The Rat Pack

Started by CaptainD, Mon 11/06/2018 13:11:11

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

The Rat Pack is a turn-based strategy game (prototype released for May 2018 MAGS competition - get it here).  You must manage your colony of rats and take it - and yourself - to greatness!

Features:
- Full campaign split into 3 main sections of 5 chapters apiece
- Achievements (probably)
- Simple interface, yet deep strategic planning required

Dev Team:
Design, Coding and SFX by CaptainD
Artwork, Design and Testing by Kastchey

Thanks to everyone who has played and offered feedback on the MAGS version of the game. ;-D

WIP screenshots

lorenzo

I loved the MAGS version, this looks even better!
I wonder how the campaign mode is going to play. And... treasure? 8-0

Can't wait to play it!

CaptainD

Thanks Lorenzo ;-D

A little peek at how the updated GUI is looking... got a few more things to implement in addition to the obvious omissions on this screen:

ManicMatt

The Rat Pack, ha, is there a Dean Martin-esque music score? Either way I like it.

If you lose, can you say "Rats!"

It's always cool to see unconventional games made in AGS!

CaptainD

Thanks Matt!

Just getting the rest of the game features in place and working on balancing it all before I add the campaigns...

Shockingly few references to Dean and the gang I'm afraid, perhaps I can add some later! ;)

CaptainD

Update:

- I'm moving options to a menu that opens up when you press escape, so there will be 3 more options to choose in the game itself
- Working on the game missions

- WIP chapter and mission selection screens

- Plot synopsis done:
You're a young rat trying to make his way in the world, and start off with a small commission from King Rat.  By setting up colonies in different locations, completing mission objectives and rising up the ratty echelons by sending tribute to King Rat, you can eventually hit the big time - but it won't be easy!

The game features 15 missions split across 3 storylines, with your options for leading your rats increasing as you progress.  Do you have what it takes to be a true leader among rats?

lorenzo

Looks real nice! And the campaign sounds more complex than I had imagined.

CaptainD

Latest (still WIP but getting close to the real thing) screenshots:

CaptainD

Just a quick update- this is the finished mission selection screen for the first chapter:

Have I mentioned lately that Kastchey is an amazing artist?

In other news, I've decided to have entirely procedurally-generated music in-game, though I may commission a theme tune for the menu screens.

KyriakosCH

Reminds me of Sim Ant!

We need more strategy games!!!
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

CaptainD

You know I don't think I've ever actually played Sim Ant... :~(

After a slight hiatus, I'm back working on this.  Behold!  A slightly rough around the edges look at the title screen through to the first mission (mocked up without all the early game limits - you have to earn the right to build a Rat Lab and ask for help from King Rat!) :grin:

Mandle

Ooooohhhhh, this looks great!

Loved the original MAGS entry and wanted more!

CaptainD

Thanks Mandle!

Final update of the GUI (info pane added to reduce the number of messages you have to click through):

I've also decided to make the random event graphics slightly transparent full-screen thingies - I'm certain Kastchey will make a full recovery from that news.

Well, fairly certain...

Here's my favourite music track so far that will be in the game (it reminds me a little of JM Jarre's Chronologie in places)

ManicMatt

Looks very deep, could be addictive! Wouldn't the text panel look better and clash less if it was black rather than blue?

Kastchey

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 14/11/2018 20:59:44
I've also decided to make the random event graphics slightly transparent full-screen thingies - I'm certain Kastchey will make a full recovery from that news.
*cough cough* Arrrghh..
//recovering

Quote from: ManicMatt on Sat 17/11/2018 08:49:17
Looks very deep, could be addictive! Wouldn't the text panel look better and clash less if it was black rather than blue?
It probably would but no worries, the current text panel is just another placeholder :)

CaptainD

Ever so slowly, it's getting there - don't point out any bugs, I know there are plenty! :-D:-[  Also balancing is not sorted yet for this mission so again - don't tell me, I know!!

lorenzo

Judging from the video it seems extremely buggy. I'll send you 5 or 6 PMs pointing out all the bugs, later. Also, this mission is extremely unbalanced. Are you going to do something about that??

Just joking, it looks awesome! :cheesy: Can't wait to play it!

Slasher

Just keep at it Captain (nod)

CaptainD

Thanks lorenzo and slasher!  Keeping at it.  Thanks also for the PMs, lorenzo, I have filed them appropriately...  :grin:

Got some new artwork from the nearly rehabilitated Kastchey for the mission intros, so here is the first one in its probably almost final state:

lorenzo

Great work, Captain and Kastchey! The game is looking better and better!

Quote from: CaptainD on Sat 22/12/2018 14:44:40
Thanks also for the PMs, lorenzo, I have filed them appropriately...  :grin:
(laugh) (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk