AGS Development > Other Engine & Editor Development

Trying out MonoAGS (AGS 5 candidate) : journal

<< < (2/25) > >>

ChamberOfFear:
You probably don't have Xamarin installed. Do you really need to test the mobile platforms? It should be safe to continue and just ignore the projects that didn't load.

tzachs:
Hi! And.. Cool! ;-D

A few notes so far:

Editor:

There is no editor to speak of yet. This is what I am currently working on.
Currently the only "editing" component that exists is the inspector, which is currently opened from the game itself.
From the demo game you can click alt+g to open the game view, then select one of the room objects, and edit the properties of that selected object -> only it's not actually changing any code currently, it just changes it for the current game.
Rough timeline:
In my next big code push (coming hopefully in the next week or two), I'm removing the alt+g to open the game view from the game and moving it to the editor, along with a play/pause button and the ability to select/drag/scale/rotate objects directly in the scene when paused -> though still only in the current running game.
After that the next item for the editor will be to generate the needed code for actually modifying the game code.
And then, I'll add a "create new game" button (currently there's only "load game") with one default template (for now) for generating the startup code.
Following that, working on completing up the initial version of the editor and rewriting the save/load game system before releasing an official 0.1 version: a not comprehensive list of issues for that release can be viewed here: https://github.com/tzachshabtay/MonoAGS/milestone/1

Android & IOS:

Like ChamberOfFear said, you'll need Xamarin installed and the android/ios SDKs.
I've posted links with instructions in the main readme in the repo: https://github.com/tzachshabtay/MonoAGS/blob/master/README.md
I haven't written it down in the docs website, though, I'll add it there soon.
If you currently are just developing for desktop, you can indeed ignore those errors.
Also note that IOS is not currently officially supported, it was only partially working the last time I tested it (no sound and incredibly slow on an ipad2, I haven't tested it on a newer device yet, and the editor takes priority so I'm probably not going to add ios support for a while).

General early adopter warnings:

Problems you'll probably encounter:
- Missing features: Save/load is the most striking gaping hole in the engine now. Other than that I think that most of the widely used AGS features are there in one form or another -> let me know otherwise if you're in need of something specific.
- Usability: Well, obviously, as there's no editor, you'll need to write code for everything, including object creation which might not be the most friendly experience around (check out the demo game, or Crimson Wizard's games for examples on how it's done). Also, the API might be different at times than AGS, use the AGS cheatsheet if you can't find something and let me know of any problem that arises.
- Bugs: Might go without saying, but you will encounter bugs -> open issues on github or write to me/here if you prefer, I'll try to assist in any way I can. Note that you can also open an issue on github just to ask a question or start a discussion.
- Changes: The codebase is still getting A LOT of breaking changes, so it's going to be difficult to keep pace with engine updates (Crimson Wizard's games, for example, will not compile with the newest engine version, as there were breaking changes in the last month -> I'll submit a pull request to fix this when I finish with the current editor work I'm doing).
This is optional, but if you want, you can put your code on github or some other source control provider if you prefer, and I'll try to help and submit pull requests when I have a new engine version to make sure your game still compiles and runs as expected. Creating a public repo also has the benefit of allowing me to easily debug issues that you'll report, and it will help future potential users as another sample.

Other than that, I really really appreciate you taking the effort of trying it out, I hope you'll like it, and don't be afraid to ask the silliest questions you can think of and request the tiniest or most epic features imaginable.

Monsieur OUXX:
Thanks for all the tips, I'll use them when I reach the next step.

For now, I'm trying to be in the head of a complete beginner : "How do I know what to do when some of the solution's projects don't load? Can I do without them or are they vital?". It's good to know that I don't need Xamarin for the Android project. (maybe adding a little note on that topic in the Wiki would be a good idea?)
However, I'm stil having issues: the AGS.Editor project is still there in the solution and doesn't build. Because of that, the other projects complain that AGS.Editor.dll is missing. I'll give more details tonight when I get home.

Crimson Wizard:
I cannot build AGS.Editor either, it sais "The current .NET SDK does not support targeting .NET Standard 2.0.  Either target .NET Standard 1.6 or lower, or use a version of the .NET SDK that supports .NET Standard 2.0."
Probably it requires installing very particular SDK?

The only other project that requires Editor.dll is DemoGame (it did not before iirc).

tzachs:

--- Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on 03 May 2018, 09:24 ---It's good to know that I don't need Xamarin for the Android project. (maybe adding a little note on that topic in the Wiki would be a good idea?)

--- End quote ---
You do need Xamarin for the Android project, you don't need the android project for running on desktop. Yes, I'll add that to the docs too, good idea.

--- Quote from: Crimson Wizard on 03 May 2018, 12:26 ---I cannot build AGS.Editor either, it sais "The current .NET SDK does not support targeting .NET Standard 2.0.  Either target .NET Standard 1.6 or lower, or use a version of the .NET SDK that supports .NET Standard 2.0."
Probably it requires installing very particular SDK?

--- End quote ---
It requires the .net core 2.0 sdk. It should be installed automatically with the latest VS2017 update. If it didn't install for some reason, you can get it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/windows/build
You can verify which version you have installed by running from console: `dotnet --info`.

--- Quote from: Crimson Wizard on 03 May 2018, 12:26 ---The only other project that requires Editor.dll is DemoGame (it did not before iirc).

--- End quote ---
Yes, that's a temporary thing, in the current version I'm working on I removed that dependency.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version