Game pitch competition, existential twist edition, vote now!

Started by Andail, Tue 26/06/2018 17:04:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for your favourite game pitch

1 (7.7%)
4 (30.8%)
0 (0%)
3 (23.1%)
5 (38.5%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Tue 10/07/2018 19:46:47

Andail

Here are the entries of this round. Please use the poll to help decide a winner.

You're tasked with finding survivors in an arctic research facility. All you have in your inventory is a gun, with only one bullet. You'll face various enemies, and the question is always - should you use your one remaining bullet, or is it possible to find another way around them (using your wits and environmental puzzles)?

Eventually, you'll end up trapped in a sort of life-preserving chamber, unable to get out. The single bullet can be used to end your otherwise eternal existence in this chamber. If you've already used it, the game won't end.

Convicts sentenced to multiple life sentences must serve them, in full, doing hard labor in the toxic wasteland around the Ross Peniplex, where genetically modified pets gone feral prey among mirages projected by discarded AR equipment. Only a completed lifespan and natural death counts as time served: the prisoners are then cloned to resume their sentences.

Clemens' last lifetime didn't count, since he ended it by blowing himself up. In fact, because he took out the prison's memory banks in the explosion, he must restart his sentence from the beginning â€" and he has no idea why he did it. Who had he become?

An existential Cyberpunk RPG-adventure in the style of Planescape: Torment or I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, with graphics created through a combination of 3D renders, photobashing and AI-supported DeepDream generation.

Karma Quest (working title)

You play as a brave knight out on a quest in this RPG style game.The twist is that whenever you are killed by an enemy you are reincarnated as one of the enemy types you have already killed and must fight the knight at the skill/power level he was at when he killed your enemy type last.If you die you are reincarnated as a different enemy type he has killed and repeat the process.Only when you win against the knight are you worthy to be reicarnated as him again and able to continue your quest.Karma is a bitch!

La Torsion

It starts with Bert Sartre feeling strange, unable to enjoy sex with a local barmaid, and culminates in a part where he must shoot an Arab or commit suicide.

To facilitate a sense of living for the moment, the game forgets about actions that happened more than five minutes ago. Most of what you do is inconsequential and some puzzles rely on this. There's a commitment UI where you can decide that two or more game events will have meaning. This links the events and gives poor Bert a release from disgust.

Also, there's an existential twist.

At the funeral of writer Martin Dyer, prayers and eulogies are had. A shout rings from the back of the Church. The mourners turn to see Martin lying naked on the flagstones, crying. The coffin is empty and the Cancer is gone.

You play as Martin, upon release from hospital (all clear), as he finds out what happened to him while a crazy cult forms around the man who just might be the second coming. The question is: is he?

“They” had come and destroyed everything Samantha had ever cared about.  “They” were cruel, uncaring and unmerciful. “They” were the instrument of a despotic ruler who was accountable to nobody.
Samantha longed for revenge, and her opportunity has at last come; however the only way she has a chance for revenge is to become one of “Them” herself.  In doing so, Samantha will be forced to question everything she has ever known, and the ruler's true identity will dismay her.

dactylopus

Dang.  I probably won't be able to participate this time.  I had a nice idea written out to post when the next contest came up, but I didn't count on a theme.  Thinking about it is giving me an existential twist.

cat

Stupot

Yeah, I'm also struggling to come up with a good twist. Between them, M. Night Shyamalan and Saw have already done them all.

Snarky

I suggest adding the sentence "Also there's an existential twist" to the end of the pitch. :P

CaptainD

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 28/06/2018 14:08:15
I suggest adding the sentence "Also there's an existential twist" to the end of the pitch. :P

Genius! (laugh)

Cassiebsg

* Cassiebsg predicts 15 entries that end with "Also there's an existential twist" (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

dactylopus

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 28/06/2018 14:08:15
As long as 85 words isn't too many, I may have to do that!

Snarky

Last chance to submit, if anyone's come up with anything existential in the last week!

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Andail

Damn, I though the theme would make it easier to come up with stuff, not the other way around :(

Alright, still a handful of entries. Let the reading, speculating and voting begin!

Stupot

Voted. The one I voted for is a really good idea. Make it, whoever you are. (nod)

I can confirm I did enter.

To be honest I'd rather know who all the entrants are before matching them to the pitches. I find it too messy otherwise.

Gurok

#2. I'm interested in the mystery surrounding the main character, but as with all of these, it might be a bit too dark. I really like the idea of using DeepDream for art.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

dactylopus

#1 has everyone's favorite Sierra game feature.

I like #3 & #6.

I voted for #2.  Seems the most out of the ordinary, and I'd be interested in seeing how it was accomplished.

Andail

I actually entered this one myself, mostly because participation was a bit low this time around. It's a pretty bad pitch though, so I don't expect (m)any votes, hehe...
I shall vote randomly for another entry, knowing who wrote which one.

Mandle

Quote from: Andail on Fri 06/07/2018 06:18:07

Wouldn't it just be better not to vote, then? Not very fair if someone loses because they were beaten by the random vote is it?

Andail

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 06/07/2018 08:35:53
Quote from: Andail on Fri 06/07/2018 06:18:07

Wouldn't it just be better not to vote, then? Not very fair if someone loses because they were beaten by the random vote is it?

True. My reasoning was that if I refrained from voting, that's effectively voting on myself (albeit in a dilluted form), since every other participant will vote on an entry that isn't their own.
Maybe it's better if I simply voted on my favourite pitch, instead :)

Blondbraid

I voted for 2, since it felt like the most intriguing one to me, but I had a very hard time deciding between that and number 5.

CaptainD

Some interesting ideas here, I think my vote goes to #5 as it has a lot of possibilities both for the player and what actually happens to him.

Wasn't there a fairly stringent word limit though?  If feels like almost every entry broke it unless I'm remembering wrongly!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk