Found some bugs in Maniac Mansion Deluxe, always reproducible

Started by hexaae, Sat 10/03/2018 14:28:00

Previous topic - Next topic

hexaae

I've sent some PMs to Lucasfan but got no reply...
Is this great adventure still supported?
Where should I post this? :-[

LimpingFish

Well, if the original developer isn't reachable, there's not a lot you, or anyone else, can do. If it's not a game breaking bug, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is, then posting a workaround (providing you have one) here, is probably the most helpful you can be.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 11/03/2018 01:19:58
Well, if the original developer isn't reachable, there's not a lot you, or anyone else, can do.

There actually is a theoretical way to fix bugs in the game without recompiling it, but it involves unpacking it using the set of utilities, and then editing the script disassembly, which is about as easy as programming in ASM (it looks similar too).

And ofcourse this may break copyright, if there was one.

mkennedy

Is the "Maniac Mansion" template pack still available anywhere? As I recall it had all the sprites and rooms of the deluxe version (though the text was all in German) and I think it had much of the code as well. Somebody might be able to compile a new version with the bugs removed.

Mandle

I've played the game a few times without hitting any bugs so I'd say they are probably very minor issues.

hexaae

Yes, they are just minor bugs that won't stop gameplay, yet annoying for such a great enhanced remake! ;)

One of the bugs I've noticed is that starting a new adventure, skipping intro, there is no ambient/music sound outside the mansion, at least until someone enters the mansion. From that moment on ambient sound and music will play fine also outside. There is NO bug letting intro fully play.

Another bug is when trying to use some objects with each other: original game ALWAYS gives a typical answer "I can't do that/It won't work/etc." but MMC sometimes gives no output at all. E.g. try to enter the kitchen and use anything in the microwave oven.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk