MAGS May “Rats” (RESULTS)

Started by MAGS Host, Mon 30/04/2018 23:03:35

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS May?

Rainbow Skunk Prism and the Vermin-Truder
2 (11.1%)
The Rat Pack Do Cheesy Castle
2 (11.1%)
The Rat Pack
2 (11.1%)
Commando Raid
5 (27.8%)
Rat Playing Game
1 (5.6%)
The Burgomaster
1 (5.6%)
Lab Rat Maze!
0 (0%)
Echo in the Clouds
5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: Mon 25/06/2018 00:11:30

VampireWombat

Well, I didn't get any backgrounds done yesterday. But I did get a quick character base created which will work until I can create something better. But I did set the foundation for switching characters and each character having different interactions. And I researched a few pizza places with arcades, and the setting of the game has completely changed. Instead of being on the Moon, it's going to be in the ceiling of a Chuck E. Cheese type place with a gangster rat as its mascot.
Today's goal is to create a mediocre walk cycle and some mediocre backgrounds and at least start on dialog and some kind of intro.

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Fri 11/05/2018 13:07:28
and some kind of intro.

I would actually advise you to work on the game itself and do the intro/outro last or towards the end unless you already have the entire game story written down and are sure that nothing will change.

Two reasons: As said above, things in the story may change as you make the game and this could change what needs to go in the intro.

The other reason: A game without a slick, animated intro is still playable. If you ran out of time you could just do the intro as a wall of text as a placeholder and redo it properly in the "deluxe" non-MAGS version. A game with a slick intro but no complete gameplay is not playable.

Just some things I've found from experience.

VampireWombat

Thanks, but I still want to do an intro tonight.It's not going to be final or anything. But I feel it's something I need to learn to do in order to do other things. And the video I'll be learning from is only 3 minutes long, so it's not like I'll be spending hours on it...

Cassiebsg

Well, got a BG and a character sprite... now the hard part... coding the game mechanics... (roll) If I can get that one done, then there will be a game however lame puzzles I may add, otherwise it'll just move to the pile of "fail projects" that may or may not work in the future.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Hobo on Thu 10/05/2018 23:40:26
@DBoyWheeler - You should probably take some time at one point and try to create a proper walk cycle base that you could then reuse for future games, it's been a bit wonky in some of your previous games too. Also, that's a great name for a character and I do like the colorfulness.

Yeah, I've NEVER been good at animating, but then, I seldom needed to.  Maybe what I should do in the future is do the sideways animations first to give me a good idea of how to set up the front/back (i.e. facing down and facing up) animations later.

Hobo

Quote from: Pinback on Fri 11/05/2018 04:19:08
I may or may not have inserted myself into a team midway through this MAGS. In May. Hey, that rhymes!
Hmm... I wonder with whom are you working with?

Anyway, here's a recap of my day. Coincidentally had an artist helping me out with backgrouds.

Blondbraid

It's impressive to see how well your character fits with the new background, it all looks great!

Mandle

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Fri 11/05/2018 22:34:16
Maybe what I should do in the future is do the sideways animations first to give me a good idea of how to set up the front/back (i.e. facing down and facing up) animations later.

Or you could just stick with the disclaimers each time about being no good at animating. That's been working for you so far.

Sorry for the tough love, man, but you seem to put quite a bit of care into creating your characters so it seems a shame to me to see them stutter all over the place in the games.

Animating is like pretty much everything else: Nobody is born naturally good or bad at it. The people who are good at it worked on the skill to get that way.

Your characters are cool and you are one little step away from making them even cooler by moving a bit nicer:

"Character walkcycle" is just one quick google away...

Cassiebsg

Slasher

DBoyWheeler: I use a neat trick that covers Up and Down walking which can look OK if you really can't do them (like me) but of course if you can then do them....do them.

I am really pleased that many people are entering this month's MAG (nod)

Keep up the good work boys ;)

VampireWombat

Alas, I didn't get as much done yesterday as hoped. I did get a mediocre sideview walk cycle made and 2 very very rough backgrounds. But I did learn some important building blocks. And I ordered Volume 1 of Chip And Dale Rescue Rangers...
Today I plan to try to make some decent backgrounds and characters. And tonight I plan to watch a movie and/or episode of something to give me ideas for puzzles and such.

DBoyWheeler

Of course, keep in mind I do have a job in RL, so like my previous entry, I might be cutting it close with getting it done in time...

Cassiebsg

Well... Gurok has coded the maze for me... that guy is just too good. :-D
I'm still trying to understand what he did... but I may never do. (roll)

Anyway, I'll try and come up with some decent puzzlings for the rat... so that you not just going from A to B...

Hobo

A short blog post and more mockup art from Pinback:

[imgzoom]https://imgur.com/5yPrb0R.png[/imgzoom]
And it's good to see that other people are getting some stuff done too.

Mandle

More mockup art?

Those aren't the finished screens for the game?

Hobo

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 12/05/2018 23:54:47
More mockup art?
Yup, it's all still work-in-progress stuff or at least that's what Victor's been telling me :)
They're missing some objects and probably need a bit of adjustment here and there.

Mandle

Quote from: Hobo on Sun 13/05/2018 00:30:41
Quote from: Mandle on Sat 12/05/2018 23:54:47
More mockup art?
Yup, it's all still work-in-progress stuff or at least that's what Victor's been telling me :)
They're missing some objects and probably need a bit of adjustment here and there.

Oh thank God. I thought you meant they weren't going to be in the game at all.

VampireWombat

Didn't get as much done yesterday as planned, but did get some variations of a female base body made.
I am currently considering pausing work and making an unrelated game for the GameJam and picking back up on this one next weekend. Currently it feels like the best compromise.

Mandle

GAH!!! I guess I just loved Bad Mojo too much to be able to resist this MAGS...

[IMGZOOM]http://i68.tinypic.com/2ilkor4.png[/IMGZOOM]

I'm in FFS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk