AlphaBlock - In Production

Started by Reiter, Sun 12/09/2021 00:27:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Reiter

Somewhere in the Block, unit E-60 enters a testing range that will push his puzzling abilities to their limit. Go forth, solve puzzles, get Block-Points, live to tell the tale.

Spoiler
[close]

The purpose? Ripe, fresh testing data for the BlockCorp.
The risks? Perfectly safe! We promise!
The reward? An Offical BlockCorp Workplace Coffee Break & Relaxation Event. With real coffee*!

*Real coffee pending - official BlockCorp ersatzstreamlined coffee will be available at the conclusion of the testing range.

BlockCorp would like to wish you a happy and productive day!

Spoiler

[close]

AlphaBlock is a small, Sierraesque puzzle game that I am making, featuring buttons, switches and a friendly computer to help you on your way. There will be score to earn, and Limited Edition Non-Denominational Spring Celebration Eggstm to find. Beat the puzzles, and win a coffee break!

Progress thus Far:

Graphics: 100%
Puzzles: 100%
Sounds and Music: 90%
General Scripting: 90%

It is proceeding steadily, and will most likely be in a presentable state by October. The bulk of the game is completed, it is mostly a matter of cutscenes, polish and a few remaining puzzles. It is only a trifle of a thing, but it has been an excellent opportunity to learn. I think it will be more than worthy of releasing when it is done.

UPDATE - 30th of September. The game is mostly complete. It is playable, and only wants some polish. Still well on the way of an October release.

Will be available in English and in Swedish. It will feature mild violence and mild swearing.

Keep an eye out for AlphaBlock - and watch this space!

Reiter

Splendid news from the Block!

The game is now mostly complete - it is playable from start to finish! Cutscenes? They are in. Sierra deaths? You bet! Limited Edition Non-Denominational Spring Celebration Eggstm? Hidden and waiting.

Here is the main menu. There is some finalisation to do, but it works!

Spoiler
[close]

All of the rooms are now completed - and all of the puzzles are done. With some help from my colleague, they have gone through some play-testing, and I am happy to report that they passed muster. Here is an example.

Spoiler
[close]

The cutscenes are done now, too. They work just as I had liked them to.

Spoiler
[close]

Also, sound and music is now implemented - the music served hot from SoundImage.org! A few effects here and there are still missing, but the bulk of the audio is done and dusted. I am very happy with it - audio feedback is a lot more important than I thought when I started out.

What remains to do, then? Well - translation needs to be done. It is unchartered territory for me, but I think that it shall work out quite well indeed.

Meanwhile, there is of course some final polish to do. I have made peace with the fact that I am going to miss a lot of things - but that is what patches are for.

An example, perhaps? Well, I used facing functions to make sure the player character stood in front of and faced the buttons he pressed. As you can imagine, it was a lot less fun in practice - he keeps getting in the way - so that will need adjusting here and there. Also, some flavour text is missing, and what is a point and click adventure without flavour text?

Besides that, and adding some final audio in, it is more or less done. I think it is fair to claim that it will be out and ready to play in October.

Matti

Reiter

I do hope so, with some final polish.

I can now reveal that it is mostly done! The translation is complete, and now it is just a matter of hunting down the last parts where the text boxes are too small for the new text.

Gameplay adjustsments are done, and I think it flows that little bit better for it. Also added a few keyboard commands, to supplement the splendid keyboard movement plug-in.

What remains, then? Some polish here and there, and setting up an itch page to host it. About time I got one of those set up, it is very practical. Cut together a trailer, perhaps?

Keep an eye out, it will be ready shortly!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk