BACKGROUND BLITZ: Nighttime - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Started by lorenzo, Thu 03/05/2018 10:42:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 20/05/2018 10:19:29
I just made a sequence for my MAGS game, and thought it could fit well in the theme (or as well as a tangent can be (roll) ).

Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 24/05/2018 21:36:55
Alright, here's my entry.
Not too creative, but it's what I was inspired to make.

On my screen, these might almost be the same entry: an almost entirely black square (give or take a bite in the top right corner). To actually see the content I had to do this:

Spoiler

[close]

VampireWombat

Ack. At that brightness mine looks horrible. I can see at the left where the previous version of the background was (the moon looked horrible after I cropped it).
And the sky looks horrible being brighter...

Snarky

There are flaws, but at this brightness it looks like something, rather than just darkness.

Hobo

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 25/05/2018 14:25:01
There are flaws, but at this brightness it looks like something, rather than just darkness.
It really depends on the screen settings, both entires looked fine enough for me, maybe a little bit too dark, but after your edit, Cassiebsg's pic doesn't actually look like a night scene to me anymore.

Creamy

Thanks Snarky. On my phone, I couldn't see anything either.

Cassiebsg

Hey, blame Babar. I asked him if it was too dark and he said no. :P
I'll add some night light then (and no, mine isn't a decided night scene... it's just a room with no light (roll) )

Edit:
Is this better? :) I added a window and a "moon". ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Pinback

@cassiebsg Looking MUCH better! (nod)

lorenzo

Time to vote!

Entries:

1. Mouth for war

2. Kastchey
[imgzoom]https://s31.postimg.cc/e0wu90ud7/nighttime.png[/imgzoom]

3. Cassiebsg

4. Pinback
[imgzoom]https://s9.postimg.cc/d3etdkvlb/BGblitrz_Night1a.png[/imgzoom]

5. regularryan

6. VampireWombat

Voting categories:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?

Voting ends on the 2nd of June 2018.

Cassiebsg

Concept: Kastchey because dark cellars/dungeons are cool? (laugh)
Playability: Mouth for war (there is a lot to play with and investigate in this BG (nod) ).
Artistic Execution: Pinback with runners up Kastchey (very different styles, but they are both very good! I place Pinback 1st for the "wow" effect. :) )
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mouth for war

Concept: Pinback
Playability: Kastchey
Artistic execution: Pinback

Honorable mention: Cassiebsg, I really like your bg. It looks awesome!
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Kinkilla

Concept: Cassiebsg
Playability: Mouth for war
Artistic execution: Kastchey

VampireWombat

Concept: Kastchey
Artistic Execution:  Pinback

TGames

concept: Pinback
playability: Mouth For War
artistic execution: Kastchey

Pling!

concept:Pinback - at first I thought I was looking through smoke rings on a space station, but that's solid rock, right?! Nontheless, stunning place
edit:
Concept: Kastchey - The concept of this place as a background for an adventure game is great - gothic fullmoon castle ruins romance, plenty of possiblitities for characters and interactions; are there vampires lurking, is their a cult meeting, werelords, traps, artifacts -  no matter what, the tension is conveyed perfectly with the limited use of colour and the inspiring design, just a little more work on the blank grey parts and maybe an animation of bats flying past and boom - a background ready for a game
Playability: regularryann - nice and simple, countless ways to interact with a phone
Artistic execution: Pinback - heavy metal; I wonder when you discover the colour blue, though :P

honorable mention: Kastchey - impressive atmosphere, bold stairs and overall great piece of art. That pit immediately gave me prince of persia chills :)

edit: I gave Kastchey my vote for best concept, so no need for an honorable mention anymore ;)

PS: Congrats to Lorenzo for a great Blitz, the theme got me inspired to open a painting program again after 10 years or so, this is what I came up with after far too much experimenting with good old MS Paint: https://imgur.com/a/rJCDfZM

selmiak

Concept: Mouth for war
Playability: Kastchey
Artistic Execution: Pinback

lorenzo

Quote from: Pling! on Sun 27/05/2018 17:37:56
PS: Congrats to Lorenzo for a great Blitz, the theme got me inspired to open a painting program again after 10 years or so, this is what I came up with after far too much experimenting with good old MS Paint: https://imgur.com/a/rJCDfZM
Thanks! That's great, I'm glad you liked the theme! And that's a cool background, I wish I could include it in this competition. :(
Hope to see you in future background blitzes!

Kastchey

Concept: Pinback - Love the outworldly dystopian feel. regularryan as a close second, this background looks just like a lonesome, slightly creepy roadside should.
Playability: Cassiebsg - Very nicely detailed, I can easily imagine playing a rat in this location and interacting with the bars, the straw, the water dispenser, the cage door etc. Would love some additional details hinting what kind of a room the cages are in (a pet shop? a lab? a home rat farm?).
Artistic execution: VampireWombat - If lightened up a little so you could actually see what is in the picture, it is an enchanting and slightly melancholic view. This would work beautifully as a background for an abstract, fairytale-ish game.

And I second what Pling! said, it was a great theme lorenzo and I'm glad it ended with an equally great turnout.

QuoteThat pit immediately gave me prince of persia chills :)
Hey you're right! It never occurred to me, but these pits must still linger somewhere in the long forgotten scars that nightmarish game left on my elementary schooler's psyche :>

dactylopus

Concept:  Cassiebsg
Playability:  Mouth for war

Riaise

Concept: Kastchey

lorenzo

RESULTS

On 1st place we have... Pinback! Your background rocks!

On 2nd place we have... Kastchey's beautiful but scary cellar!

On 3rd place we have... Mouth for war's lovely moonlight background!

Thanks everybody for participating! It has been really great to see all these different interpretations of the theme! :cheesy:

Unfortunately, I have been having some problems with my computer lately and I couldn't make any trophies. Sorry :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk