The Rat Pack

Started by CaptainD, Mon 11/06/2018 13:11:11

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

†‹Following a poll on Twitter which was overwhelmingly in favour of the idea, I will be launching an open beta of The Rat Pack in the near future.  This will effectively be the full game but without polish added and without achievement.  Feedback from this will help me considerably with testing and balancing and game. 

I plan to give testers whose feedback I use a mention in the credits and a discount on the full game when released; if a tester's feedback is particularly valuable, I will gift them a copy.

The open beta could potentially start as early as January 2019, but... watch this space.

CaptainD

The open beta has just launched!

https://captaind.itch.io/the-rat-pack-full-version

See here fore details on in-game controls and how to give feedback:

https://itch.io/t/389194/open-beta-details

(Obviously if anyone wants to PM me on the forums here that would be fine too :wink:)

CaptainD

Just a little more information as it might not be completely obvious, especially as in the OBT you can access any level from the start whereas in the full game you will progress through the levels sequentially:

On the first Mission your options are very limited.  More options open up as you get further into the game.  The first mission is very restricted in options and all you really have to do is keep your rats alive and build up your colony - then you'll be able to Scavenge for Treasure, then build the Rat Lab which lets you increase your skills, then later on raiding opens up, then giving tribute to and seeking aid from King Rat. 

Every option is available from the same screen and your stats will update after each one as they all end the turn.  Options are greyed out when they are not available yet until later Missions, due to prerequisites not being met (for instance, not having enough Treasure to buy a Skill Upgrade), to because they are only available every x number of turns (for instance Raiding).

Although it's still a placeholder graphic, on the Chapter Selection screen you can click on the Tutorial bit at the top right of the screen to be taken to a screen where, if you click on any option, you will get a description of that action.

CaptainD

Updated version uploaded with some bug fixes and 50 achievements added (though sorry beta testers, you won't get to carry them over into the final game :p):

sawyer

CaptainD

Just a quick message  to say that after a fairly long hiatus, The Rat Pack is back in production - to prove this here is a thing I did that Kastchey will turn into a much better looking thing.

If anyone ever manages to get all 100 achievements I will send them a virtual cheese sandwich!

lorenzo

Nice! Those are a lot of achievements!
Although, for some reason I can't see the image on the page, only if I open it directly.

CaptainD

Just a quick note to say that testing is going really well, aided by some great feedback from our new team members Lorenzo and Durq (Chief Lab Rats).  Lots of features going into the game to make it more enjoyable experience.  Some remaining assets to fill in, a bit more coding, a bit more testing and we will be ready to go!  :cheesy:

CaptainD

Still getting the last bits done on this, while I mess about with the code feast your eyes on some lovely screens by Kastchey:

lorenzo

Looks lovely! Fantastic work, Kastchey!

Kastchey

Thanks! We're getting there :)

Athanor

Looks fantastic! I love how the background images illustrate the narrative progression from the countryside into the city. I want to play this game - when can I throw my hard earned dough at you? :)

CaptainD

Quote from: Athanor on Mon 10/02/2020 09:25:36
Looks fantastic! I love how the background images illustrate the narrative progression from the countryside into the city. I want to play this game - when can I throw my hard earned dough at you? :)

Soon, hopefully - I have just made what I hope are the final tweaks to the gameplay, we have a few more graphical elements to put in and then basically it's just testing.  I hope to have the first Release Candidate ready within the next week or two (real life permitting!).

I just realised how this (from the MAGS game which was basically a prototype of the full game):

Became this when I first anounced the game in June 2018:

And has slowly morphed into this, representing the final game screen:

I guess this well illustrates my original plan for the game of seeing if I could make a satisfyingly complex TBS using a single screen interface - definitely not overwhelming in complexity but it should cause a little grey matter usage!

Athanor

Wonderful to hear! I'll stay tuned and prepare my wallet. :)

Stupot

Looking great. I love those mission menu screens.

CaptainD

Apologies for the necropost but I am, finally, back working on this and close to announcing a release date.

[imgzoom]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAPJVJGXsAAjOTx?format=jpg&name=large[/imgzoom]

CaptainD

Releasing this Friday (15th October) on Itch only.
Patron copies going out tomorrow evening.

The rats are coming!

CaptainD

I'll do a proper post in the Completed Games section later, add it to the AGS games page and all, but in the meantime...

The rats are here!

The Rat Pack is now available on Itch:

Darth Mandarb

Congrats on the release!

I'll leave this open (unlocked) for a bit so people can see/respond.

Cassiebsg

Congrats on the release!   :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk