Asking for an advice on finding a gamedev job

Started by Crimson Wizard, Wed 04/04/2018 22:57:35

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 09/04/2018 19:21:01
Quote from: selmiak on Mon 09/04/2018 12:37:42
and then please port and pour all gained knowledge into AGS :P

Um... no.

Besides, there is already something coming up (spoilers).
Spoiler
cool
Spoiler
the camera and layers and jumping between layers is cool. And that multiviewport is trippy, hah!
After reading up on monoags here i wonder...
QuoteCoding your game:

The official language for coding your game is C#. There are a lot of resources online for learning c# if needed.
Any chance the team/tzach tries to rescript, reimagine, emulate AGS Script, so transition to monoAGS is easy?
[close]

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 09/04/2018 12:37:42
would you code AGS modules for money CW?

What could be in an AGS module that would costs money?
Anyway, that does not sound like a stable fulltime job...
I'd pay for the tweenmodule and the like just because it's very useful! But you are right, other engines have a more monetized ecosystem than ags, so this is indeed no stable fulltime job.

tzachs

Spoiler

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 10/04/2018 00:17:18
Any chance the team/tzach tries to rescript, reimagine, emulate AGS Script, so transition to monoAGS is easy?

Well, AGS script is based on c++, and c# is c++ re-imagined, so applying this full-proof logic will tell you that c# IS AGS script re-imagined. 8-)
Anyway, I'm not going to work on an AGS script emulator myself (I feel the work-to-benefit ratio is too small here), but anyone else is welcome to do it.
For ease of transitioning between the languages I wrote a document that explains the differences between the languages and the APIs: https://tzachshabtay.github.io/MonoAGS/articles/ags-cheat-sheet.html

Also, I plan to create an interaction editor that will hopefully allow you to write most of your game without having to code at all: my hope is that this will make the transitioning relatively simple.
[close]

Hobo

First of all a few links that haven't been posted yet:
www.reddit.com/r/gameDevClassifieds/new/
www.teamups.net/find-team
www.gamejolt.com/f/jobs
www.upwork.com/

www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/6tu52u/is_there_freelance_work_as_a_game_programmer

And you may also want to browse different game engine forums like Unity, Unreal, Game Maker, Scirra etc. Some indie devs also search for people via their social media accounts, search engines can sometimes help you to find those. Best and safest way to get hired is still probably through connections and friends, so if there are any local game dev gatherings or events in your area then they might be worth checking out.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 06/04/2018 01:56:26
... "below my pay grade"...
Making assumptions like this is probably the worst thing one can do. You should have responded with specific numbers. As you said yourself, salaries in various countries are not comparable and the cost of living can even be vastly different between regions and individuals. For example, the minimum hourly wage in New York City is $13, which is considerably more than the average wage in most Eastern Europe countries. There are no worldwide fixed rates for freelancers and depending on their location, people tend to severely overestimate or underestimate these rates.

I know a few freelance webdevs in Estonia and their hourly rates are around 40-60 euros, some ask even more. Taking into account that they are self-employed, then after employer taxes it leaves them a gross of 30-45 euros per hour. The final net salary depends on sum they pay out. To me, personally, it seems a bit high, but since there's a lack of qualified professionals in their field, it's perfectly understandable and justified. For comparison, I was driving a forklift and lifting boxes in the fall and my gross hourly wage was â,¬4.75.

So, how much should you ask? That is entirely up to you, because only you know how much your time is worth to you and what are your monetary goals. It depends on how much you need to live a comfortable life and how much work are you expecting to get (or want to do). I'd probably ask less from indie devs and go all out in case of big companies or corporations. Also, if it's a steady long-term job, I'd probaly give a discount, since there a degree of security.

However, before figuring out the rates and starting the job hunt, you should give some though about the legal side of things. How are you handling taxes, which payment methods, what sort of contracts etc.

Would it be worth creating a whole thread about freelancing and job searching/hiring in the recruitment section? Talking about work and money is still considered a taboo in many places and it's often hard to find any useful information about the subject. A collection of links, shared experinces and advice could be useful for AGSers who want to earn a bit on the side or turn their hobbies into professional careers. I do have more to say, but it's mostly about pixel art and translating and not really relevant in this thread.

cat

Quote from: Hobo on Tue 10/04/2018 17:56:40
Would it be worth creating a whole thread about freelancing and job searching/hiring in the recruitment section?
Not in the recruitment section (this has a different purpose), but feel free to create such a thread in General Discussion.

eri0o

Hey I would like to link some sites for remote work too (don't know if they are useful, but I have my eyes on them for some time...):

remoteok.io
jobs.github
stackoverflow/jobs
jobspresso.co
weworkremotely.com
indeed.com

How is the market of where you live? Would a local studio near you exist? Are there gamedev groups to be a part of? Also if you want to make games, if your country has any funding for this, you can apply for grants - here in Brazil it's possible to apply for most grants as a company and some very thin grants as a person.

About setting up a Patreon, I see Godot has one and the guy from Phaser has one too. For a open source tool comparison, individual devs, Øyvind KolÃ¥s and ZeMarmot from GIMP have accounts there too - but GIMP itself has other means to sustain itself. A successful open source dev in this model is the guy from VUE.js, maybe too far from gamedev - notice he never posts anything in the site. Some people I know from here apply to Patreon and our local equivalents of it. ko-fi and Paypal donation buttons usually are prominently shown in open source dev pages, at least in JavaScript land.  Here is a post from Eran Hammer on payment and open source.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk