BACKGROUND BLITZ: Nighttime - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Started by lorenzo, Thu 03/05/2018 10:42:07

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo

NIGHTTIME

Spoiler
Albert Bierstadt, Lake Tahoe, Spearing Fish by Torchlight; Sylvester Shchedrin, Moonlit Night in Naples; John Atkinson Grimshaw, Reflections on the Thames; Vincent van Gogh, Starry Night Over the Rhône.
[close]
Your job is to create a background set at nighttime. It can be anything you want: a starry night in the countryside, a futuristic city at night, a dark alley, or something else entirely! Even a rock concert, as long as it takes place at night.

Deadline: 18th 25th of May 2018

Voting:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?

Good luck!

Mouth for war

Great theme! Here's a little something I whipped up :)

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

lorenzo

I like your background, Mouth for war!
It has a lovely atmosphere, it makes you feel like you're under the moonlight. And the light creates some nice contrast.

Mouth for war

Thank you very much! I'm a sucker for doing landscape backgrounds haha :D

Mouth for war

Isn't anyone else gonna join this comp.? Come on people! night time is awesome!!!!! :D

VampireWombat

Since the deadline isn't until next Friday, I plan to to make my background this weekend.

lorenzo

A quick reminder: the deadline is Friday. If anyone is working on his entry and need more time, let me know, and I can add a few days to the competition!

Come on, don't let Mouth for war win by default! ;)

Click'd

I could submit an all-black rectangle, if that helps.

VampireWombat

If you want more than a generic sky with a low detail moon then I probably do need an extension until like Sunday.
Unfortunately, Friday is also the due day for the GameJam and I'm still attempting to finish something for it.

lorenzo

Quote from: Cl... on Tue 15/05/2018 10:45:55
That would be a very minimalist background! (laugh)

Quote from: VampireWombat on Tue 15/05/2018 13:23:47
Unfortunately, Friday is also the due day for the GameJam and I'm still attempting to finish something for it.
Sorry, I didn't know about the Game Jam, I would've chosen another day otherwise.
I'll extend the competition for another week. The new deadline is the 25th of May!

Hobo

Maybe you should lure some MAGS participants to join the blitz. Someone might have already drawn a night scene for their MAGS game or perhaps is planning to.

Quote from: Cl... on Tue 15/05/2018 10:45:55
If you'd add a pair of eyes, it could actually pass as a fairly functional background :)

Kastchey

And here's my entry:

[imgzoom]https://s31.postimg.cc/e0wu90ud7/nighttime.png[/imgzoom]
Nighttime sounded like a good excuse to try out a limited palette :)

lorenzo

I'm always impressed with what people can create with a few pixels and a limited palette. That's a really cool background, Kastchey, very atmospheric! It's detailed enough to make you understand what's going on, but it leaves enough room to the imagination.

Cassiebsg

I just made a sequence for my MAGS game, and thought it could fit well in the theme (or as well as a tangent can be (roll) ).

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Pinback

Amazing entries! Inspired me to do a quick one myself - this is a bit of a photobash experiment, some "dirty tools" too.

Rock into the night!

[imgzoom]https://s9.postimg.cc/d3etdkvlb/BGblitrz_Night1a.png[/imgzoom]

Mouth for war

Ah nice to see more entries here. Great work everyone :D

lorenzo

Cassiebsg: as long as the background is set at night, it's fine. (laugh) Best of luck with your MAGS game!

Pinback: great background, I love the lighting and the sense of scale.

regularryan

A work in progress. Won't have it finished by the deadline but still wanted to submit something ;-D

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/AhXDaBh.png[/imgzoom]

Gurok

Looks really good, regularryan! Nice silhouettes in the distance.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

VampireWombat

Alright, here's my entry.
Not too creative, but it's what I was inspired to make.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk