How should a proper audio system look like?

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sat 19/05/2018 15:17:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

First of all, I'd like to ask to not assume that me, or anyone else, will jump into doing this right away (this is to prevent premature expectations).

It's well know to anyone who has every worked with contemporary AGS audio system, that its design is somewhat lacking (to say the least), causes lots of confusion, and feels clunky even if you know how it works.

There is an issue with unreliable audio clip index, which make it impossible to reference particular clips when using a formula or saved data (without creating additional arrays to store clip pointers in the wanted order). I am still aware of that, but personally think it's a separate issue, more related to resource organization in game (you will have same problem with any other item in game, such as characters or views).

What I'd like to discuss is, what a good audio API should be.

In the past there was a suggestion to introduce new type, something like "AudioPlayback", which is returned from AudioClip.Play instead of the channel. By assumption, that would reduce the problems people have when storing AudioChannel pointer for a long time, which may later get other clip played on it. Is it a good idea?

Other questions that come to mind, if there are properties that control sound, such as speed, volume, and so on, should they be a property of AudioPlayback or a channel? Should the user be able to set up a volume of the channel, perhaps?
Should channels be created by user in the project tree? If yes, then should there be a general list of channels, or channels per audio type?

Even if you cannot or do not want to consider how this should look like in script, from the user's perspective, what would you like to be able to do there, what items or parameters are essential to control for a game developer?

PS. I know that tzachs is designing an audio system in MonoAGS too, although he took the abstraction further compared to AGS. For example, in his system there is no such thing as "audio type", instead there are "tags" which are used to setup rules for playing a clip, such as how to choose a channel, and so on. While that approach is more flexible, idk if it will be used often to full degree. AGS could have simplier built-in behavior, but provide sufficient API to let users script their own playback rules. For example: let user to explicitly set clip to the particular channel.

tzachs

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 19/05/2018 15:17:59
In the past there was a suggestion to introduce new type, something like "AudioPlayback", which is returned from AudioClip.Play instead of the channel. By assumption, that would reduce the problems people have when storing AudioChannel pointer for a long time, which may later get other clip played on it. Is it a good idea?

This is what MonoAGS is doing (only the result is called "Sound" and not "AudioPlayback"), and yes, I think it's a good idea. MonoAGS has no concept of "channel" at all which I think makes things simpler with less confusion.
The only use-cases I see for channels are:
1. Having a "radio" in your game: you can still simulate channels if you need it.
2. Exhausting all the hardware channels: less of a problem on newer devices, but you can still resolve it by allowing setting priorities for sounds without needing to introduce channels.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: tzachs on Sat 19/05/2018 16:27:20
The only use-cases I see for channels are:
1. Having a "radio" in your game: you can still simulate channels if you need it.
2. Exhausting all the hardware channels: less of a problem on newer devices, but you can still resolve it by allowing setting priorities for sounds without needing to introduce channels.

It may be that the channels in game engine are not "real" but rather an abstract "playback slot" thing, which may be assigned different attributes or purposes.

For example, a way to restrict number of simultaneous playbacks (which may not be only necessary for compatibility with device, but also for gameplay or aesthetic reasons). A way to apply sound config presets, more explicit crossfading/mixing, and so on.

The actual question is, whether it is convenient to have channel API on engine level, or leave it for script modules. In the latter case audio API should provide sufficient capabilities to create your own channel/mixer system.

For example, right now in AGS it is easy to restrict number of simultaneous music clips to 1 only by entering this in audio type settings (iirc that's default). And every next music will be always automatically replacing old one.
If there will be no built-in channel settings, all users would have to script this on their own: store the playback pointer in global variable and stop it before starting next track. I do not think that would be very good for beginners.

Of course, it does not have to be "channels", it could be something else with same effect, so long as it allows to do what is necessary.

eri0o

The actual question is, whether it is convenient to have channel API on engine level, or leave it for script modules. In the latter case audio API should provide sufficient capabilities to create your own channel/mixer system.

That's really the question I think. In engine advanced features and a module on top to make things easier for begginers.

In my game I made two main modules, a SFXplayer and a MusicPlayer. Unfortunately, I have to deal with each clip type through the explorer since the types are read-only. Also the channels have to be defined through Editor instead of script, adding manual steps before being able to use the module.

But I think that's pretty much it, most of the confusion happens from the lack of a module.

About more advanced interfaces, like mixers, I love this idea, just want to point out that WebAudio API, has never been stable, breaks a lot, so I feel that make audio stuff is just VERY hard.

Snarky

I actually think there isn't much that is seriously wrong with the AGS audio system: the main problem is that it's very poorly documented and explained, with some of the information in the manual actively misleading.

There are a lot of little fixes that could be made, but I think the greatest improvement would be something like:

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 19/05/2018 15:17:59

I see AudioPlayback (or whatever we want to call it) as essentially a stateful wrapper for AudioChannel, that keeps track of whether the clip is still playing, perhaps has a loop counter (for tracks playing on loop), and the Position property currently held by AudioChannel. If the clip has ended, all function calls and property changes are ignored.

I would also store the original volume, since I seem to remember there being a problem with dynamic audio reduction because this isn't stored. Oh, and maybe the priority, allowing you to change it while it's playing (for example, if you're crossfading two tracks manually, you might want to drop the priority of the one that is fading out, to ensure that if anything is interrupted, it's the track that is ending, not the one that is starting).

I'm not certain whether we then need the plain AudioChannel any more. Might come in handy for some things, or maybe we should instead have a class for AudioTypes and do all the "general" sound countrols on those.

Oh, and if we do introduce something like AudioPlayback, it becomes even more urgent to provide a way to access it for frame-linked audio such as footsteps.

Other feature enhancement requests:

-Fix the problem where all audio functions return null if sound is disabled, forcing game devs to wrap every call in a null check.
-Make it possible to override the AudioType of an AudioClip when you play it (so that you could e.g. play a Music track as a Sound)
-Provide some way to access a useful identifier for each AudioClip, e.g. the script name as a String property. Very helpful for debugging.
-Should MaxChannels really reserve the channels exclusively? There are pros and cons. (You don't want the music to stop because there are too many character footsteps at the same time, for example.) Maybe it should be a setting. Or maybe have both MaxChannels and MinChannels properties.

Alan v.Drake

I like the AudioPlayback idea. It feels more natural to expect the playing instance of the audioclip for which you can change panning, volume etc, whether it's actually being played on the channel or not.
Also just because something is not playing on the channel, there's no reason to kill the audio playback instance, maybe the game dev needs it for lipsync or to check when it has finished playing. Audio playback should be deterministic.
It would be also nice if there were audio buses/mixers and ways to set special effects, but that's a plus.

- Alan

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 19/05/2018 18:02:24
-Make it possible to override the AudioType of an AudioClip when you play it (so that you could e.g. play a Music track as a Sound)

Snarky, could you give an example why this may be necessary? Would that mean that user wants to apply different properties of AudioType for some particular sound?
In that case, maybe AudioType concept itself is not perfect, and some kind of "AudioSettings" preset would be more fit?

On a different topic, this recent discussion made me think about implementing PlayVoice function. If such function existed, that would make it easier to create custom speech. Also it will be non-blocking on its own, making possible to use with background speech. Or, perhaps, SayBackground could support voice tags.
This brings another question: do we need extra channels for voice-over? Or actual customizable AudioType for voice (with volume, MaxChannels properties).
Should "AudioVolumeDrop" activate whenever any speech plays, or only foreground blocking one?

morganw

The idea of MaxChannels seems to be mainly for accommodating a fixed number of channels. To start with I think it needs a mixer, where any number of streams can be played back. If there is a user defined limit, it makes more sense to apply that based on the context of what you are playing (fixed AudioType isn't really flexible enough in this case), and if there is a system defined limit it would only be there to protect against distortion.

I'd suggest tags that are assigned to the mixer channels on playback, which could be applied by default based on AudioType.

As a very rough example of what I mean:
Code: ags

// define an AudioType with some tags
AudioType music = new AudioType("music", "repeating", "crossfade");
aMusic.type = music;

// play with default tags
aMusic.Play();

// play with extra tags
aMusic.Play("room2", "room3", "quiet");

// return all channels tagged as "music"
MixerChannel[] channels = Mixer.GetChannels("music")

// turn up any music which was initially tagged as "quiet" and re-tag it
foreach (MixerChannel channel in  Mixer.GetChannels("quiet", "music"))
{
    channel.Volume = 100;
    channel.RemoveTag("quiet");
    channel.AddTag("loud");
}

Potentially you could have reserved tags like "repeating" that are implemented internally, but as long as there are no arbitrary limits or assignments on the channels I think a script module would probably be able to implement something with traditional limits (if for some reason, someone still wants them).

Dualnames

Apologies for the bump, been looking at this a lot today. In my honest opinion, the only needed formats audio wise would be ogg, wav and midi, the rest is really pushing it. I can explain from an audio perspective. Midi is midi of course, wav is lossless (flac is too) and ogg is compressed. I would argue including mp3, but that's about it imho. Anyhow, personally my biggest issue, is that audiochannels are wonky, they replace each other and there's no way unless, each time I play a sound, i get a state of the channels and ensure they are as they were before + the new sound I'm playing.

I haven't checked what AGS uses internally as an audio lib, and I wonder if increasing the limit of the audio channels will fix that (from 8 to more) issue. I remember Calin coded an fmod plugin, which at the time I didn't check if it also had the issue of the 8 channels, but a lot of users in that topic said that it fixed the audio stutters. Anyhow, I don't think FMOD is the way because of its licencing.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Snarky

Guess I never responded to this...

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 01/07/2018 17:24:20
Quote from: Snarky on Sat 19/05/2018 18:02:24

Snarky, could you give an example why this may be necessary? Would that mean that user wants to apply different properties of AudioType for some particular sound?

Let's say you have some audio that you're using as atmospheric sound (bird tweets, traffic noises...), playing randomly on a music/background audio channel (i.e. as a special audio type). Now you'd like to use the same clip for a scripted sound effect when you're interacting with a bird or a car drives by.

Or say you have a certain audio clip you're using for a particular effect in the game, for example the TARDIS sound of your vessel teleporting. You have it as a sound effect audio type. However, in some places (e.g. when you start a new game), you want to do a thing where the sound plays, and then a music track begins right after it finishes. The easiest way to do this would be to play it as a music track and then play the music queued. However, since they're not the same audio type, you can't do that currently, and have to write quite a bit of logic to align them manually (or import the clip twice).

In that case, maybe AudioType concept itself is not perfect, and some kind of "AudioSettings" preset would be more fit?

I think it's important to have some default behavior specified, but it would be nice to be able to override it. I think AudioType makes sense if it's linked to channel counts. If we get rid of the channel count limitation altogether, AudioSettings might be better.

On a different topic, this recent discussion made me think about implementing PlayVoice function. If such function existed, that would make it easier to create custom speech. Also it will be non-blocking on its own, making possible to use with background speech. Or, perhaps, SayBackground could support voice tags.

That would be great! If non-blocking, we would need a way to know how long the clip is/whether it's still playing. It also means we would need multiple voice channels...

This brings another question: do we need extra channels for voice-over? Or actual customizable AudioType for voice (with volume, MaxChannels properties).
Should "AudioVolumeDrop" activate whenever any speech plays, or only foreground blocking one?

Well, AGS reserves one of its 8 channels for voice-over already. I tend to think allowing multiple simultaneous voice clips would break a lot of logic both in the engine and in game scripts, for something that very rarely would actually be used or useful.

I'd rather suggest keeping the voice channel as-is (1 channel, blocking), but instead have a way to play voice clips as audio clips, and maybe voice versa (I'm not gonna fix that typo!), similarly to what I was saying about overriding AudioTypes.

Dualnames

The issue lies that with 8 channels almost being always used, I get either sounds cut off or not playing.
8 channels would equal
1. Speech
2. Music
3. Footsteps
4. Ambient
5. UI Click/Selection click
6. Game sound playing (example would be here a Seastar (Strangeland is a weird game) responding to a selection on a dialog UI)
7. Score Sound playing
8. Game sound playing (a pitched sound rising because of your selection (Strangeland is a weird game).

Generally if we could somehow allow the number of simultaneous sounds being played I think that would be stellar, I've been trying to devise a way around this, so I'm open to suggestions at this point. I don't know the technicalities behind the limit of 8 channels, but from a look in the code it seemed not to be something specifically set for a reason, it could be of course it, the source code is vast.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Snarky

Do you really need 3, 5 and 7 on separate channels playing simultaneously? Isn't it OK to skip footsteps and selection clicks while the score sound is playing, and maybe selection clicks while footsteps are playing?

Dualnames

Well, that's not what I'm saying, I worded it poorly, what I'm saying is there are multiple instances where more than 6 sounds are playing, given that 2 channels are predominantly used by AGS for Speech (channel 0) and Music (Channel 1). And 6 sounds can be easily cluttered imho, conceptually. Given that you could have an ambient sound, that results in 5 sounds simultaneously played, and I personally run into that a lot of the times, especially cause there are some parts of the game that use 2 ambient sounds - 3 ambient sounds that can't be combined into one. What I'm saying is my biggest problem and one I've been trying and trying and trying to patch up, is the need for more than 6 simultaneous sounds played. I've given up on using 2 music channels instead of one to do some custom crossfading, cause I can't afford taking an extra channel over the sound effects. The sounds don't have to start at the same time, there can be a point in the game, where all the channels are full.

Easy example to illustrate my point.

One track of music playing.
One ambient sound of wind.
One ambient sound of a cicada whirring (this is a character that moves from room to room)
One sound of getting an item
One sound of a UI opening
One sound of a click selection
One sound of an animation related

You could be opening a MOTOR UI and solving the puzzle relatively fast as the UI opened.
Poof, there goes the channels. And this happens, I can upload a savegame where something like that is happening.

Crimson Wizard

These channels are more logical things, we may rise their number easily or completely remove the limit (but in that case we perhaps should demand that "reserved channels" is always actual value, with default of 4-8 for example).
I do not know what happens if library runs out of real system resources though.

Dualnames

What my question is mostly about is, is that 8 channel limit based on some sort of value? What I mean is it a system limit or is that like the number of simultaneous sounds a sound card can play at the very least?

morganw

I think this is based on the trying to safely initialise the audio system and avoid distortion. If you request more 'voices' than hardware can deliver the audio initialisation will fail and you'll have no sounds at all. The audio implementation in Allegro 4 treats the first 8 voices differently by default (doesn't adjust volume to avoid distortion) so that would suggest that at some point 8 audio channels was the best default and most compatible value to use. Increasing the channel count as it stands may lead to inconsistent volume levels between channels or distortion.

Snarky

It's hard to research this online because (non-expert) sources are pretty vague and often outdated, but best I can tell, it used to be limited by the polyphony (the number of "voices" that could be rendered simultaneously) of the sound card. (Specifically FM polyphony, which could potentially be different from MIDI-type polyphony.) The EAX 1.1 standard from 1999, which might be what Allegro used as a baseline, defines "8 simultaneous voices processable in hardware" as a requirement. Any more than that, and the audio had to be downmixed in software, on the CPU.

However, around 2005 or so (by which time EAX 5.0 on the latest SoundBlaster cards had support for 128 voices in hardware), doing this (for a "reasonable" number of simultaneous audio clips) got so fast on CPUs that the question of hardware support became irrelevant, and most newer audio cards/chips for general consumers no longer have hardware support for it at all, relying completely on software downmixing.

Crimson Wizard

Part of the design problem of AudioChannels (I think I mentioned that earlier in this thread) is that they are not only restricting maximal clips playing simultaneously, but also restrict clip type to lower number of channels. For example, if you have 10 clip types (arbitrary number), then you cannot let each of those have 2 fixed channels. Only first 4 will get this reservation and the rest will probably not playing at all regardless of priority settings since there's no channel that is not reserved and would be free to use for other types.

So I believe it may be worth to split current AudioChannel concept into real playback channels which are not bound for any type at all, and "rules" - the settings that help deciding whether new clip should be playing depending on priorities and reservation settings.

Snarky

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 20/02/2019 13:55:50
Part of the design problem of AudioChannels (I think I mentioned that earlier in this thread) is that they are not only restricting maximal clips playing simultaneously, but also restrict clip type to lower number of channels. For example, if you have 10 clip types (arbitrary number), then you cannot let each of those have 2 fixed channels. Only first 4 will get this reservation and the rest will probably not playing at all regardless of priority settings since there's no channel that is not reserved and would be free to use for other types.

So I believe it may be worth to split current AudioChannel concept into real playback channels which are not bound for any type at all, and "rules" - the settings that help deciding whether new clip should be playing depending on priorities and reservation settings.

I'm a little worried that this would make the system even more complicated and be a case of overengineering. The specific problem you describe could be fixed by splitting "MaxChannels" (which is currently a misnomer) into two properties: MaxChannels and MinChannels.

MusicallyInspired

Allow referencing/seeking music file playback locations/positions by sample count instead of just milliseconds. You can already do this with sound effects but not music IIRC. This functionality is even built right into Allegro itself. I'm rather confused why seeking via samples for music hasn't been supported at all. This is frustrating as it would make looping music much more accurate, precise, and seamless. Currently we've had to have two separate music files, one for an "intro" and one for the loop section. But even that doesn't work nicely all the time as there's the ever so slightest of delays and the length of that delay seems to be random which causes an audible click. Sometimes the second music track starts too soon before the "intro" track has entirely finished, causing the music to jump. Most modern games loop audio by seeking sample counts within the same music track. This even goes right back to the Nintendo GameCube. I don't know if it's as easy as exposing the audio sample seek function of Allegro as a new possible parameter in the existing music functions in AGS or if it needs major retooling, but this is something that would make working with seamless music so much easier. Counting by milliseconds alone is simply not precise enough and unreliable.

Being able to start a loop point at any sample count in a music file (where the song will bounce back to instead of the very beginning) and then trigger that loop point at another sample count (not necessarily the end of the track) is the ideal scenario. There could be a much more robust dynamic music system scripted with this ability.
Buy Mage's Initiation OST (Bandcamp)
Buy Mage's Initiation (Steam, GOG, Humble)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk