Obsidian

Started by RickJ, Mon 27/03/2023 03:00:52

Previous topic - Next topic

RickJ

I've lately come across a quite nice note taking / documentation tool called Obsidian that may be of interest.  It's based on plain text files using Markdown formatting. It features a live preview (WYSIWYG) editor, linking, embedding, etc.  I have been using it to collaborate with colleagues.  We have a vault (i.e. folder tree) on dropbox to which multiple people can simultaneously access and modify. It's not fool proof as content will be lost if people don't take turns editing the same file and allow a few seconds for synchronization.  Images are easily embedded as are external web links.

It could be a good tool for managing and coordinating teams or for documentation.  It takes a little getting used to as the interface is geared more toward keyboard rather than mouse operation.  Think college student, sitting in lecture hall with laptop on lap, taking notes. So there is a little of not knowing how to do this or that at the beginning but is quickly overcome. Plenty of youtube tutorials as well.

obsidian.md

Alan v.Drake

I use Obsidian as well, mostly for writing down tasks, and some documentation stuff I'll inevitably forget when I need it again.
The recent addition of the canvas feature is welcome for flowchart making. One less separate tool I need to use.

I don't agree with their commercial pricing, though.

- Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk