AGS 3.5.0 - alpha 13 - next WIP version

Started by Crimson Wizard, Wed 21/02/2018 13:52:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 23/07/2018 12:22:30
I'm 200% there's an issue with GameDoOnceOnly,(I'm using 1327 or so unique tokens, maybe that is an issue), anyhow, I replaced 2 of them, and then 2 others started malfunctioning, so I've made a custom function that does exactly what GameDoOnceOnly does, I'll let you know if that faulters, if it does it's something else.

Is there really no way for you to send me a game? Then I could run it under debugger. If there is some bug in AGS, it could be caused by multiple reasons combined.
If you are worried about your game security, I will just delete it from my pc afterwards (I also don't have spare time to play adventure games now :)).

Otherwise I'd have to have exact steps to reproduce this problems, which are not known at this time, it seems.
Right, I have promised to investigate the engine code, I will try doing that today.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 23/07/2018 12:26:24
Right, I have promised to investigate the engine code, I will try doing that today.

Hmm, alright, I looked there, and don't see anything curious right away.

Couple of notes:
1) The length of the string is limited to 199.
2) Strings are case-sensitive ("DoOnlyOnce" is not equal to "doonlyonce").

It has no connection to translation, or anything else.

PS. By the way, even the manual gives an example with the space in the string:
if (Game.DoOnceOnly("open cupboard")) {
  GiveScore(5);
}

Dualnames

it's gonna take me a long time to upload, but I will if this reappears, for now I've replaced the function with a custom one.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Dualnames

I've made a custom function to replace Game.DoOnceOnly and all the related bugs disappeared!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Wed 25/07/2018 06:01:24
I've made a custom function to replace Game.DoOnceOnly and all the related bugs disappeared!

I don't know if you expect me to reply something... Like I said, I cannot do anything without a test case that would let me reproduce this error.

E: May this be a result of restoring a saved game? Did this begin only after upgrading to 3.4.2?

Dualnames

Sorry, if I'm frustrating you, don't intend to do that. The game files are over 4gb, and my upload speed is at 40kbps. This only begun after upgrading to 3.4.2 yes, not the result of a saved game, what seemed to be the case, is that the game seemed to pick 2 instances (the first two of Game.DoOnceOnly) and those didn't work. I can send you the script files, but not the sprite files, if you want.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Wed 25/07/2018 12:35:02This only begun after upgrading to 3.4.2 yes, not the result of a saved game, what seemed to be the case, is that the game seemed to pick 2 instances (the first two of Game.DoOnceOnly) and those didn't work. I can send you the script files, but not the sprite files, if you want.

Hmm, yes please, there is a chance the erroneous situation could be recreated from these.

E: Maybe silly question, but did you do "Rebuild all files" after upgrading to 3.4.2?

Dualnames

Yes, have done the rebuild all files

Crimson Wizard

New update

AGS 3.4.2 - Alpha 3

Zip archive: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5ijbdfd6ydcikpu/AGS-3.4.2-alpha3.zip/file

Common features
- Removed font limit.

Editor
- Fixed navigation bar settings in the Room Editor get reset when objects are added/removed/renamed.
- Fixed characters do not get updated in the Room Editor when their StartingRoom property is changed.
- Improved how Room zoom slider works, now supports downscale.
- Build autocomplete table a little faster.
- Fixed rooms not being rebuilt when running game just created from a template.

Engine
- Fixed setting ListBox.Font did not work (regression).
- Prevent game from crashing if there was an attempt to draw text with a non-existing font.

KNOWN ISSUES: Room Editor's navigation bar settings still get reset when you close the room.

Cassiebsg

* Cassiebsg clicks download link and then runs and gives a big hug to CW!

Thanks for all the hard work. :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 31/07/2018 18:07:10
* Cassiebsg clicks download link and then runs and gives a big hug to CW!

Yeah, well, better try how that works first :P... I had to change quite a lot of things in code there.

Cassiebsg

Well. if it works or not is a little besides the point you still put up for the hard work. :)

The bad news is that... ermm... seems to be more broken than it was. :-[
I have opened an older project (Stable Pete) opened one of the rooms, turned on characters & objects.
I locked and hid one of the objects. I added a new object and the hidden object popped back up to being visible... :( But when looking at the list where to pick them, it still shows the object as being locked and hidden. ??? Changing the name of the object also makes the hidden object to become visible (but not the icon state it shows on the drop down menu).

Have not tested more.

Cassiebsg

Yes, looks like you did. :-D (nod)
Tested and seems to be working as expected. :-D Now it just needs to remember how we left things last time we edited the room. But currently a lot less annoying than versions 2 was. Thanks bunch! (nod)

Crimson Wizard

Test build that saves/loads room editor config:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxtn3kffuhod7fv/ags-3.4.2-wip5--roomedsaved.zip?dl=0

Now it saves visible/locked data in extra files called "roomXXX.crm.user" (xml format).
These files are safe to delete, and even break, Editor should simply warn about not being able to restore room state, but continue working as usual.

Please test and see if there are any problems with this.

I will be opening pull request for review soon.

Cassiebsg

Will give it a test run tomorrow once I get home from work. (nod)

Thanks again, and hope I don't break it like I usually do. ;) :-[

Neo_One

AGS with PlayOnLinux works quite well, but it has a problem: if you click on Run (F5) the game doesn't start most of the time because Wine gives an error.
To be able to run it, compile it all and execute the setup and press on Save and Run.

Also, sometimes the function selector does not appear.

morganw

Quote from: Neo_One on Mon 13/08/2018 15:12:04
AGS with PlayOnLinux works quite well, but it has a problem: if you click on Run (F5) the game doesn't start most of the time because Wine gives an error.
To be able to run it, compile it all and execute the setup and press on Save and Run.
I've also seen this on WINE, and it seems the file is still being written when the engine tries to open it. I thought it didn't happen on AGS 3.4.2 builds though; which specific version are you seeing this with?

There is also an issue the autocomplete on WINE, which I think is also related to having something in the clipboard. Is this what you mean by function selector?

Neo_One

Quote from: morganw on Mon 13/08/2018 17:49:16
I've also seen this on WINE, and it seems the file is still being written when the engine tries to open it. I thought it didn't happen on AGS 3.4.2 builds though; which specific version are you seeing this with?

There is also an issue the autocomplete on WINE, which I think is also related to having something in the clipboard. Is this what you mean by function selector?
I am with the current stable (3.4.1). I don't know if it's the same with 3.4.2.
In the clipboard I don't have anything open, you could be that PlayOnLinux itself is the cause.

I wish I could make a native version of AGS for Linux to get rid of Windows, all the programs I use are open source and AGS is the only one that is not for Linux :_(

morganw

Quote from: Neo_One on Mon 13/08/2018 21:06:19
I am with the current stable (3.4.1). I don't know if it's the same with 3.4.2.
In the clipboard I don't have anything open, you could be that PlayOnLinux itself is the cause.
It would be interesting to see if you had the same issue running the game with 3.4.2. I've found that the Editor's autocomplete would crash on Gnome 3, but I've never been sure that I've got WINE setup correctly.

Quote from: Neo_One on Mon 13/08/2018 21:06:19
I wish I could make a native version of AGS for Linux to get rid of Windows, all the programs I use are open source and AGS is the only one that is not for Linux :_(
Yes, me too. The editor itself will actually run, but the majority of the functionality to edit a game are currently in a library that is not cross-platform.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk