Hand-drawn to pixel scan

Started by ElerosVecchio, Sun 20/05/2018 22:17:00

Previous topic - Next topic

ElerosVecchio

I just hand-drew a guitar hero guitar and scanned it in. I manually traced it (and messed up because I forgot to put it on a new layer; so disregard the imperfections) in Photoshop. I didn't do any detail work, but I was wondering if you thought it would be a viable option for pixel art.

Snarky

Disregarding the imperfections, it is perfect.

Danvzare

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: ElerosVecchio on Sun 20/05/2018 22:17:00
I was wondering if you thought it would be a viable option for pixel art.

I think you don't get very constructive feedback because people are puzzled by what you expect.
That guitar is in low resolution, but not very low resolution. So I think that people have the feeling that all you had to do was to follow the lines of your drawing, and you had an immediate result -- the fact that you used a handful of plain colors with no shading makes this feeling even more vivid.
I myself am wondering -- and I'm really asking in good faith -- why you did not directly draw that handful of straight lines directly with the MS Paint tool.
Or, if I take the process from the other end : If I had gone through the trouble of hand-drawing it, then I would have kept a sufficient resolution to have nice curves on the final result (moving away from pixel art).

Maybe there's something that we don't get here : maybe there's a broader context to your question. Are you planning on using this same process on many graphics, and this guitar is just a test run?
Or are you trying to learn actual pixel art? If so, then I would recommend to lower the final resolution even more -- so that you learn how to fool the eye into seeing curves when there are only big square pixels.

Danvzare

After reading what Monsieur OUXX wrote, I feel compelled to apologise for my previous comment, and give you some actual feedback.

What you've drawn is definitely not a viable option for pixel art. For starters it's much too big. You can certainly have pixel art of that size, but to qualify as pixel art, you need to have a lot more attention to detail. (Most people define pixel art as having each pixel purposefully place, which is certainly not the case here.)
Next, why did you scan in your drawing and trace over it? I could make something like that with nothing but a mouse and MSPaint. And I'm pretty bad at drawing.

My best advice is either to draw an entire background, scan that in, trace over it, and then come back to us with that. Since that should look like a viable option.
Or lower your scanned in drawing of the guitar to about a quarter of the resolution you used here, and then trace over it again, and then come back to us with that.

Good luck! :-D
And sorry if I was too harsh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk