Adventure/Platformer/Beat'em up with AGS?

Started by Indra Anagram, Fri 31/05/2019 14:24:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

So... don't folks on this forum help if someone gets stuck with code/scripting?

Of course we do.  (nod)
What I meant is that the behavior needs to be coded. Unlike when you do an adventure game and can use the built in behavior... Say this, Walk there, etc. And all the "internal" coding is already handled.

Oh, and MAGS is the Monthly AGS competition, where every month a new theme is set and you have 1 month to make your game.  ;)

EDIT:
The 2 of Jack's games mentioned above:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2343/
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2283/
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Indra Anagram

To Crimson Wizard:

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 01/06/2019 21:29:39
Roughly 1 month, it was made for MAGS competition. But I had an idea of how to code car physics and some other stuff beforehand.

Hey, cookie, it was your 10th project! Now of course you were able to manage it for 1 month. I've just downloaded Last'n'Furious from Dropbox, since mediafire link seems broken. Will try to play it) Thanks for the link!

Btw, do you happen to know any of the sidescroller/platformer/fighting plugins that work with the current AGS version?

To CassiebsgL:

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 01/06/2019 21:41:45
Of course we do.  (nod)
What I meant is that the behavior needs to be coded. Unlike when you do an adventure game and can use the built in behavior... Say this, Walk there, etc. And all the "internal" coding is already handled.

Pheeewww!  ;-D You scared me. Now I feel better.
Yes, I'm aware AGS is for making adventure games in the first place. Was wondering if it's suitable for other things beyond as well.

Oh, and MAGS is the Monthly AGS competition, where every month a new theme is set and you have 1 month to make your game.  ;)

Thanks, baby! Now I know what it stands for. What a great incentive for growth! This way a developer becomes responsible to make it or break it.

EDIT:
The 2 of Jack's games mentioned above:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2343/
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2283/

Wonderful! Is that possible to see a code after you download any of the games?

Did the old man and woman abuse Gingerbread Man?

VampireWombat

Quote from: Indra Anagram on Sat 01/06/2019 20:53:03
1. Possible you say. That answers my question fairly well.
2. Sorry for my horrible ignorance... Since I'm a newcomer here... Who's Jack? Could you please provide links to his fighting games?
3. See, I want the final big game to combine elements of 3 genres. There seem to be some other engines, but they either require lots of space, or lack tutorials available online, or their abandoned community resembles a desert inhabited with arrogant scorpios  :-D

Have you tried to pair up with someone here? Maybe with a person who's proficient in C++? Anyway, let's unite and figure out how to do such genres together. Thanks for replying, buddy!
1. That's good.
2. Jack is Jack. Jack is the username.
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2283/ and https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2343/ are the ones I know of.
3. Ah, okay. Only other engines I've really tried are RPG Maker and GDevelop with a tiny bit of Unity several years ago.

Not really. I've not had enough interest. It was just something I tried for a minigame. Left and right movement is easy. Jumping is even fairly easy. But it's when I tried restricting climbing to ladders that things started not working as well.
And C++ is by no means needed. Was simply a suggestion for a way to learn since a lot of concepts can be used in AGS and there are tutorials available.

Indra Anagram

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sat 01/06/2019 22:02:00
2. Jack is Jack. Jack is the username.
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2283/ and https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2343/ are the ones I know of.

Thanks, patty! CassiebsgL has given these links too.

3. Ah, okay. Only other engines I've really tried are RPG Maker and GDevelop with a tiny bit of Unity several years ago.

I'll check out the engines you named... except Unity, of course. I already read about it -- my computer won't survive it  :-D

Left and right movement is easy. Jumping is even fairly easy. But it's when I tried restricting climbing to ladders that things started not working as well.

Such a relief. Left and right movement and jumping thing. 
Btw, what do you mean by saying you tried restricting climbing to ladders?

And C++ is by no means needed. Was simply a suggestion for a way to learn since a lot of concepts can be used in AGS and there are tutorials available.

Ah, alright. I found a book by Michael Dawson called Beginning C++ Through Game Development.

Heard of thisi one? Do you think it's going to be helpful?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Indra Anagram on Sat 01/06/2019 22:00:37
To Crimson Wizard:

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 01/06/2019 21:29:39
Roughly 1 month, it was made for MAGS competition. But I had an idea of how to code car physics and some other stuff beforehand.

Hey, cookie, it was your 10th project! Now of course you were able to manage it for 1 month.

Hmm, yes and no. The projects mentioned on my profile list are mostly ones where I either did testing or helped with some advice. I really just made 2 or 3 AGS games myself so far. But I worked on other games that used different engines in the past.

Quote from: Indra Anagram on Sat 01/06/2019 22:00:37
Btw, do you happen to know any of the sidescroller/platformer/fighting plugins that work with the current AGS version?

Ah, I feel like I need to make more clarifications.

There's plugins, and there are "script modules". Script modules are scripts written in AGS scripting language for certain purpose, like game mechanic or additional math functions. A person may write a script and pass it to others to reuse in their games.
For something like sidescroller/fighting mechanic you'd rather look for a script module, because this is how people would usually do that.

I've already posted a link to open source platformer before ("Art of Dying").
There was also a module called PLATENG which stands for "platform tiled engine": https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=40922.0

Also, by strange coincidence, I was thinking about trying to make a fighting game in AGS recently :P. (idk if I will)

PS. Regarding C++, don't want to discourage you, but as a C++ programmer myself, in my honest opinion it's really not the best programming language to begin studying programming with :).
It has extra things that are not present in many languages and that makes it harder to use correctly. IMHO script languages like Lua, Javascript or Python could be better to start with something.
But this is my personal view on things.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Indra Anagram on Sat 01/06/2019 22:33:32
Thanks, patty! CassiebsgL has given these links too.

I'll check out the engines you named... except Unity, of course. I already read about it -- my computer won't survive it  :-D

Such a relief. Left and right movement and jumping thing. 
Btw, what do you mean by saying you tried restricting climbing to ladders?

Ah, alright. I found a book by Michael Dawson called Beginning C++ Through Game Development.

Heard of thisi one? Do you think it's going to be helpful?
Patty? But I don't want to be served on a bun. Are you by any chance an NPC from Animal Crossing? The nonsense nicknames remind me of the game...

I don't recommend RPGMaker. It's only really useful for making early to mid 90s style JRPGs. It's great if you don't want to do any programming at all, have no graphics skills, and want turn based battles. If you want anything else, you're better off with other engines. GDevelop is good if you want to make a very simple platformer. Following a tutorial, you can make one within an hour. It probably could be used to make the type of adventure game you described. But not so sure about a beat em up...

Well, AGS is meant for making adventure games first and movement is done by walkable areas. So I had to disable up and down movement except for when on ladders. But the method I used has caused the character to sometimes move erratically once he hits the ladders.

I have no clue. I was speaking more of tutorials than books. Which is why I used the word tutorial.

Edit: I recommend listening to Crimson Wizard more than me.

Slasher

Fire up AGS... Select Serra Style Template, give your game a name and start creating your first game...

Select resolution size and filter (say 3d9) 32 bit.

Make it a short one roomed game and long enough to get the hang of how AGS works.

Create a background and a character (create and import from a paint program) and maybe an object or 2.

Use the built-in help files to assist with the coding. You will find many functions and commands. You will also see examples...

AGS uses its own scripting so you only need to add as the examples suggest.

Use your imagination to make a short scene... usually trying to find the key to a locked door.

Above all... study the help manual for the things you want to do..

When you are happy with the result you can then think about whether you want to use AGS or not for future games.

Along your journey ask us for help you may need.

Suck it and see...Taste and try.....

Author of over 60 games...

VampireWombat

Quote from: Indra Anagram on Sat 01/06/2019 22:33:32
I've realized that you've been vague enough about what you want to do that many of the answers may not be as useful as they could have been.
What kind of platformer are you wanting to make? Just walking and jumping? Or are there going to be attacks and/or powerups?
And what kind of beat em up? Something like Streets of Rage, Double Dragon, River City Ransom? Something more modern? Or something simplistic with just a punch?
Or are you wanting to make a hybrid kind of like the game Dex? https://store.steampowered.com/app/269650/Dex/
If you're wanting something really simplistic, then I could provide you with a base this week.

Indra Anagram

To Crimson Wizard:
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 01/06/2019 23:09:04
I really just made 2 or 3 AGS games myself so far.

Then the fact you only spent 1 month on coding a car racing game (which is beyond what the engine was initially built for) is even more astonishing.

A person may write a script and pass it to others to reuse in their games.

I think this is right. When/if I manage to make a adventure/platformer/fighting game, I'd publish it for everyone to use. Because I believe the more tutorials and open source projects are there, the more people who wish to develop their own games will get in. People benefit from teaching and helping each other.

I've already posted a link to open source platformer before ("Art of Dying").
There was also a module called PLATENG which stands for "platform tiled engine": https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=40922.0

Thank you, dear! I haven't tested PLATENG yet, but the screenshots look very promising. The year is 2010. Will this module work with the current version of AGS?

Also, by strange coincidence, I was thinking about trying to make a fighting game in AGS recently :P. (idk if I will)

What would it be like? Would you share the source, if you made it?

PS. Regarding C++, don't want to discourage you, but as a C++ programmer myself, in my honest opinion it's really not the best programming language to begin studying programming with :).

See, I decided to stick my nose into C++ because people here said AGS was built and extends on it.

To VampireWombat:

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sat 01/06/2019 23:10:29
Patty? But I don't want to be served on a bun. Are you by any chance an NPC from Animal Crossing? The nonsense nicknames remind me of the game...

I meant no offense, sunshine. Why would I try to insult anyone here, especially when you and other forum members are so friendly.

I don't recommend RPGMaker. It's only really useful for making early to mid 90s style JRPGs. It's great if you don't want to do any programming at all, have no graphics skills, and want turn based battles. If you want anything else, you're better off with other engines. GDevelop is good if you want to make a very simple platformer. Following a tutorial, you can make one within an hour. It probably could be used to make the type of adventure game you described. But not so sure about a beat em up...

In that case I don't think these engines will be helpful. Simplicity is not quite what I seek for. I ask others for support and advice, but that doesn't mean I'm up to something primitive. Open source projects, plugins and modules can make things easier, but they won't rid me of the necessity to learn the engine and coding.

Edit: I recommend listening to Crimson Wizard more than me.

I'm just a beginner, so listening to everyone and anyone willing to help is important.

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 02/06/2019 15:03:27
I've realized that you've been vague enough about what you want to do that many of the answers may not be as useful as they could have been.

Not really. I specified the two games that serve as inspiration to me. Have you played The Cat Lady and the very first Prince of Persia? I could be wrong with terminology again, but for me both are side=scrollers. You have keyboard control and see the characters move sideways. Actually there was even a simple shooting scene in The Cat Lady. The hero in Prince of Persia 1989 has to jump over pitfalls, avoid traps and occasionally drink some liguids that restore his energy. He also fights with enemies. In the big game project I'd like level 1 to be adventure game with lots of conversations, puzzles and collecting/using objects, level 2 - a platformer with running through a maze and level 3 - fighting.

What kind of platformer are you wanting to make? Just walking and jumping? Or are there going to be attacks and/or powerups?
And what kind of beat em up?

Let's say shooting in one scene and attacking enemies with punches and kicks like they do in martial arts. Nothing really sophisticated, though.

If you're wanting something really simplistic, then I could provide you with a base this week.

What kind of a base?

To Slasher:

Quote from: Slasher on Sun 02/06/2019 13:53:41
Fire up AGS... Select Serra Style Template, give your game a name and start creating your first game...

Select resolution size and filter (say 3d9) 32 bit.

Make it a short one roomed game and long enough to get the hang of how AGS works.

Create a background and a character (create and import from a paint program) and maybe an object or 2.

Use the built-in help files to assist with the coding. You will find many functions and commands. You will also see examples...

AGS uses its own scripting so you only need to add as the examples suggest.

Use your imagination to make a short scene... usually trying to find the key to a locked door.

Above all... study the help manual for the things you want to do..

When you are happy with the result you can then think about whether you want to use AGS or not for future games.

Along your journey ask us for help you may need.

Suck it and see...Taste and try.....

Looks like a full comprehensive plan, sugar) Thank you for this: "Along your journey ask us for help you may need".

Quote from: Slasher on Sun 02/06/2019 13:53:41
Author of over 60 games...

8-0 Heavens!

VampireWombat

Quote from: Indra Anagram on Sun 02/06/2019 19:21:38

I meant no offense, sunshine. Why would I try to insult anyone here, especially when you and other forum members are so friendly.

In that case I don't think these engines will be helpful. Simplicity is not quite what I seek for. I ask others for support and advice, but that doesn't mean I'm up to something primitive. Open source projects, plugins and modules can make things easier, but they won't rid me of the necessity to learn the engine and coding.

Not really. I specified the two games that serve as inspiration to me. Have you played The Cat Lady and the very first Prince of Persia? I could be wrong with terminology again, but for me both are side=scrollers. You have keyboard control and see the characters move sideways. Actually there was even a simple shooting scene in The Cat Lady. The hero in Prince of Persia 1989 has to jump over pitfalls, avoid traps and occasionally drink some liguids that restore his energy. He also fights with enemies. In the big game project I'd like level 1 to be adventure game with lots of conversations, puzzles and collecting/using objects, level 2 - a platformer with running through a maze and level 3 - fighting.

Let's say shooting in one scene and attacking enemies with punches and kicks like they do in martial arts. Nothing really sophisticated, though.

What kind of a base?
I wasn't suggesting it was an insult... Just weird. Especially patty. I'll assume something was lost in translation.

Yeah. Especially for what I think you're wanting. Plugins and such can help, but you'd still need to fill in the specifics.

No, I haven't played either. I played a little bit of one of the Sands of Time trilogy, but only when my ex made me play parts she thought were too hard. And I've played a tiny bit of some Android version. But no Cat Lady at all.

If you're not wanting any combo moves or such, then it shouldn't be too hard.

A base as in a game project that's a demo of the things you're wanting. You could use it for learning or modify it for your full game or whatever.
So far I've worked a couple of hours using a reconstructed background using screenshots from Prince of Persia. I have basic walking and jumping as well as being able to jump from one ledge to another if you're standing in the right spot. Simple fighting and simple shooting should be fairly easy using collision. It's refinements and enemy AI that's where things start getting more difficult.

Indra Anagram

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 02/06/2019 19:43:39
I'll assume something was lost in translation.

My English is bad.

Plugins and such can help, but you'd still need to fill in the specifics.

Absolutely.

But no Cat Lady at all.

The Cat Lady was coded with AGS by Rem Michalski and James Spanos. https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1628/

A base as in a game project that's a demo of the things you're wanting. You could use it for learning or modify it for your full game or whatever.
So far I've worked a couple of hours using a reconstructed background using screenshots from Prince of Persia. I have basic walking and jumping as well as being able to jump from one ledge to another if you're standing in the right spot. Simple fighting and simple shooting should be fairly easy using collision.

Wait, are you saying you've coded a demo of a character walking in the maze and jumping from one edge to another? Willing to share here on the forum?

It's refinements and enemy AI that's where things start getting more difficult.

Have you tested the script module that Crimson Wizard linked to, PLATENG? Is there enemy AI? Is enemy AI some piece of code that makes bad guy characters attack the hero randomly?

VampireWombat

Quote from: Indra Anagram on Sun 02/06/2019 23:05:14
The Cat Lady was coded with AGS by Rem Michalski and James Spanos. https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1628/

Wait, are you saying you've coded a demo of a character walking in the maze and jumping from one edge to another? Willing to share here on the forum?

Have you tested the script module that Crimson Wizard linked to, PLATENG? Is there enemy AI? Is enemy AI some piece of code that makes bad guy characters attack the hero randomly?

I've heard of The Cat Lady and seen it on GoG before, but had no idea it was an AGS game.

No. There is no maze. And not willing to on the forum. If you really wanted I'd send it to you directly, though. But I think you'd be better off learning the basics of AGS first. And by that time I could probably have things more refined.

Nope. Hadn't heard of it until yesterday.

Indra Anagram

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 03/06/2019 13:16:02
I've heard of The Cat Lady and seen it on GoG before, but had no idea it was an AGS game.

Actually it was TCL that caused me to look toward AGS. Just didn't know if it was possible to do other things beside adventure games. That's why I posted here.

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 03/06/2019 13:16:02
If you really wanted I'd send it to you directly, though. But I think you'd be better off learning the basics of AGS first. And by that time I could probably have things more refined.

Okay. I really need to understand the engine first. Let's keep in touch.

Thank you, gem!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk