Incredibly sad news

Started by CaptainD, Mon 11/06/2018 21:27:27

Previous topic - Next topic

DBoyWheeler

Tragic indeed.

When a person decides to end his/her own life, it becomes a mystery to me.  A mystery I know I can never solve, but wish I could.

And that mystery is: What could've caused that person to think that life no longer had meaning?  What trauma or heartache could someone had gone through that was so extremely severe, it make him/her think that death is the only escape?

Man, this event is one of those that definitely hits close to home, being a tragedy that affects the AGS community.

Here's to you, Amayirot Akago, you'll be missed.

Andail

Very sad news.
My condolences to those near to him.

yamipanda

So sad to hear this. I didn't know him personally, but always appreciated him as part of our community. He will be missed.

Danvzare

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 11/06/2018 21:27:27
Just saw on Twitter - I have no reason to believe its not genuine - that AGSer Amayirot Akago tragically took his own life this morning.  Thoughts are with his friends and family, I thought people here would want to know even though it's heartbreaking. Sorry to be the bearer of such very bad news.
Wait what!?! 8-0
But... why!
No!
I never knew him personally, but I always saw him as being part of the AGS Forums family. I still remember the post he made about the origins of his username. :~(

He will sorely be missed.

I know it won't happen. But now I'm hoping he will come onto the forums and say that someone made it up. :~(

Riaise

This is incredibly sad. As many others have said, I didn't know him personally, but his presence on the forum will be missed.

Retro Wolf

I haven't had much interaction with the guy, but that's awful news and I'm very sorry to hear what happened.

arj0n

Mouth for war

Oh man. I never directly "spoke" with him but I remember him well. So sad to hear that :-(
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Tabata

I don't know what to say - it is so unbelievably sad to realize that someone felt the only solution to be is giving up in such a way. :cry:

Frodo

OMG, I'm so sorry to hear this news.  It's such a tragedy.  :sad:

My heart goes out to all his friends and family. 

Creamy

Mandle

Quote from: Tabata on Tue 12/06/2018 17:35:25
I don't know what to say - it is so unbelievably sad to realize that someone felt the only solution to be is giving up in such a way. :cry:

Several things I have heard about suicide over the years that have always stuck with me:

Stephen King wrote what I feel is a very thoughtful and honest look at the option of suicide:

He wrote something along the lines of:

"The path to suicide is a long hallway with many doors on both sides with signs on them reading "What if?" and a door at its end with a sign on it reading "Too late!""

I also heard another person say, forgot who it was, but they said "Instead of killing yourself, why not just sell everything you own, take that money that you won't be needing anyway, and go live on a beach somewhere for a few months, and then think about it again."

Billy Connolly suggested that anyone considering jumping off of a tall structure to kill themself should maybe do a bungee jump first as a test run and then see how they feel about it.

I've also heard a story about a guy who jumped off of the Empire State Building and said he regretted his choice around about passing by the 8th floor. The story goes that he landed on a taxi roof which broke his fall enough just to end up extremely injured. Some versions of the story say that the taxi driver died.

As a person who is not suffering from clinical depression all of these comments make perfect sense to me.

But I have heard, read, and seen in movies (and even games) what actual depression is like for the people suffering from it.

The name itself "Depression" might be a bit unfortunate as it implies to others "I'm just really sad". And the general public responds with "It's tragic that he/she was so sad that they had to take that way out."

The things that people suffering from this condition go through every single moment of one of their downward trends are horrifying: They talk about their brain telling them every single moment things like:

"You're not good enough."
"Everyone hates you."
"The world would be better off without you."
"Kill yourself and everyone will be happier."

Like you have the ultimate bully in your head that will not shut up and you can never get away from and that your brain starts to believe.

I gotta admit that if I had to deal with that I would probably just get it over with.

Starting to unlabel the badly named illness of "Depression" as meaning just "Really sad" is a start maybe?

I have no idea...

Baron

I am very saddened by this news.

abstauber

Very sad news indeed. My sincere condolences to everyone close to him

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk