Solution for ags error needed

Started by Slasher, Mon 04/06/2018 12:01:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Apart from needing a solution it would be nice to know WHY this error happens...

cheers

Crimson Wizard

Both of these errors are related to AGS unable to modify the data in game exe for some reason.

Previously you've posted another problem that also seem to be related to disk access (http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56123.0) You have never replied there, were you able to fix that?

Do you have "Enable Game Explorer integration" enabled in General Settings? ("Windows Game Explorer" group).
Not sure why, but it does some stuff in code even if it's disabled.

I will investigate a bit more to see under which conditions these particular issues may take place, and whether it's possible to skip if it did not work (although that may be an indication of a bigger problem).

Do you have anything that may prevent game exe from being modified? For example, Compiled folder opened in the windows Explorer (or another file explorer), Anti-virus? Is the game project on regular folder on hard drive or shared folder/network location? Do you run any kind of backup software that may sync game folder contents with a storage, like Dropbox for example?

Slasher

Hi Crimson

The error does not happen all the time but I need to restart computer. But the error eventually arises again.

My virus prog has not changed.

Game Explorer option was set at false.

No folders are open.

ags was the only Program open.

Oh, and it's ags Build 3.4.0.14

cheers

Slasher

Crimson Wizard

Another thing to check is, when this error occurs, open task manager and check if there is your game exe among the running processes. If there is, that could mean that it did not shut down correctly, but then it may be forcefully terminated through task manager command.

If the above does not help, have you tried to turn antivirus off, rebuild and see if error is gone without restarting PC?

Slasher

Hi Crimson,

I changed Game explorer to true (not quite sure how it went false)...then did a full rebuild (should have done that earlier)...

No errors so far.. fingers crossed.

Task manager by the way did not show any other programs open...

cheers

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 04/06/2018 13:22:37
I changed Game explorer to true (not quite sure how it went false)...then did a full rebuild (should have done that earlier)...

That's not what I meant, Game explorer is supposed to be OFF by default. Unless you actually want it to be enabled, of course.
I was saying that for some reason AGS does some related stuff even if it's disabled, and wanted to find out why.

Slasher

Even though it seemed ok and I changed Game Explorer back to false i'm still getting access to .exe file denied (say 80% of the time).

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 04/06/2018 13:22:37
Task manager by the way did not show any other programs open...

Did you check only Applications tab, or also Processes tab? The Processes is what important, because if game was not shut down properly it may not be displayed in Application. Make sure that there is no "YourGameName.exe" or "acwin.exe" running in the Processes list when this error happens.
You did not mention, have you tried disabling antivirus when this happens, just for a test?

Other thing I forgot to ask, does this happen only when you run game with F5 (debug mode) or also when you make "Rebuild all"?

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 04/06/2018 16:41:12
Even though it seemed ok and I changed Game Explorer back to false i'm still getting access to .exe file denied (say 80% of the time).
To make things clear: "Game Explorer" option does or does not make a difference?

Slasher

The next time it happens i will check task manager.

cheers

Slasher

It looks like it was Malwarebytes that decided to self upgrade.. I uninstalled it and it appears ok at the moment.

Deep Dark Fears

Next time, you can try to restart Adventure Game Studio and first thing to do would be build a exe. It works for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk