Setting up my first game: questions

Started by Nr. 2698, Sun 22/04/2018 20:43:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Nr. 2698

Hello,

im doing my first steps with AGS.
Using 9 verb style.

Wanna make my own shortgame and have some questions.

1. What is the most structured way to set up a game. Wanna avoid to get messy.

2. I wanna make a starting screen.
Wanna have a screen for the "labelname", then one for starting. Wanna add there some text before game.

3. I want to integrate a overview map with a single point moving, like in monkey island.

Hope somebody can help me with my first steps.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Nr. 2698 on Sun 22/04/2018 20:43:26
1. What is the most structured way to set up a game. Wanna avoid to get messy.

Uh... this is the kind of question that requires writing an essay.
Everyone will have their own answer to this, but I don't think any answer will help you much anyway, such things come only with personal experience.

From the top of my head: best organization comes from splitting big things into small.
Split game assets by subfolders (in project tree and sprites window). Split game script into script modules; if you can logically separate a part of gameplay, code it in a separate module.
If you are making uncommon scenes, or minigames, create separate test games to work on them first, then copy them to your main game when they are ready - that will simplify testing, and also give you an idea of how to organize script better.

On general workflow: when creating some scene, try to write it down in plain human language first. Explain what is happening in detail, what kind of objects are there, how they interact with each other. Having clear descriptiong will help to begin coding.

2. I wanna make a starting screen.
Wanna have a screen for the "labelname", then one for starting. Wanna add there some text before game.

Make a room with either text drawn right on background, or GUI with a text label. Each room has a "Show player character" property. Set it to 'false' for this room (and every similar room where you don't want your character to appear on screen).

3. I want to integrate a overview map with a single point moving, like in monkey island.

I think easiest way is to make a room for map, switch your character's view for this particular room to a smallish sprite, and draw thin walkable areas representing roads.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk