Writing Games

Started by johnny_monkey, Mon 21/04/2003 23:55:11

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny_monkey

I'm new at this so bare with me...I was just wondering how you go about actually writing a game...do you write it in like script form?  Or do you just make it up as you go?  I mean, how do you map out the puzzles and the like?  

Sorry if that's a little confusing...any help would be appreciated!

Raggit

I find this confusing sometimes too.

But here is how I do it.

For instance lets say you've got a sitaution where the player has to get a key from behind a book on a shelf and unlock a door.

-The player should then interact with the bookshelf and a message is displayed saying "You move the book and find a key! You pick it up and take it with you." Then the player should click the key on the door and go through it. When he does a message should appear saying "The key fits perfectly! You open the door and go through."-

That is kinda how I write stuff similar to a script but in kind of a walk-thru form. Giving directions and stuff.

How do other people do it?
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

WildCaToad

I always create the plot first, and sketch it out in a rough draft as if it were just a short story or something.  I then go through the plot and search for puzzles that already exist within it.  Not like "how do I get through this door" puzzles, but the larger, overriding ones that are derived from the basic conflict-resolution (aka problem-solution) nature of a plot-driven story.  These larger problem/puzzles can then be broken down into somewhat smaller ones, which can be broken down into the 1 and 2 point "get through this door" puzzles that culminate in solving the big one.  Constructing puzzles this way--with kind of a de-construction of the plot--also helps you to construct non-linear games, as the puzzles occur in chunks that can be addressed by the player when they choose to.  Did that make any sense at all?  :-)

Ionias

First I write up a basic plot. Then I refine the plot. Then I start drawing up sketches of the rooms and do a basic story board. I think this is the best way to go about it. Some folks just wing it. Depends on how large your game is going to be I guess.

rodekill

SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk