Astral Horizon

Started by Two Tales, Sat 03/03/2018 13:24:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Tales

Astral Horizon is a project I've been working on for a while now. I love any sci fi that is set in space and had to do something to scratch that sci fi itch.
Here are some of the features I've already implemented:
- Sand box style open galaxy to explore.
- Many stations and planets to discover with the ability to dock at stations and land on planets.
- Several ships to fly and/or buy.
- It is entirely up to the player how they want to earn credits to progress. You can scavenge, mine, trade or take on jobs legitimately or illegally.
- Many colourful characters to meet throughout the galaxy.
- A story to follow at your own pace.
- Ship cockpits can be customised/personalised by buying new equipment with the credits you've earned.

There are lots more features that I'm cramming in to this. So much so that the sheer ammount of variables to keep track of is scrambling my brain. But I will get it finished. I'm too far in to it to give up now and I'm loving it which is great because all the scripting never feels like a chore.
Plus constantly thinking of new worlds etc to explore is sooooo much fun.
I'd say I was approximately 45% of the way to completion.

I've also added a ton of references and plays-on-words to the game. For example about 50% of the planets are named after planets from all sorts of sci fi movies, games and books.

Approaching Acheron(LV-426):

Looking for illegitimate work in Mos Moya on the planet Tantooit (<-see what I did there):

I'll post more updates as things progress.

cacaro

This looks amazing. Can't wait to play it.

Darth Mandarb

I feel like abusing my moderator powers and forcing you to post more screenshots (only because I really want to see more of this)!

In all seriousness; this looks/sounds great!

I have long wanted to make an AGS Privateer and this sounds just like it!

Keep up the good work!

CaptainD

Wow. This looks incredible!

AnasAbdin

Hnnnnggggggg uuunnngggggg

Dor Hajaj

Looks amazing!
Good luck!

Two Tales

Thanks for the positive first impressions.

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Sat 03/03/2018 13:55:03
I feel like abusing my moderator powers and forcing you to post more screenshots
Your wish is my command.

After the initial cost of a mining laser for your ship, mining asteroids for ore can be quite lucrative:

Just docked at Unicore minerals orbital base station. Time to sell some of that ore:

CyberUncleCat

Basicaly just Mass Effect AGS.

And i really like Mass Effect:).

Arcangel

For my, sound and looking like Wing Commander: Privateer, and I like a lot that game.

Now I  mark you and follow your progress GOOD LUCK. ;-D

Mandle

Looks amazing! I love open world games where you can just live "your" life!

One thing though: I'm not really hot on the idea of naming stuff in the game as parody/tribute references to other sci-fi properties. The game looks strong enough to stand on its own two feet without such gimmicks. I feel you have a chance here to create your own unique universe the player can get immersed in and that such references would weaken that feeling of being in a real and vibrant world of its own.

Just my two-cents but I, for one, find that kind of thing to get old pretty fast and ends up detracting from my enjoyment of games rather than adding to it.

Best of luck of course! I want to play the shit out of this game either way!

Jack

Amazing +1 :D

I also agree about nostalgia. It's like a millstone.

ThreeOhFour

This is a very promising project!! :cheesy:

Athanor

Wow the screenshots and the description just blow my mind! :shocked: I'm totally looking forward to your game.

MrPr1993

OHOHOH what beautiful graphics! Can't wait to see more of the gameplay and backgrounds!
Born from the 93's

Two Tales

Thanks everyone.

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 06/03/2018 22:50:04One thing though...
I'm glad you brought this to my attention. I was so busy having fun with it I didn't stop to think that it might not appeal to everyone. Maybe I'll tame it down a bit.

Athanor

Quote from: Two Tales on Mon 12/03/2018 14:17:56
Thanks everyone.

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 06/03/2018 22:50:04One thing though...
I'm glad you brought this to my attention. I was so busy having fun with it I didn't stop to think that it might not appeal to everyone. Maybe I'll tame it down a bit.
I would appreciate this too. I'm no big fan of references myself and always prefer a "closed" game-world without too much "pollution" from pop culture. Most definitively I would play this stunning beauty of a game nonetheless, but maybe with a tiny bit less pleasure. ;)

Arcangel

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/wing-commander-privateer-219

A lot images that remember your game. I search for those now, TIME to remember. :cool:

Mandle

Quote from: Two Tales on Mon 12/03/2018 14:17:56
I was so busy having fun with it I didn't stop to think that it might not appeal to everyone.

Yeah, it's easy to get carried away with one's own in-jokes, but this game looks like it deserves to be a rank higher than parody material.

Two Tales

I've had to make the galaxy map smaller than originally planned simply due to over-ambition and the need to actually get this project completed but I believe I have made the systems within this galaxy large and diverse enough to encourage exploration and give different players different experiences.
For example, this is Jendo...

...a small forest planet that is located in a rather open space in a system and following the storyline will not lead you there so some players may not even come across it. For those that do find it they will be able to land and attempt to communicate with the indigenous wildlife which could prove challenging:

Saying the right things can prove beneficial to both sides. Then again, some players may give up and leave empty handed.

AnasAbdin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk