Where`s m0ds?

Started by [delete}, Mon 14/05/2018 18:15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

[delete}

Where's m0ds?

He has been here like forever. Achieved a lot, like leading Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth (at least the first 15? years). Also directing Ben Jordan movie at Mittens, Kinky Island kickstarter, initiating AdventureX, hosting the AGS radio show, running AGS Bake Sale charity, publishing commercial adventures at Screen7... What a list!
And now he seems to have only guest status, after stepping back as a moderator some time ago?

Mark, thank you for your commitment!

Hobbes

I was actually wondering the same thing as well. Mark has done so much for the AGS Community (still bummed I couldn't make it to the Amsterdam Mittens so, so many years ago!)

There's more people who're absent, but Mark does stick out with his m0ds Guest account that shows up sporadically. Hope everything's all right!

ManicMatt

I'm no longer friends with him on Facebook (Might have been for a strong difference in political views, but that's irrelevant) but looking up his profile, the last public post on it was 2016.Hmm, maybe he escaped from the shackles of the internet, ha.

Stupot

Yeah, it's weird not to see m0ds around here these days. To me he's one of the AGS All-Stars. I'm sure there are several good reasons (moving away from AGS for his games for one). Plus, the community has evolved and maybe he just doesn't feel like this is his place any more. I know some of the political trumpybrexy threads got a little bit nasty and some of Mark's views seemed less popular than others'. I don't want to put words in his mouth though. Maybe he has totally different reasons.

We can still follow him and Screen7 on Twitter, Facebook etc. Mark, if you're lurking: all the best, dude

Andail

Mark is definitely one of the founding fathers of AGS, so it's sad that he's decided to leave. I consider him a good friend too - we (and other mitteneers at the time) met IRL for the first time way back in 2002.

I also owe him a lot for publishing TSP for me, it definitely wouldn't have made it to Steam as effortlessly as it did, nor sold half as well.

With Mods gone I can only think of Gilbert who's been here longer than me of all (more or less) active members, which is making me a bit nostalgic.

ManicMatt

Ooh I joined 3 years later than you Andail! I remember learning about AGS through a short lived magazine about making games, and it had a big feature on AGS and a tutorial, and I was extremely excited to get my hands on it. It's possible I didn't even have the internet, or even a PC, to use it yet.. wow was that why I bought a PC, gosh I think it was.

Gilbert

Quote from: ManicMatt on Tue 15/05/2018 10:59:01
Ooh I joined 3 years later than you Andail!
Not really. July 2002 was the time where the community moved from Ezboard to the current forums, so members who have been here for a while "joined" here during that time. I think Andail was at least here since the Ezboard era.
Too bad Ezboard used robot.txt for protection so these old boards wouldn't show up in archived form and are lost forever.

Aaaand... before Ezboard there're actually even older ones.

Joseph DiPerla

Yep, I remember those boards. I was such an annoying little twerp back then.(yeah now too i suppose)

I thought m0ds was still around, just with a different screen name. I also assumed that FOY was cancelled a ling time ago.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

ManicMatt

Oh I see, blimey, just how old is AGS!?

Click'd

21, according to wikipedia.

kconan

He occasionally posts Kinky Island updates on Indiegogo.  I backed it way back when, and to his credit the few times I've asked for an update he responded quickly and thoughtfully.

SinSin

I spoke to M0ds not long ago. As far as I can tell he's doing fine. As a lurker of this forum I've seen many many people simply just vanish, some simply don't have the time to return (busy lives). Others go on to use other engines and simply don't return. I too have met him IRL he's a top top fella and for me one of my fav people around here. Who knows maybe he will return one day.
Currently working on a project!

AGA

Mods is fine.  He wants to step away from AGS to concentrate on other stuff, and asked me to delete his account to allow a clean break.

Snarky

Those of you who were asking may find this post (and others in that thread) interesting: https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewreply/151112/

Jack

Nice to see m0ds applying his powers of rage to the betterment of humanity.

Scavenger

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 03/10/2018 22:41:19
Those of you who were asking may find this post (and others in that thread) interesting: https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewreply/151112/

Jesus Christ... I've seen those talking points and stock phrases before... m0ds has not gone to a good place.

Gurok

Quote from: Scavenger on Thu 04/10/2018 05:36:24
Quote from: Snarky on Wed 03/10/2018 22:41:19

Jesus Christ... I've seen those talking points and stock phrases before... m0ds has not gone to a good place.

I agree. The Adventure Gamers forum is terrible.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

markymint

woop woop thought police!

I hope you're well Amelie!

m0ds left because people like Snarky would rather pull up someone's rant than ever say anything positive... and that muppet runs this place! (Not forgetting that he started editing/removing my posts and then had me kicked from the AGS team). Operating on an unproductive logic level I can't work with anymore. No more apparent than here, where a rant is supposedly akin to need-to-know info for "people who were wondering about m0ds". Were people wondering if I was having an angry rant somewhere? No, but that's what this muppet wants you to be alerted to, before anything else. Snark has never had anything good or positive to say about m0ds and m0ds grew tired of always having a constant force to battle against. He could spend his time more effectively elsewhere... Uh-oh, ranting again... (wtf)

I was going to write up in full why I left for your info, Amelie, but is it worth it? I can sum it up pretty quickly: Snarky, Azure - key reasons I left this community and the wider community. Stagnant AGS forums/site, laziness and stubbornness of the team (mostly Snarky*) to ever improve, refresh things, another big reason. Sometimes defending members behind the scenes (including yourself) where others wanted them/you removed or ignored, the point however that community member issues were effectively being papered over.

In fact, all behind-the-scenes issues generally led to the same conclusion: "Do nothing", seemingly because it's the easiest/laziest option - strange considering you'd think hobbyists would be enthusiastic for change, growth and their community. Criticisms (of games or people) considered dissent, therefore no diverse opinion flows. No more joy for point & click adventures / 2D art (I imagine hell is a 2D landscape or side of buildings). And a bunch of other things.

I may not have gone to a good place, but it is a better place, for me ;) I will extend an apology to Dave though, as I did go off the rails at Adventure Gamers. Kinda funny they will leave my rant but have banned any kind of reply to it, lol.

If I'm here then I'm a hypocrit for leaving? I'm trying to fix a few links and beyond a few bad apples there are great people here in the fray, you are welcome to get in touch if need be. But yeah I can't be getting engaged in this stuff/place again. I find facebook terrible so have removed all adventure game contacts but that isn't personal, it's hard enough to engage with "local" friends on that platform so am just trying to find a "decent experience" there (somewhat tired of people promoting their games all over the place), but I'm an open book on Twitter and emails if need be. So wish you folks the best! It's quite alright if you agree, disagree, like or dislike me. A bit of heat, a bit of passion, that's what this place used to be about in its heyday :=

* online Snarky. Gunnar Harboe is a nice enough guy but online Snarky can suck my balls.

Darth Mandarb

I still love ya m0ds!

Don't stop speakin' your mind!!

Be well, I think our paths will cross again...

Danvzare

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 04/10/2018 11:39:44
I still love ya m0ds!

Don't stop speakin' your mind!!

Be well, I think our paths will cross again...
Same here.
And just know that if you ever decide to return, you'll be met with open arms. At least by the majority of us. I never knew about any of that behind-the-scenes stuff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk