Suggestion: Languages on game page

Started by Sinitrena, Tue 01/05/2018 18:27:54

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

imho flags are easier to understand and more international (I'm watching the french open atm and had to look up some of the english language 3-letter short forms of some countries they display). Also they look better. The language code can still be displayed in a hover text with the html title="ENG / DE" tag within the image tag.

AGA

Done.  I ignored all the discussion in this thread, since we never really seemed to reach a conclusion.  All games now have their languages set to English only by default; authors will have to update their games before accurate search results can be returned.

Cassiebsg

Just one thing, I realize that listing every single language is a monumental/impossible task. But would it be possible to add a text box to enter other, non listed languages? (one at the time)

I have a game with turkish translation, but can't add it to the available languages. 
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AGA

For the time being, no.  But I have added Turkish as an option in the meantime.

cat

I activated German for one of my games, but I can't find it using category search.

(btw, "Only Include Games with at Least 2 Cup Panel Ratings" should probably not checked by default, since there are no more new panel ratings since a few years.)

AGA

Bear in mind that the language and OS searches are AND, rather than OR.  So if you checked only German, but there's also an English translation, you won't find it.  I'm not sure if that's the best way, but there will be technical challenges to making it work the other way...

Cassiebsg

Uhm... This defeats the purpose of adding extra languages.  :-\
Meaning that my game now only shows up if you select both English and Turkish. I think ideally it should just look for having at least one of the checked languages.
I can see people using that to find games that are in French, Portuguese, Turkish... etc  Don't think they will be caring about other languages, so I would just select Portuguese if I wanted games that are in Portuguese (or have translation in Portuguese). I'm pretty sure I would careless if it had translations in other languages.

Oh, and BTW, Portuguese is misspelled.  ;)

cat

I agree with Cassiebsg. The current situation means it is almost impossible to find a game with multiple languages from the category search, unless you know exactly which languages are included.

AGA

I'm working on another option, but it's rather more complicated.  Bear with me!

Cassiebsg

Sure, cat takes the front and I'll take the back of the stretcher, and we'll bear you anywhere you like.  (laugh)

AGA

Okay, stage one is done: you can now search from a supposedly full list of all languages.  Search is still broken, but I'll fix that tomorrow.

AGA

Snarky

Nice work, AGA!

Quote from: AGA on Mon 20/01/2020 17:05:11
Bear in mind that the language and OS searches are AND, rather than OR.  So if you checked only German, but there's also an English translation, you won't find it.  I'm not sure if that's the best way, but there will be technical challenges to making it work the other way...

I assume you've also changed it for OS? Same reason: if I'm looking for games with a Mac build, I don't want to exclude results just because they also have a Linux build, for example.

AGA

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 23/01/2020 06:05:17
Nice work, AGA!

Quote from: AGA on Mon 20/01/2020 17:05:11

I assume you've also changed it for OS? Same reason: if I'm looking for games with a Mac build, I don't want to exclude results just because they also have a Linux build, for example.

That's the next step!

cat

Very nice! I'll update my games soon.

When the OS search is also fixed, I will create a thread in Adventure related board to encourage people to update their games.

One more thing: Could you by default include MAGS games in the filter? I think they make up at least half of the newly created games (although they are often also categorized as short or non-adventure game. Ideally, the MAGS category should be replaced by an additional flag - MAGS is not a length after all).

AGA

I've set searching for MAGS to on by default.

MAGS may not be a length, but how many MAGS games are anything except short?  So aren't they all short games, just of a special type?  Demo also isn't a length, after all...

cat

There are quite a few MAGS games that are non-adventure games.

AGA

OS and language searches should both now do an OR search, rather than AND.  I have tagged every game with English and Windows to start off with; even though that may not be strictly true in all cases, it's a good starting point.

AGA

I've now separated the MAGS status in the games pages .  By default searches will include MAGS games, but if you check 'show only MAGS entries' you'll get exactly that: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/search/game_lengths:1,6,0,15;genres:1,2,3,4,5,0;game_types:1,2,3,4,5,0;story_types:1,2,3,4,5,0;commercial:1;mags:1;languages:36;operating_systems:1/1/name/asc/.  I've also reset all the MAGS games' length to 'not defined'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk