AGS Development > Other Engine & Editor Development

Porting game to MonoAGS

<< < (2/28) > >>

Crimson Wizard:

--- Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on 14 May 2018, 15:08 ---If you don't feel too confortable with that weird room, I'd say that you may skip the splash screen altogether and just go directly to an actual room. It will take a few seconds to load, but for a small game it's no big deal.

--- End quote ---

Don't remember if I mentioned this before, but IMHO DemoGame is not the best example of resource management, because it loads everything at the start (last time I checked), hence the need for "loading" screen. You may write a trivial resource manager which loads stuff for each room only when game is going there, that would reduce waiting time significantly.

Since we are at that, a small warning: MonoAGS currently does not support audio streaming (playing & loading at the same time), for that reason loading audio clips takes longer than in AGS.

cat:

--- Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on 14 May 2018, 15:08 ---If you don't feel too confortable with that weird room, I'd say that you may skip the splash screen altogether and just go directly to an actual room. It will take a few seconds to load, but for a small game it's no big deal.

--- End quote ---
I'm comfortable enough to use it, I just want to point out issues that may confuse other game developers. Like the missing documentation or the unused graphic in the assets folder.

tzachs:
Added a doc for the splash screen and added the splash background asset to the splash screen in the demo game so it's being used now.

cat:
I pulled the latest version but I get an exception when starting DemoQuest.Desktop at AGS.Engine.FileSystemResourcePack.autoD etectAssetsFolder line 104

System.ArgumentException: 'URI formats are not supported.'

tzachs:
I have a fix for this which I'll hopefully push tonight.
Meanwhile you can work around it by passing the path to your assets folder to the constructor of FileSystemResourcePack which bypasses the auto detection code.

I.e change the line here: https://github.com/tzachshabtay/MonoAGS/blob/f7be8974648591740752d2c3be23ac2ea7990a4a/Source/Demo/DemoQuest/Program.cs#L23

to:

--- Code: C# ---string pathToMyAssetsFolder = "c:\cat\game\Assets";game.Factory.Resources.ResourcePacks.Add(new ResourcePack(new FileSystemResourcePack(AGSGame.Device.FileSystem, AGSGame.Device.Assemblies.EntryAssembly, pathToMyAssetsFolder), 0)); 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version