprites on surface yourself.

First things first, though; how would one go about making the map navigable by clicking as in: entire map is there, but each full screen only shows a part of it. ? :)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 16/02/2018 23:23:27
First things first, though; how would one go about making the map navigable by clicking as in: entire map is there, but each full screen only shows a part of it. ? :)

Hate to be the one, but this is wrong forum section for those questions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk