AGS 3.5.0 - alpha 13 - next WIP version

Started by Crimson Wizard, Wed 21/02/2018 13:52:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Vikram Vicky

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to AGS and I'm having an error while trying to use two or more backgrounds in the same room (AGS 3.5.0 alpha5).

1) Create a new game
2) Import two or more background in the same room
3) press f5
https://ibb.co/dapQde

4) background can be removed after the error but if the editor is restarted then....
5) press f5
https://ibb.co/dapQde
6) edit room
https://ibb.co/kX2Lde
7) press close
https://ibb.co/kd7gjK

Crimson Wizard

Hello, Vikram Vicky. I can actually see same error, this means that multiple backgrounds are broken in 3.5.0 WIP version.

Since you are only starting making new game I recommend using latest stable version instead for now, which is AGS 3.4.1:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56452.0

Vikram Vicky

Thank you, Crimson Wizard.
Is there any way to convert text editor of AGS 3.4.1 dark because I can convert AGS 3.4.1 to dark except the text editor...
https://ibb.co/gk3qTe ( AGS 3.4.1 dark using windows color scheme)

The only solution I can think of is using AGS 3.5.0 for coding only and copying that code in AGS 3.4.1.
What do you think? Is there a better way because I need code completion etc etc etc...

Crimson Wizard

Alright, I'll try to release the fixed version today.

Crimson Wizard

This is a (supposedly) fixed editor, you only need to copy files over the 3.5.0:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/08meilogunyyasn/AGS-3.5.0-alpha5--fix.zip?dl=0

There will be proper release post later, in few days perhaps.

Vikram Vicky

Thanks a lot, Crimson Wizard.
It's really the greatest welcome someone can get, multiple backgrounds are running smooth.
I was downloading your game when I saw your message.
Thanks again.

proximity

90k imported sprites and more than 2 GB files? Wow! That was my dream and I knew it that one day my dream would become reality. If I make a new game, I will definitely import more than 30k sprites. Thanks a lot, Crimson.
Proximity Entertainment

cdavenport

Is there an installer for 3.5.0 and is it stable enough to begin using for development, I'm approaching the limits of 3.4.1 2GB cap and I've been looking forward to moving over to this to continue development?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cdavenport on Thu 18/10/2018 16:59:21
Is there an installer for 3.5.0 and is it stable enough to begin using for development, I'm approaching the limits of 3.4.1 2GB cap and I've been looking forward to moving over to this to continue development?

I haven't made an installer yet, there's only zip archive (linked in the first post), which contents should be enough to run the editor and build Windows version of the game. I may add Linux component and/or Android APK for download if there's demand.

Frankly I do not know how stable it is. I do not make any games with it myself, and have spare time to only test newest added functions, so at most times rely on people's feedback to know if there are any problems. Earlier there were some serious bugs when the room editor got updated, which I fixed, but I haven't heard anything specific from users in the last couple of months.

Most important thing is that this version is still in active development. IDK about other contributors, but I personally have at least two big features planned before final release. Because of that each new update will have a chance to break something. I am ready to fix errors as soon as they are noticed, but since some changes may potentially break game project (making it unusable) my STRONGEST ADVISE is to make a full backup of your game whenever you install a new update of this WIP version.

Crimson Wizard

AGS 3.5.0 - Alpha 6

This is a big update to GUI properties, both in the editor and script.

WARNING: makes changes to the game source format, please make a backup of your important game project before using this update!

Zip archive: http://www.mediafire.com/file/31534tckncjped5/AGS-3.5.0-alpha6.zip/file

Has all content from AGS 3.4.1.15 (Patch 4).

Common features
- Removed length limit on the Button and TextBox text.

Editor
- Split GUI's Visibility property into PopupStyle and Visible properties.
   NOTE: so instead of selecting "Normal GUI, initially on" and "initally off" you now choose "Normal GUI" then set Visible to whatever you need.
- Added Clickable, Enabled and Visible properties to GUI Controls.
- Fixed writing room with multiple backgrounds (regression).

Script API
- Replaced Alignment enum with a new one which has eight values from TopLeft to BottomRight.
- Renamed old Alignment enum to HorizontalAlignment, intended for parameters that are only allowed to be Left, Center or Right.
   NOTE: Alignment and HorizontalAlignment values are fully compatible, in the sense that you may use either. HorizontalAlignment is made mostly in sake of convenient autocomplete and backwards compatibility.
- Added new script class TextWindowGUI, which extends GUI class and is meant to access text-window specific properties: TextColor and TextPadding.
   NOTE: you get TextWindowGUI* pointer using GUI.AsTextWindow property (this works similar to GUIControl.AsButton etc).
- Added new properties to GUI class: AsTextWindow (readonly), BackgroundColor, BorderColor, PopupStyle (readonly), PopupYPos.
- Added Button.TextAlignment and Label.TextAlignment.
- Added missing properties for ListBox: SelectedBackColor, SelectedTextColor, TextAlignment, TextColor.
- Replaced ListBox.HideBorder and HideArrows with ShowBorder and ShowArrows.
- Added TextBox.ShowBorder.

Engine:
- Removed restriction preventing GUIs to be larger than the game's screen.
- Replaced number of fatal errors reported for incorrectly called script functions with a warning to the warnings.log instead. This is done either when arguments may be fixed automatically, or script command simply cannot be executed under current circumstances.

Linux:
- Fixes Linux game launch script (fixes issues with itch.io client).

KNOWN ISSUES: Editor crashes on exit. This may be same bug eri0o reported a short while ago. The crash takes place only after game is saved and window closing and seem to not make it loose any changes.
Unfortunately, I forgot to investigate this issue, will try to do soon.

morganw

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 19/10/2018 21:34:06
IDK about other contributors, but I personally have at least two big features planned before final release

Personally, I only want to look at improving tiled sprite import (just the interface, as someone opened a ticket for it).
If you wanted to make a to-do list for release, it would be useful, to check for any overlap.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: morganw on Sun 21/10/2018 15:29:47
If you wanted to make a to-do list for release, it would be useful, to check for any overlap.

Right, we may use the "Milestone" tag in github issues, I've just created the "3.5.0" milestone that may be assigned to tickets.

cdavenport

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 19/10/2018 21:34:06
Quote from: cdavenport on Thu 18/10/2018 16:59:21

Most important thing is that this version is still in active development. IDK about other contributors, but I personally have at least two big features planned before final release. Because of that each new update will have a chance to break something. I am ready to fix errors as soon as they are noticed, but since some changes may potentially break game project (making it unusable) my STRONGEST ADVISE is to make a full backup of your game whenever you install a new update of this WIP version.

Thanks Crimson Wizard I can't think of any bigger feature for AGS to improve on besides allowing users to make bigger games but excited to see how it evolves and begin using it. :)

morganw

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 21/10/2018 16:07:29
Right, we may use the "Milestone" tag in github issues, I've just created the "3.5.0" milestone that may be assigned to tickets.
Okay, I've added mine. If anyone wants to see the list, it is here.

Jack

Hello AGS dev team.

First I want to say that you guys have been doing great work, and while I never took the time to really say it, I am very appreciative of the work you have been doing, especially the ones who kept the project going for years when no one was paying attention.

I have a question about this version, which represents the future of AGS. The editor now cannot be run without the latest .NET patch, and we have lost support for an entire OS to have this privilege. Unless these parts are rewritten for future ports, it means these ports would have to be compatible with .NET, having to use something like mono. Is this new direction in the roadmap for the future of AGS? As you know there is monoAGS (AGS.NET) which is completely reliant on Microsoft frameworks. Is this the future of AGS too?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Jack on Mon 22/10/2018 12:36:50The editor now cannot be run without the latest .NET patch, and we have lost support for an entire OS to have this privilege. Unless these parts are rewritten for future ports, it means these ports would have to be compatible with .NET, having to use something like mono. Is this new direction in the roadmap for the future of AGS?

Are you speaking of editor ports (do they exist or are planned?). (Engine nor engine ports never required .NET, and still do not.)
I don't think there is anything new in this direction, developers were continiously talking about porting Editor to Mono years before, so I guess this is where we were aiming at, although the progress was slow.
But neither game source format nor compiled game data have links to .NET, so in theory it's possible to write a program without .NET that would work with exactly same game sources and compile exactly same games.

Quote from: Jack on Mon 22/10/2018 12:36:50
As you know there is monoAGS (AGS.NET) which is completely reliant on Microsoft frameworks. Is this the future of AGS too?

Hmm, I do not know how to answer this question, not sure what do you imply with it. MonoAGS is completely different program with no relevance to original AGS except for some gameplay concepts. I guess it will develop on its own in the way tzachs wants. Whether it will succeed old AGS and fully replace it depends mostly on what this community will want.

Monsieur OUXX

Could someone direct me to discussions regarding the new pathfinder? Who has tried it? Has anyone witnessed enhancements? If so, in which specific cases? I know I have small pathfinding issues in some specific rooms of my game and I'm curious if I might fall in the scenarios where there is improvement, or what I should change in my end to fix the issues.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 22/10/2018 13:59:40
Could someone direct me to discussions regarding the new pathfinder? Who has tried it? Has anyone witnessed enhancements? If so, in which specific cases? I know I have small pathfinding issues in some specific rooms of my game and I'm curious if I might fall in the scenarios where there is improvement, or what I should change in my end to fix the issues.

Here's a discussion, which includes test results: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/pull/438, and specifically here I did several tests with unusual walkable areas.

Note that I've found a serious bug recently: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/issues/523

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk