Rainbow Skunk Prism and the Vermin-Truder

Started by DBoyWheeler, Tue 22/05/2018 23:15:48

Previous topic - Next topic

DBoyWheeler

My entry into the May 2018 MAGS competition (theme: Rats).

Help the lovely rainbow-furred skunk girl, Prism O'Breacadhanlae, get rid of a mutant ratman who's trashing her greenhouse.

The game is in a 800x600 window (assuming you set the game in windowed mode in the setup).

Here's where it is in the main AGS Games list: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2254/

The game can be found and downloaded here: https://archive.org/details/PrismMAGS_201805

[Update] Added in music and sound, courtesy of RM2K.

TheFrighter

First a bear girl in bikini, now a rainbow-furred skunk girl... your characters are really freaky, DBoyWheeler! (laugh)

_

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: TheFrighther on Wed 23/05/2018 08:43:38

First a bear girl in bikini, now a rainbow-furred skunk girl... your characters are really freaky, DBoyWheeler! (laugh)

_

selmiak

I played it and I love that main character. Though a faster walking speed would be nice.
The music adds a lot to the game, glad you added it. Some 2 more animation frames for the sideview would look better imho, and maybe less exaggerated leg movements and it's a walkcycle :)

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 23/05/2018 23:10:46
I played it and I love that main character. Though a faster walking speed would be nice.
The music adds a lot to the game, glad you added it. Some 2 more animation frames for the sideview would look better imho, and maybe less exaggerated leg movements and it's a walkcycle :)

Well, as I said many times, animating ain't one of my strengths!

Maybe for future (non-MAGS) games, I could find some people here who are far better animators than I.

Mandle

Dboy, I had a thought about what may be causing problems with walkcycles for you:

Are you cropping each frame of the animation to different sizes?

For example, a narrower image for when the character's feet are in line with each other and a wider image for when one leg is extended out in front?

If so, AGS will recenter each frame wich will cause the character to jump around wildly.

Always use the largest sprite size as the size for every image in the animation and paste the other images into that size. You may have to reposition slightly of course.

Just a thought.

fernewelten

Here's what I would suggest as the very next step to improve the sideways walkcycle animation:

If you observe people walking, you'll see that there are two points in time where they have both of their legs on the floor at the same time:

• The right leg is in front, and the right heel touches the floor; the left leg is back, and the left toe touches the floor.
  • The left leg is in front, and the left heel touches the floor; the right leg is back, and the right toe touches the floor.

In both cases, the head is over the middle.

Compare that to DBoyWheelers sheet posted here: The third and fifth figures in the second row have a similar position, but the feet do NOT touch the floor at the same time, and the head is completely over the back leg. Let's turn the lower body a bit in figure 3 so that the feet line up and the head is over the middle (I don't have the source graphics, so I can only fake it here):

BEFORE
AFTER   

Do this in the same way in figure 5 of the second row, too. This should improve the walkcycle a lot.

Yes, and listen too Mandle's tip, too: All the frames ought to have equal width, in each frame the feet should be right at the bottom, and in each frame the middle of the heads should be horizontally in the middle of the frame (it can bob up and down, but it shouldn't move to the left or right.)

Just my 2 pence,
fernewelten

Gurok

The best thing about this game is that a rainbow skunk chooses to wear a drab, brown dress.

Full review:

For such a gay and vibrant little adventure, the story has a surprisingly dark tone. Assuming that rat is
one of the many animal-based humanoids that inhabit her world, Rainbow Skunk seems like an unapologetic
pyschopath. She won't talk to the intruder unless it's to offer him cyanide, while maintaining a cheerful
demeanour because she's so emotionally detached.

There were a couple of standout things about this game. The death animation was well drawn and helped
maintain that comical cheerfulness present throughout. The music was also well chosen. Each track coupled
well with its background.

It's very easy to complete. I think this works in your favour when writing a MAGS game because everybody gets
to see the whole game. It would have been nice, however, to have a little more "meat" to the main puzzle, like
perhaps letting Rainbow Skunk read a book about almonds and choose the rounder (bitter) almonds on a close-up
screen.

Overall, an interesting story, a well-built world and a great puzzle idea. A great, short play.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk