Has any horror adventure game actually scared you?

Started by KyriakosCH, Fri 09/03/2018 23:20:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Why isn't this thread just the words AMNESIA and SOMA over and over again until we're all dead?!

Danvzare

Quote from: Ali on Thu 19/04/2018 16:56:54
Why isn't this thread just the words AMNESIA and SOMA over and over again until we're all dead?!
Because Amnesia was an annoying game that punished you for being in the light and punished you for being in the dark.
Good game though. Even though I didn't like it. :-D

And as for Soma... I actually haven't gotten around to playing that one yet. :-[

Ali

I agree, Amnesia was too much. But it was scary. Soma is a huge improvement, in that it's scary, but the story and voice acting are also excellent.

Monsieur OUXX

Alone in the Dark +1
I'm talking about the first one, as a teenager, and it was mostly because of the music and the sound effects.

KyriakosCH

I did like the atmosphere in the original Gabriel Knight (GK: Sins of the Fathers). Well, up to one point (imo the game becomes less dark once you leave New Orleans).

The excellent OST helped in that respect :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuJVbpPew7E
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

cat

Blondbraid

I remember one scene that actually creeped me out, in 5 Days a Stranger.
Spoiler
The protagonist, Trilby, and a few other people are magically trapped in a haunted house,
and not being able to escape they decide to spend the night sleeping inside.
Trilby then has a dream where he sees a masked killer standing over the corpses of
all the people trapped in the house, and then the killer removes his mask, revealing himself to be Trilby.
When Trilby tells about his dream to one of the others, she tells him that she too had a dream about a masked killer.

Then Trilby says: Let me guess, the killer took off his mask and then it was your face?
but she only answers: No, it was your face.
[close]

That simple dialogue exchange really unnerved me.

KyriakosCH

I haven't paid much attention to the third Trilby game, but the first two were quite intense... :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Matti

Blondbraid

Quote from: Matti on Tue 25/09/2018 20:11:29
Add spoiler tags, Blondbraid!
Sorry!
I figured it wouldn't be a big spoiler considered the scene I mentioned takes place rather early in the game,
but I've since edited my comment.

Anyway, I consider the scene I mentioned a good example of how something isn't scary because of any shock or gore (since the game has fairly simplistic pixel art),
but scary because it was a disturbing concept that made the player think about the implications.

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 25/09/2018 12:47:46
I remember one scene that actually creeped me out, in 5 Days a Stranger.
I really need to play the Trilby games one of these days.
I downloaded them, but I never made the time to play them.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 25/09/2018 23:55:10
scary because it was a disturbing concept that made the player think about the implications.

I recently heard an awesome definition, provided by Stephen King, of the "Three Types Of Fear":

Type One: Scary
Spoiler
You return home to find that the lock on your front door has been broken open and the door hangs ajar.
[close]

Type Two: Terrifying
Spoiler
You return home to find that there is an intruder in your home who is trying to kill you.
[close]

Type Three: Creepy
Spoiler
You return home to find that everything you own has been replaced with almost perfect copies.
[close]

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 26/09/2018 16:02:22
Type Three: Creepy
Spoiler
You return home to find that everything you own has been replaced with almost perfect copies.
[close]
That last one sounds hilarious to me, not creepy. (laugh)

teemue

CAT LADY OMG! I started playing it at 10:00 am and had to stop because I got so emotionally disturbed :D Great thing for an adventure game to achieve.
Director at Nopia animation

TheFrighter

This game has very scary moments, cruel as only a japan tale can be. I't's also a good introduction to eastern philosophy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS8BVqYO3ck

_

LimpingFish

I can't remember if I already posted in this topic, but I'd like to say that no, no game has ever scared me.

But I dare anyone not to be upset by the opening scenes  of Yomawari: Night Alone.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Tabata

Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 01/11/2018 01:45:29
... , did I mention I'm drunk?
Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 01/11/2018 02:05:56
... I'd like to say that no, no game has ever scared me. ...
(laugh)    (laugh)    (laugh)

dactylopus

The short answer is no.

The truth is that I've been startled by games, and I've been made anxious by the mood or tone of games.  I've felt uneasy or slightly creeped out, but never actually scared.  Then again, I don't really get that scared of any media.  It's hard for me to suspend my disbelief in that way.  I always know it's a game or a movie or what have you, and can never truly give in to actual fear.  That's why I've never really been into horror as a genre.

Most recently, Black Mirror on Netflix has made me feel pretty close to scared, but it's the implications, not the media itself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk