MAGS May “Rats” (RESULTS)

Started by MAGS Host, Mon 30/04/2018 23:03:35

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS May?

Rainbow Skunk Prism and the Vermin-Truder
2 (11.1%)
The Rat Pack Do Cheesy Castle
2 (11.1%)
The Rat Pack
2 (11.1%)
Commando Raid
5 (27.8%)
Rat Playing Game
1 (5.6%)
The Burgomaster
1 (5.6%)
Lab Rat Maze!
0 (0%)
Echo in the Clouds
5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: Mon 25/06/2018 00:11:30

CaptainD

Okay so my game looks viable enough to get finished... it's a turn-based strategy game called "The Rat Pack".  You manage a colony of rats and have to keep them alive as long as possible.  It all works fine but the difficulty needs some tweaking (it feels difficult at first but you can quite easily get past a "hump" in the difficulty and keep going forever) and I need to add a few random events into it.  Maybe descriptions rather than plain numbers for the skills.  Also have nest size as a game element. Then SFX / music and I'll call it done.

Mandle

Bashed my head against what is probably a simple coding error somewhere for about 4 hours today before calling a break for myself.

I'm sure I'll return later and the problem will be obvious. That's usually what happens.

VampireWombat

I'm at the stage of trying to decide how to handle clues. I half figured out how to do a clue board last night. But I'm just not sure if it's best way to go.

I will be starting backgrounds to actually use, since I currently only have placeholder ones...

Creamy

Quoteselmiak, I love what you did with pinback's (already awesome indeed) background. This is an absolutely AMAZING effect.
Yep, it looks better and better. I'm curious to know how you did that Selmiak.

QuoteI'm at the stage of trying to decide how to handle clues. I half figured out how to do a clue board last night. But I'm just not sure if it's best way to go.
Maybe have a NPC help the player in game?

Good luck everybody

VampireWombat

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 23/05/2018 14:46:20
Maybe have a NPC help the player in game?
Not quite sure how I'd make that work since I already have 2 main characters to switch between. When doing some things, they talk to each other first. But thanks for the suggestion.
I'll probably play a bit of some games to help figure it out.

Mandle

I dropped a lot of rat poison around in my game today...

It's not killing the player fast enough though...

Must combine with enemy attacks for a full test!!!

Balance is a bitch!

CaptainD

Balance is EVERYTHING.

Especially when you're stupid enough to attempt making a turn-based strategy game on a single low-res screen and yet make it interesting to play.

(Despite this stupidity and the struggles to balance it, I'm rather pleased with how my effort is turning out so far.)

selmiak

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 23/05/2018 14:46:20
Quoteselmiak, I love what you did with pinback's (already awesome indeed) background. This is an absolutely AMAZING effect.
Yep, it looks better and better. I'm curious to know how you did that Selmiak.

glad you like it Creamy :)
So basically I collected all the pollen outside my window and threw them up in the air, sneezed and this swirled them, then I made the clouds drunk so they turn uncontrallably... 8-)

Cassiebsg

Well, I used all of yesterday trying to get puzzle 3 to work... and failed. :~(
Today at work, after thinking about it, I realized I had complicated my code... so I wrote (on paper) 6 lines of code... got home, replaced the long, complicated and bugged/not working code with my new 6 lines, run the game and "yeah" it worked"... :-D So we're at 3 puzzles now... Tomorrow a new problem will arise, but today I'm happy. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 23/05/2018 17:10:43
Balance is EVERYTHING.

IKR?!

It looks like we are making quite similar types of games: Strategy Sim & RPG.

I even considered adding a sim element to my game early on where you had recently become a mommy rat and you had to care for your newly born young (awwww so pink and slimey) back in your nest which was why you were venturing out to get food, but I've cut that back to just having your "nest" be the shop where you buy upgrades to your skills and can save the game (for a cost of XP... I'm quite proud of that feature and don't think I've seen it done before in a game)

Hobo

It's been some days, so here's a short blog post and more eye candy:

[imgzoom]https://imgur.com/jbk0Hso.gif[/imgzoom]

CaptainD

Hobo your background art is AMAZING :shocked::shocked:

Hobo

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 25/05/2018 08:21:41
Thanks, backgrounds are all Pinback's work and selmiak's adding some awesome environmental animations to them.

CaptainD

Quote from: Hobo on Fri 25/05/2018 11:43:38
Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 25/05/2018 08:21:41
Thanks, backgrounds are all Pinback's work and selmiak's adding some awesome environmental animations to them.

Pinback's background art is AMAZING! :P 

I'm sure selmiak's awesome environmental animations are also fantastic.

The bits you are doing give the artwork meaning though so neither of them are as important as you (don't tell them that, unless they need to be put in their place...) ;)

VampireWombat

Now it's crunch time.
This weekend is when I'll be doing the implementation of everything I've laid the groundwork for.
So, mostly dialog and scripting.
Backgrounds are most likely going to be pretty bare bones and characters will only have side views.
But both Twitch and Massimo will have different guis, and abilities. There will be more than one way to do everything. And there will be multiple endings.

Mandle

Yay! A title screen is now done! Not quite what I'd hoped 100% but... moving on... Gotta get combat working...

VampireWombat

Didn't get as much done yesterday as hoped. For various reasons I flip flopped across 3 or 4 different templates until ending up back to the one I started with. But I did figure out how to easily make a hybrid interface that combines the simplicity of a BASS system with more options for the characters. Originally I was using objects, which was inefficient at best. Now I'm using a variable with if/else if/else.

Yesterday I was hoping to see Mortal Kombat with rodents from Mandle. Today I'm hoping to see a Secret of Monkey Island type combat, but with finishing moves like Mortal Kombat...

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 27/05/2018 13:24:29
Yesterday I was hoping to see Mortal Kombat with rodents from Mandle. Today I'm hoping to see a Secret of Monkey Island type combat, but with finishing moves like Mortal Kombat...

Who knows what you'll be hoping tomorrow... (line borrowed from "J", Men In Black)

Mandle

Getting close to a workable and understandable combat system after writing the tutorial hints for the player (and myself to remember how it works) and then trying to plug the system into the game...

70% done on that chore maybe...

How's everytone else going?

CaptainD

Okay I've finally had a third evening to work on this.  Have tweaked (and re-tweaked!) several equations, added a title screen (kindly made by Katschey) and added a win-game situation - and of course made sure that it is in fact possible to defeat the game!

Still a fair amount of tweaking to do, but honestly not sure how much more time I'll be able to spend on it before the end of the month.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk