Fortnightly Writing Competition - The Pilgrimage

Started by Wiggy, Fri 18/05/2018 06:16:26

Previous topic - Next topic

kconan

Best story: WHAM
Best scene setting: WHAM
Best/worst protagonist: Babar for Agnurat

All really well spun yarns, but this round's voting categories favor a double WHAMmy vote.

Wiggy

Before I start my diatribe, thanx to all who entered and voted.

All entries were great, my votes go as follows:

Wham for best story, I really felt like I was there, so you get best writing too. Sinitrina for best protagonist, I adore Rose, and her pathos is left completely hanging in the air - bloody well written, and I wish I could give 10 votes. Babar's entry was excellent too as was Baron's - literally (to use on old-ism) a "fag paper" between them all. So totalling the votes, the Baton is handed to WHAM, and God bless all who sail in the next project. I hope you all had a better day than I did - I was pursued by a 3 metre crocodile on my afternoon walk. I should live in a city I s'pose, you only need to worry about being shot, mugged, or raped. Nice.

Cheers!

Wiggy

WHAM

Arrgh! Halt! Stop! Verrdammt!
I was really busy all week so I only just finished reading and want to cast my votes!

Sinitrena: Rose
I feel this might not have been your strongest work. Some of the phrases felt forced and a bit like filler, and a few typos and mistakes cost you the best writing here. (Only upon re-reading the rules I notice there is no best writing category this time around, so nevermind that.) Still, I feel for Rose and her story and despite the flaws, this was a rather pleasant, if grimly real and soul-crushing, read.

(In other news: fuck people who throw things into traffic. Fuck 'em with a rusty rake. Why does it keep happening every goddamn year!?)

Mandle: Bald Prophet
Good for him!

Baron: Through the Dander of Despair
Now there's a setting I did not expect to see. And well done, too. The twist ending was a bit used, a bit cliche, but the rest of the writing and the unique nature of the setting and character gives it some extra flavour.

Babar: Song of Remembrance
I'm not a huge fan of poetry, but I can appreciate the effort and style of the writing. Much better than anything I could do, that's for sure.

VOTES:
Best story: Sinitrena, for getting to me with such a real tale
Best scene setting: Baron, for the utterly unique setting
Best or worst protagonist: Sinitrena, for Rose

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Wiggy

Bzzzzt! Too late, although I agree with your statements, there has to be a finish time, or else we end up in a mutual congratulation society - you are all talented, but the idea of a competition necessitates quick and precise formation of ideas and the ability to express them into good prose. I doff my hat to those for whom English is not a native tongue, but this should not be seen as an impassable task. I reiterate that I wish I had 10 votes to cast, but the decision stands; now up against the wall - there's a good boy.

Baron

Quote from: Wiggy on Fri 08/06/2018 09:01:19I should live in a city I s'pose, you only need to worry about being shot, mugged, or raped. Nice.

But... in the country you only need to worry about being shot, mugged, or raped ...by a 3 meter crocodile! :(  And heaven help you if you are suspected of throwing something into traffic and that crocodile has a sense of vigilante justice and access to a rusty rake. :=

Congratulations WHAM and to all the other entrants.  The next competition might be a bit of a squeeze for me as I have some vacation time coming up.  I suppose I might just have to *gulp* make an early submission. (roll)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk