GAH! I need help with EVERYTHING!

Started by tori_bell, Mon 21/04/2003 04:18:18

Previous topic - Next topic

tori_bell

Hey!  I just recently started getting into adventure games... recently=past few weeks... I LOVE them and they're TOTALLY addicting.... however, I feel like I may be adventure-game-challenged... I've been playing a few games like, King's Quest, Mom's Quest, Aaron's Epic Journey... but the problem is I can't get ANYWHERE without a walkthrough (therefor I've gotten NOWHERE in M'sQ and AEJ)!  Does anyone have any general hints?  Like is there some big thing that I'm missing or am I just slightly mentally challenged when it comes to adventure games?  OH! and btw... how do you save in JAPNCA??  I've read a lot of posts and stuff on these message boards and I've gotten a few hints and such... but I feel like there is still some big thing that I'm missing because I can't get ANYWHERE!  Like, in Aaron's Epic Journey... all I can do is get the ladder and the gold... that's it!  If you think I'm just mentally challenged.... feel free to point and laugh and the computer-illiterate.

THANKS A LOT GUYS!
tori ;D ??? ??? :-[

Quickstrike

Go here:

http://www.agagames.com/agswalkthroughs/

Then click "List All"
"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

Larien

In general:  Explore everywhere.  Look at everything.  Click everything that's clickable.  That's about all you can do until you figure out the role you're trying to portray in the game.  Good luck in your next few games.
"A writer without inspiration is but a fool with a pen." --Sitara Stanton
http://www.myspace.com/zalea1864
"Someday--when things are slow again--we'll burn this city down." --J.M., who was quoting from...well, somewhere unbeknownst to me

Pumaman

You do have to sort of get into the mindset of an adventure gamer, in order to think of the solutions to some puzzles. Like, if there's a screenfull of mushrooms and one looks slightly different from the rest, click on it. Or, if there's a particularly big tree stump on one screen, search it.

If you run out of ideas, trying to combine all your inventory items with each other always helps, too ;)

Oh, and the other thing is to remember to try walking off the left, right and bottom edges of the screen. Sometimes there are exits there which you don't necessarily notice, and can be rather annoying when you do find the solution was just to walk off the edge of the screen  ::)

Esseb_

I'm not speaking bad of amateur adventure games, but if you're new to the genre, you should perhaps consider playing a few of the golden commercial games in this genre. E.g Monkey Island, Fate of Atlantis, Broken Sword, Sam & Max etc. There is a lot you haven't experienced yet.

Lucky bastard :D.

Mats Berglinn

Esseb: Watch your language! You know the rules. No swearing.

scotch

That's not a rule!!!1

Anyway, read the walkthrough before playing a game, don't look at posters, when stuck combine inventory,  do everything twice, if something's a different shade to the other things it is important, make sure you really check the exits because it's easy to miss rooms, in Sierra type games where you can die save often and not over the same save all the time, read the dialogues properly - there are usually clues.

remixor

Quote from: scotch on Mon 28/04/2003 08:15:33
Anyway, read the walkthrough before playing a game

Doesn't this perhaps make it a bit TOO easy?  ???
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Squinky

Yeah, that would kind of ruin the game, eh? He must mean read the help file or readme....

Trapezoid

I wonder what that would be like, actually. If you read (or skim at least) through a walkthrough before playing the game, a lot of it probably won't make sense and you'll probably forget most of it as you play the game. I wonder if it would sort of subconsciously guide you through the game...

scotch

Yes that's exxactly it! Subconcius guidance system.  Helps me in games a lot.

SLaMgRInDeR

well, the main thing is, be patient, try evrything, eventually ull see something and realize that ur inventory holds the perfect object to use on something. alot of people make that mistake when they first play adventure games, they think they can just play through without having to seriously think about anything, like in any other game.
(   (   ( <( -_-)> )   )   )

ratracer

Still, I would advise against reading the wt beforehand!!!!!

Although I usually read the wt for the first puzzle, where often I get stuck...

SLaMgRInDeR

yeh, DONT read the walkthrough fiirst, it spoils it and its no fun!
only read the walkthrough if your realy stuck, dont just head straight for it the first second  you come to something u don't know, take about a day or 2 and try and figure it out, if you havent figured it by then, id understand you using the walkthrough.
(   (   ( <( -_-)> )   )   )

PeaceMan

I also agree with not reading the walkthrough as when you do you always seem to get a sense of guilt because you cheated on a puzzle.

My tip is always look around the rooms carefully. You might suddenly spot something you haven't seen before.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk