MAGS July “Shocking” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/07/2018 00:02:16

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS July?

Stories of the unexpected: 'Until further notice'
1 (5.6%)
The Lightning Spell
4 (22.2%)
Welcome to Nod River
2 (11.1%)
The Shaft
10 (55.6%)
Pizza Calls
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: Thu 16/08/2018 00:10:17

Stupot

The voting is over!

Well done to The Shaft by Kastchey, the person with the most difficult to remember consonant cluster in their name.

You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for September :-)

Thanks everyone who participated.

Stories of the unexpected: 'Until further notice' by Slasher
The Lightning Spell by Buckethead
WELCOME TO NOD RIVER by Mandle
The Shaft by Kastchey
Pizza Calls by VampireWombat

Topic: Shocking
Deadline: July 31st

Topic suggested by fernewelten.

Make a game in which energy or electricity must play an important role. (Might mean power stations, might be in Paris, France (town of the light) or Vegas, USA, might mean cops with tasers chasing thugs, might be a quest for energy in a distopian world...)

Pre-made assets are allowed.

Mandle

Hmmmmmm... Gives me an idea for a version of the game "Iraira Bou", except designed by someone like Jigsaw: If you touch the sides you die from a massive electric shock!!!

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

Slasher

I have a little number in mind...All I have to do is develop it (laugh)

Stories of the Unexpected
  'Until further notice'

VampireWombat

I'm almost disappointed. When I saw your name listed as the last post, I half expected you to say you already had your game finished.

I can say I have no ideas in mind at all yet. The theme did make me think of Arcanum a bit.
Hopefully something will trigger an actual idea for me sometime this week.

Edit: While trying and failing to take a nap, something in a video I had on in the background triggered an idea. It's not in any way an original idea, but it is at least an idea.
An underground world that's running low on supplies, especially energy. The player character(s) will of course be finding a solution. No idea on anything more specific, but it's at least a starting point.

Slasher

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 01/07/2018 12:59:07

Edit: While trying and failing to take a nap, something in a video I had on in the background triggered an idea. It's not in any way an original idea, but it is at least an idea.
An underground world that's running low on supplies, especially energy. The player character(s) will of course be finding a solution. No idea on anything more specific, but it's at least a starting point.
You saw an idea after seeing something that triggered that idea... Now, that's my style of thinking (laugh)

Sorry to disappoint you VampireWombat :-[. However, I am working on the 5th Room ;)

VampireWombat

Ideas being triggered by something is usually how my best ideas come. Intentionally trying to think of something rarely works out well.

And it's alright. I was just joking. I wouldn't expect even you to have something finished within 13 hours of the theme being announced.
But 5 rooms is impressive. I'll probably have to watch a movie or anime series to even have an idea to start my first room.

TheFrighter

Slasher, you're shocking fast! (laugh)

Spoiler

(Hey, are you still working on Ghost Man?)

[close]

Slasher

TheFrighther: Ghost Man is on the back burner for another day (nod)

Slasher

My story-line:
Spoiler

player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "Thought I'd find you in here!");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "What's the meaning of this, George?!");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "\"Dear Mr Filkins,...\"");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "Since when have I been MR FILKINS to you?");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "\"...unless you settle your account by the 28th of October I will be taking action.\"");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "\"I shall be compelled to...\"");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "Need I go on?");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "I'v been a good customer of yours for twenty years! I'v known you for thirty!");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "I'm just going through a rough. economic time! It's the recession!");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "We are all feeling the pinch, Bert.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "I'm sorry.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "You are three months behind on your loan repayments to Ponsonby Metals.");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "What's a bill like this to a firm like yours?");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "I'v just returned from the bank trying to negotiate a new loan.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "They turned me down. I never got what I wanted.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "Bert...");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "...haven't even told this to my wife.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "Ponsonby Metals is on the verge of bankruptcy.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "When I came out of the bank I was thinking, if I had a gun.");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "If you had a gun?...");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "Silly really. But I would have been tempted to hold up the bank.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "A plan formed in my mind.");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "Have you got a gun?");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "Me, a gun?");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "Why would I have a gun?");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "I have some guns. I used to collect them.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "You'r not being serious, are you?");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "With what's going on, I'v nothing to lose.");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "It was your idea.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "But Bert, I can't do prison. I'm a justice of the peace.");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "You'r about to go bankrupt...");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "...and I still know about robbery.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "You mean from your criminal days?");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "Precisely.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "But you'r straight now, Bert.");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "Drastic times call for drastic measures!");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "I still have some tools from the old days.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "I don't know, Bert.");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "Fine. You go bankrupt then.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "OK, OK.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "There is an empty, decrepit house right next door to the Provisional City Bank.");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "We can tunnel into the bank from there.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "The wife's away visiting her mother.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "We'll have to do it late. The less people around the better.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "Meet me outside the old empty house next to the bank at twelve o'clock tonight.");
cPonsonby.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "I'm sure you can get us inside.");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "I'll go and get my tools.");
player.SayAt(90, 64, 900, "I'll see you at midnight.");
[close]

Mandle

Ohhhh SLasher... That storyline sounds awesome. If I turned on the TV and a movie was opening with that premise, I would watch it for sure!

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 03/07/2018 11:08:10
Ohhhh SLasher... That storyline sounds awesome. If I turned on the TV and a movie was opening with that premise, I would watch it for sure!
Just for you ;)
Spoiler

VampireWombat

The story makes me think of the Heist episode of The White Rabbit Project.
Or Short Circuit 2. Maybe even a bit of Robot & Frank.
Now I want to see a movie or game with a group of men in their 70s befriending a robot and spending the weekend drilling into the basement of a bank.

Mandle

Just one thing Slasher:

Spoiler
"I'v" should be "I've" and "You'r" should be "You're". Apart from those I didn't see other typos.
[close]

Slasher

Slasher

Hi

I'm off this week having been hoodwinked into going on holiday with my brother and dad, so you can all rest in peace to get on with your entries (laugh)

VampireWombat

Have fun on your vacation.

I haven't even figured out the setting or species of characters yet. All I have is some vague ideas. I'm hoping to read or watch something soon to trigger better ideas.

Edit: After a couple of hours looking on Pinterest, I have at least figured out the setting. So I can at least work on backgrounds some.

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 08/07/2018 13:23:17
After a couple of hours looking on Pinterest, I have at least figured out the setting.

I know every creative person has a different way of getting inspiration but, for me, searching for it in such a deliberate way has never worked.

I would start with something I'm already interested in and see where my imagination takes me from there to attempt to make it into something playable and hopefully fun.

And most of all: I always try to make a game that I think I will have fun playing, which is why I mostly don't make adventure games. I want to play my own games and adventure games don't lend themselves to that option much: by the time you're finished making one you're probably so fed up with looking at it that you never want to see it again... (laugh)

VampireWombat

It varies for me. And the thing about Pinterest is that spending more than 30 minutes usually means having strayed from what originally was looked up.

Usually my best ideas come to me when I'm trying to get to sleep. But often they wouldn't have come if I hadn't been actively searching beforehand.

For me it's a combination of what I'd like to play and trying to tell a story that I want to tell. Or at least that's my goal.
Of course it might not be something I'd want to play for a year or two after making it...

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 09/07/2018 15:16:00
Usually my best ideas come to me when I'm trying to get to sleep. But often they wouldn't have come if I hadn't been actively searching beforehand.

Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense actually! I often think about my games when sleep eludes me and inspiration strikes often at such times as well.

Jojo_the_monkey

Hi there!! If you need some audio for this month mags game, please let me know. If you have already a story or some art, it will be perfect for getting some inspiration. Thanx!!! :)
I should have listened to my mother---I should have practised.

VampireWombat

As much as I'd love to have original music for my game, I fear I'm just not far enough into it. Since Loom is one of the major influences for what I'm planning to do, I'll probably end up using some sort of classical music.
Saturday will probably be the soonest I'll even have anything more than a vague storyline.

Stupot

How's things going?
Any secret entries?

Jojo_the_monkey

Classical music is not my comfort zone; but that would be a challenge, especially for a mags game! I will follow the topic for updates.
I should have listened to my mother---I should have practised.

VampireWombat

Actually, classical music was just an idea because it's something easily found and Loom used a variation of Swan Lake.

But thinking some, I do kind of have an idea for music that could be useful. Something that conveys a feeling of isolation, specifically being isolated underground.

Buckethead

I'm working on an entry as well:

I have one puzzle that is finished right now. Still need to do a few more. Also everything is very bare right now, no reactions or hints yet when you look at something. So still a lot to do, but I should have a game with a beginning and an end before the month is over.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 15/07/2018 12:45:37
That looks awesome Buckethead. (nod)

It's so pretty I actually thought I was in the Guess The Game thread by accident.

Buckethead

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 15/07/2018 14:26:33
Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 15/07/2018 12:45:37
That looks awesome Buckethead. (nod)

It's so pretty I actually thought I was in the Guess The Game thread by accident.

Wow that's quite the compliment. I hope you will enjoy playing the game also.

slumber

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 14/07/2018 10:56:09
How's things going?
Any secret entries?
i was cooking something up, got most of the code finished (though not entirely tested) and i was about to do proper graphics (or ask for help :wink:) when it hit me - i am partly using an idea i had for last months MAGS that i did not enter due to lack of time so that would be basically cheating.

Mandle

Quote from: slumber on Mon 16/07/2018 07:50:19
i was cooking something up, got most of the code finished (though not entirely tested) and i was about to do proper graphics (or ask for help :wink:) when it hit me - i am partly using an idea i had for last months MAGS that i did not enter due to lack of time so that would be basically cheating.

Wait, was it just an idea or had you actually created assets for it last month that you were using this month?

The former is fine but, yeah, the latter might not be okay.

slumber

no assets, no code, just a plot idea that had its ending. this month i thought of extending it a bit:
Spoiler
ice is expanding from a certain part of a universe and the goal was to get from one planet to another where the cannon is located and fire it to melt the ice.
this month i thought about an extension that the cannon needs some power core to make it work - finding it is the current goal (the game starts with us already standing next to the cannon).
[close]

Hobo

Quote from: slumber on Mon 16/07/2018 14:19:26
no assets, no code, just a plot idea that had its ending. this month i thought of extending it a bit:
I think it's perfectly fine if you enter with that. The rules even allow pre-made assets, who cares about a few ideas or plotlines.

Slasher

I'm back from Holiday. Well, if you can call it that.

My brother and I took my father to Great Yarmouth for 7 days.

My father is 90 and has dementia.

If you have ever lived with a person with dementia you will know how it went.

Anyhow, back to normal and on with the game (nod)

Retro Wolf

With Kweepa's module I've created an electric fence on a procedurally generated desert.
This is actually the same AGS room reloaded, you can walk forever in either direction and it will always be the same when you come back. How I'm going to put that into something that's fun to play I haven't decided yet. The more pieces and rules I add the more interesting and diverse the backgrounds become.

[imgzoom]http://s20.postimg.cc/o2a9ikljh/sand2.gif[/imgzoom]

If I don't finish I will at the very least release the secret technology!
I could see this being useful in a King's Quest like RPG game that's designed to simulate a long journey. You'd still have hand crafted rooms such as castles and pubs, but if you wanted a large forest or desert in-between these locations for random encounters and levelling up.

@Slasher: Sorry to hear that mate.

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 17/07/2018 12:18:30
If you have ever lived with a person with dementia you will know how it went.

I haven't lived with one, but my father had dementia in his last years and I saw the effects of it on my mother and her lifestyle.

If it's not too painful for you or if you could use it as a way to deal with such feelings: The experience could make for an amazing "game"...

Cassiebsg

Uhm... I wasn't planing to enter... but I just now thought I could do "Shock in the Air"... (roll) (laugh)

VampireWombat

You should do it. Make the clown neighbor fly a kite and get electrocuted or something.

slumber

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Tue 17/07/2018 12:31:42

this is amazing! to a noob to AGS like me it seems like rocket science :shocked:

KyriakosCH

Hm, can the game be shocking in a metaphorical sense? (eg very violent, etc)
I was thinking of something about a series of murders, to be exact.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

Something may be in the works:

Spoiler
[close]

Slasher

Hi,

I'm glad to see some ideas brewing....

You're a teaser Mandle (laugh)

My entry is virtually done and I just need to cross the T's and dot the I's and then it's testing time.

DisplayAt(440, 10, 900, "You sing with joy.");
    cBert.SayAt(80, 10, 900,"'Money's the root of all evil...'");
    cPonsonby.SayAt(80, 10, 900,"'Money's the root of all evil...'");
    cBert.SayAt(80, 10, 900,"'Money's the root of all evil...'");
    cPonsonby.SayAt(80, 10, 900,"'I won't contaminate myself with it...'");
    cBert.SayAt(80, 10, 900,"'Give it to me...'");
    cPonsonby.SayAt(80, 10, 900,"'Give it to me...'");
    cBert.SayAt(80, 10, 900,"'Give it to me...'");
    cPonsonby.SayAt(80, 10, 900,"'Muah, Muah.'");

(laugh)

VampireWombat

I'm kind of at a crossroads myself. I have 3 options at this point really. I could condense my story, I could end it with a to be continued or whatever, or I could just make a shorter and simpler game for this month and wait to do this one when I can fully flesh it out.

Slasher - 2 things to point out. The actual saying is the love of money is the root of all evil. But it's one of those things that's become as acceptable as people saying I could care less instead of I couldn't care less. So it's more of a nitpicky thing.
And the other is that Give it too me should be Give it to me.
But glad to see you back and already working on your game again.

Slasher

Hi VampireWombat,

It's actually the saying from another source...(Rising Damp)

And it's not so much about love of money..

Too to To... Thank's..

Done (nod)

VampireWombat

Ohh, okay. Then definitely keep love out of it.

And unless I can think of a better solution, I think I'm going to just adapt an idea a friend had from a dream. The biggest issue with it will be making sure it's not too close in tone to Fran Bow since it does have a talking cat.

Slasher

Glad a friend gave you an idea and what's wrong with a talking cat, VampireWombat? Who does not love a talking cat (laugh)

Here is a NEW splash build preview of my entry (supposed to say July):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUDgBZuDJE

And here is a screenshot:

VampireWombat

The idea is actually something he talked about in May. And was literally just his cat calling him Jacob and telling him to buy pizza.
And there's nothing wrong with a talking cat. It's just that Fran Bow starts with a talking cat and Coraline also has a talking cat. So I just have to make sure to not having anything too close to either one.

Congratulations on getting this far in your game.

Slasher

Maybe you can use something else, like a dog (laugh)

VampireWombat

I think replacing the cat would remove it too much from the original idea.
I think if I keep imagery surreal, but not violent it should be okay. At least there's no fear of accidentally getting too close in story since this game won't have an actual plot.

Mandle

Maybe it could be a dinosaur that says "Alan!"?

That could be pretty shocking...

VampireWombat

Sure, if you happen to be Sam Neill...

Mandle

I have spent about an hour tonight working on some graphics that are starting to look pretty awesome to me at least.

I can't show them because spoilers but...

They are looking pretty awesome anyway and I can't wait to get back to them tomorrow!

Slasher

It's countdown time til release.

Storyline:
Two middle aged guys set out to rob a bank due to their financial circumstances.
Can they infiltrate the bank, find the safe, open the safe, grab the money and end their money troubles?

George Ponsonby: "Bert..."
George: Ponsonby "...haven't even told this to my wife."
George Ponsonby: "Ponsonby Metals is on the verge of bankruptcy."

Controls:
Custom 2 Click mouse: left Click Interact / Right Click Look at.
Tab or GUI Button to open up tools.

Misc:
Clock display.

Video (wrong date) and Screenshot

Specs:
1024 X 768
32 Bit color
Direct3D 9 hardware acceleration

Mandle

Got a bit of research done into my project as well as some animations and sound effects tonight.

Doubt I will have anything playable by the deadline, but we shall see if I have a burst of activity or not despite the crushing heat of the summer here in Japan which mostly has me taking naps under an air-conditioner when I could otherwise be adding content...

VampireWombat

Good luck getting something playable done. I quite understand the heat issue. It's part of what's killed a lot of my creativity and motivation the past 2 months.

Slasher - Congrats on getting your game to the testing phase.

Now to see if I can get the energy and creativity to get some graphics done for my game today...

Slasher

Mandle and VampireWombat: Sit in a bucket of ice (laugh)

We need you both in the running (nod)

VampireWombat

That could be difficult. And pose some problems...
I am putting together reference for making the player character in Inkscape at least. I'm being lazy and making the graphics sidescroller type so that I only have to do left and right. I should be able to at least have a walk cycle done today.

Slasher

Download here

Storyline:
Two middle aged guys set out to rob a bank due to their financial circumstances.
Can they infiltrate the bank, find the safe, open the safe, grab the money and end their money troubles?

George Ponsonby: "Bert..."
George: Ponsonby "...haven't even told this to my wife."
George Ponsonby: "Ponsonby Metals is on the verge of bankruptcy."

Controls:
Custom 2 Click mouse: left Click Interact / Right Click Look at.
Tab or GUI Button to open up tools.

Misc:
Clock display.

Video (shows wrong date) and Screenshot

Specs:
1024 X 768
32 Bit color
Direct3D 9 hardware acceleration
Download here

VampireWombat

I see the testing phase is over. I will give it a try sometime today.
Sadly, yesterday turned out to feel even hotter than the previous day, despite being technically 3 degrees cooler. So I didn't get a walk cycle after all. But I did at least have some ideas.
I'm unlikely to get anything finished today. But I will at least work on graphics some.

Slasher

Hi

Few minor tweaks done.

Constantly updated.

Retro Wolf

I've just spent an hour trying to fix my inventory GUI, WHY ISN'T THIS CODE WORKING?!! Turns out in the general settings tab I'd left "override built in inventory window click handling" to false... >:(

Mandle

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sun 22/07/2018 23:18:54
I've just spent an hour trying to fix my inventory GUI, WHY ISN'T THIS CODE WORKING?!! Turns out in the general settings tab I'd left "override built in inventory window click handling" to false... >:(

Yeah, I've done similar many times myself. Now one of the first things I check is general settings if something if happening that seems to make no sense.

Slasher

Hope you have sorted your troubles out OK, Retro Wolf (nod)

Meanwhile, I have added new function at the end and tweaked a bit.

Come on guys, show us your wares.. only a week to go and we need your entry.

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 23/07/2018 07:16:40
Hope you have sorted your troubles out OK, Retro Wolf (nod)

Meanwhile, I have added new function at the end and tweaked a bit.

Come on guys, show us your wares.. only a week to go and we need your entry.

I hope to have something to show but with my wife out of action with back problems again and my mother-in-law having some medical issues due to the heat and being forced out of her apartment due to a broken air-con things are pretty chaotic right now.

I have that tiny bit of background, the car sprite, half a walkcycle, and one other animated sprite done so far and that's it.

Not looking good but we will see!

Slasher

Mandle: Sorry to hear about your wife and mother-in-laws problems. May they be gone soon (nod)

Half a walkcycle is ok, I've seen worse (laugh)

Keep it simple and short mate and you may still make it.

I just had a vision..character is a car... A very large road map...drive the roads...Ransom note...follow messages...look for things...phone boxes...trees..object etc..complete message tasks and go on to the next given point...find the final message and complete last task...to receive the biggest shock of your life..

Crazy, but it's true (laugh)

VampireWombat

I have nothing worth showing yet. Today's supposed to be quite a bit cooler than the past 3.
After having played Return of the Tentacle this weekend, I'm going to see if I can make a context sensitive interface work. But I'm limiting myself to today and tomorrow to work on it. If it doesn't work out, then I'll either use a 2 click interface or modified 9 verb.

Mandle - If you need help finishing the walk cycle, I can give it a go. I can't promise it would be as good as you'd do, but at the least it could be something you could modify a bit to work. I'd even be willing to attempt other animations you might need.

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 23/07/2018 13:00:12
Mandle - If you need help finishing the walk cycle, I can give it a go. I can't promise it would be as good as you'd do, but at the least it could be something you could modify a bit to work. I'd even be willing to attempt other animations you might need.

Thanks for the offer, mate, but I think I'll just do each task myself as a personal challenge even if it means I don't make the deadline with anything enterable.

I already have 2 uncomplete MAGS games on the back burner to be worked on... Why not make it a solid 3, eh?

They are all so different that I can pick and choose which to work on depending on my mood, so it's a nice little family of misfits to have around.

VampireWombat

Alright. I wish you the best of luck.

And I'm going to attempt a different variation of a verb coin. Instead of being brought up by a mouse click, I'm going to see how well having it brought up by hovering over a hotspot will work.

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 23/07/2018 13:23:51
And I'm going to attempt a different variation of a verb coin. Instead of being brought up by a mouse click, I'm going to see how well having it brought up by hovering over a hotspot will work.

That's what Return Of The Tentacle does, right? I found it worked very well! Although I wouldn't really call it a verb coin as you don't click on the icons to choose which option. It was more just a guide to show you beforehand what left click or right click would do.

So, it was very useful for situations like when right-clicking a door would only open/close the door instead of looking at it, saving the player the trouble of clicking the door with the intent of examining it, and other cases like this.

VampireWombat

Yes and no. Return of the Tentacle, at least the amount I've played so far, is pretty much just 2 click interface with context sensitive images that showed up. What I want will be more like a verb coin since it will have multiple options.
An example of what I mean is something that I thought of when trying to get back to sleep at one point this morning. Hover over water and it would give the options to drink, swim, or put some in a container.
Of course having the options come up when hovering might be an absolutely horrible idea. But at the least hovering can be used for scripting which interactions would be used.

Mandle

ARGH!!! Every time I sit down to get something done my mother-in-law calls on the phone with imagined worries that we are trying to move her into an elderly care home and that the broken air conditioner was just the first step of our master plan to do so!!!

I know she is old and this must all be quite terrifying for her so I'm not angry or anything but I can't get into the headspace I need to have fun with creating anything while expecting the phone to ring again at any moment and the same cycle of my wife trying to talk sense into her mother starts and escalates all over again.

This is why writers and artists have lofts I guess...

VampireWombat

Yeah, I can see how that could cause creative problems.
The best suggestion I have is somehow use the experience in a game.

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 23/07/2018 14:52:35
The best suggestion I have is somehow use the experience in a game.

Indeed!

VampireWombat

Well, I suppose combining Street Fighter and Stargate SG-1/Atlantis could somehow work. Of course that could be influced by the fact that hearing indeed makes me think of Teal'c and last week I watched an episode of Stargate Atlantis where Ronon and Teal'c were fighting...

Slasher

VampireWombat:
QuoteAn example of what I mean is something that I thought of when trying to get back to sleep at one point this morning. Hover over water and it would give the options to drink, swim, or put some in a container.
It's a possibility and could work OK if implemented properly...

Mandle:
The mind can make people think/do lots of strange things...

What ever way you go guys I wish you success.. (nod)

Meanwhile, I have uploaded a new improved build...

Buckethead

My game is playable from start to finish. Still need to write some responses and polish some stuff. Hopefully I will have time later this week.
Here's another screenshot from the game:

VampireWombat

I worked on my idea for the verb coin a bit last night and then realized that unless there's some different way to do it, it's no better than just left clicking on the hotspot to begin with. It might actually be worse. But at least it does work as a means to create context sensitive verbs. Today I'll adapt what I did to work with left clicking instead.

Buckethead- Looking good. Hopefully you'll release whatever you have finished, even if it's not fully polished.

Slasher

Buckethead,

What a lovely background...I do hope the story and game play matches it (nod)

As long as it's playable from start to finish with no big bugs/issues I'm fine with that.

Good start (nod)

VampireWombat: Knowledge learnt is knowledge known. I thought an alternative way could be dialog option choices.

Meanwhile, I found a missing UnlockView in dig room and now fixed

VampireWombat

I suppose dialog is a way to do it. And using an inventory has also been suggested.
But a context sensitive verb coin makes the most sense to me. Fewer steps involved for the player at least.
Now if only I can figure out the graphics style for my game...

Slasher

Thing's are hotting up around here (laugh)

VampireWombat: Time is ticking away like sand in an hourglass...

QuoteNow if only I can figure out the graphics style for my game...
You need to decide and act fast as only a week to go... Step up a gear and I'll see you at the starting line  (nod)

No sleep 'til Hammersmith as Lemmy said (laugh)

This may have been the time I saw him on Motorhead's first tour at Hammersmith Odeon, 19th Oct 1975 supporting Blue Oyster Cult..

Retro Wolf

I've put a limit of 10x10 rooms for now, how far can a player walk without getting bored? You can walk North and South now as well. At the moment it's kind of a treasure hunt, maybe I'll add an objective for tracking someone through the desert. There'll be a few rooms that are handcrafted, these are landmarks so you can check your bearings. Maybe I'll make a map to place these landmarks.

Apart from the electric fence I'm not sure how well I'm going to fit the theme yet, though I've got a good feeling that I'll complete this project (even if not for the competition) it's been two years since I've released something!

Slasher

Retro Wolf
QuoteApart from the electric fence I'm not sure how well I'm going to fit the theme yet, though I've got a good feeling that I'll complete this project (even if not for the competition) it's been two years since I've released something!

I hope you come up with something to show (nod)

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Tue 24/07/2018 20:49:32
Apart from the electric fence I'm not sure how well I'm going to fit the theme yet, though I've got a good feeling that I'll complete this project (even if not for the competition) it's been two years since I've released something!

Oh, great, now I'm thinking of the Ren & Stimpy game "Don't Whizz on the Electric Fence"!  Thanks a lot! (laugh)

Mandle

I drew up another building in my background last night but it's only still a small percentage of how much work is still to be done.

It was a ton of fun though and looks just like what I wanted so I'm happy. ;-D

imsomnia212

I'm in (a little bit late, but that's because I was busy with my own game)
Are u a tuna?

VampireWombat

Oh good. Maybe there will be some competition for Slasher after all.

There were a few complications on trying to get my verb coin to work. I might have thought of a way to make it work at 1:30 or so this morning. Or else it just sounded good then.
If it doesn't work, then I'll either go with a 2 click interface or use the hugely flawed objects as verbs interface I tried in May...

Edit: So far it looks like it'll work.

imsomnia212

Here is a screenshot of something that I making for this MAGS:

A gif of the animated portal:

Are u a tuna?

Danvzare

Whoa, you're probably going to win for art alone. 8-0
Here's hoping the gameplay is just as good. :-D

Cassiebsg

Slasher

imsomnia212:

If that is the start of your entry then you are off to a good start... Keep it up, we expect great things from you...(nod)

And games are more than just a pretty face ;)

Though will it make July's MAG competition deadline on time?

Mandle

Did a slight bit of work on my pixelart background just to keep me active and interested in my game...

I'm determined with this game to draw all assets myself from scratch... So, a full release could take some time...

The story has advanced in my mind though and has gone into interesting territory...

VampireWombat

Well, hopefully you'll at least get some kind of release for the deadline. But it's nice to hear that the story has advanced and gone into interesting territory.

I have nothing finished on my game yet. I have kind of figured out a puzzle, but there's still a few elements missing.
I've mostly figured out the art style for the main character. Hopefully I'll get that done today or tomorrow.
Whether I end up using the "verb coin" or not depends on if any of the puzzles I come up with would be worth using it or not.

Slasher

Mandle: I admire you wanting to draw all the assets yourself from scratch... MAG or not you are no doubt putting your heart and soul into it (nod)

VampireWombat: As long as it's bug free and playable bring it on... I generally figure out the implementation of verbs at the start of any game... But good luck (nod)

imsomnia212

Slasher: Is just a screenshot of a part of the game, not the start. I want to show something, just that.
Are u a tuna?

Slasher

Quote from: imsomnia212 on Thu 26/07/2018 21:29:55
Slasher: Is just a screenshot of a part of the game, not the start. I want to show something, just that.
I actually meant the first thing you show us..not start of game ;)

Good luck with the project.

Mandle

Just had a fun 2 hours working on a new building's graphics... Still half-done but could turn out well...

+0.5% project completed

Buckethead

My game is done:
AGS database link

The game turned out quite short but I'm glad I've set a goal for my self and followed through. I hope you enjoy it and please let me know if there are any issues.

Slasher

Looks like you left Debug enabled...

Text Warning appears in folder.

It seems you have a cutscene that stops (if you press a key) before you know what player needs. Perhaps get rid of cutscene command?

'Harmful' to 'Helpful' perhaps when items used on yourself?

Needs bigger transport area when going to animal as sometimes does not transport..

Dialog options.. If you have coin then dialog option about coin should not be there.

Hope this is helpful?

Really nice graphics and animations..

Spoiler question
Spoiler

Can you have more than 3 items as the 3 I have will not go into caudron?
[close]

Buckethead

Thanks for the feedback Slasher. Whoops forgot about debug mode, I'll remove that. You are right about the cutscene cutting the off the objective if you skip it. I'll try to find a nice solution for that.

To answer you question:
Spoiler

This is the result of how I programmed this. You can't actually put any items in the cauldron. When you have all the needed items, the final cutscene plays. This might be confusing so maybe I'll change it.
[close]

Slasher

spoiler
Spoiler
Having just your own hair at the end ("That will have to do.") does not start end cutscene..
[close]

Buckethead

Spoiler
You still need hair from an animal (deer)
[close]

Slasher

Spoiler

Food patch could do with being a big bigger in my opinion.
[close]

Anyhow, completed the game.

The graphics definitely lift the game up a couple of notches (nod)

More when voting starts....

Buckethead

New version is up:
Same link as before

Changes:
- Debug mode removed.
- Objective of the game is now more clear.
- Objective is now made clear, even if you skip the intro.
- One hotspot is now bigger so you should more easily see it when hovering over it.
- Credits now exits to the main menu.
- Credits now include SSH for the Credits module.
- Credits are now skip-able.

There are some other small issues I might fix but that's for later.

Slasher

Hi

the game seems to play better..

But
Spoiler

Wizard says about 'human' hair even if you don't have any at the end, only deer hair..
'To the Forrest' needs to stretch to edge of right border..
[close]

Buckethead

Whoops! :embarrassed:
Spoiler
Made a typo on the final check to see if you have all the items. I'll fix this soon.
[close]

Should be fixed now.

Slasher

Hope I have been of help in getting your game better..(nod)

VampireWombat

Urg... I need a name for my game.
I plan to do most of the programming today and maybe add music.

Kastchey

I might have something too. I was working on an entry since early July, but didn't want to announce until I was relatively sure I have a chance to finish it.

It's still missing intro and credits, it could use a few extra animations and the walkcycles are abysmal, but the playable part is done.

slumber

i was really going to put together a simple quick game but the graphics proved to be much more work than i could get done in time. :~( i will try to finish it though, even past deadline. at least i know what to start with next time...

VampireWombat

Kastchey - As long as there are walkcycles, I doubt anyone will complain too much at this point. Any other animations are nice, but never expected from MAGS games. But hopefully you can at least get the intro and credits done enough to submit your game tomorrow.

slumber - Shame. Can you possibly use filler graphics or something? This month allows for pre-made assets. Depending on your needs, I'd even be willing to offer a little help.

Slasher

Only got til tomorrow night guys.. Time to move up a notch or two...(nod)

VampireWombat

If I have to, I can easily complete any backgrounds I don't have made today in an hour or so tomorrow. I've given up on trying to make any surreal backgrounds since I just don't have the creativity this summer.
Really, the hardest thing I have to do is figure out what to have a poker game with...
But if I have to, I'll just combine 2 or 3 things together to create something. I'm in no way worried or stressed about not finishing.
Tomorrow on the other hand...

slumber

@VampireWombat: thanks for the offer but theres too much work to be done in 2 days. i got the backgrounds finished but need the walk cycles and a few other animations which seems harder than i thought :) cant really use filler graphics as i had this alien/space theme in mind... honestly i was counting on help from a friend who does graphics but it did not work out all that well this month. hopefully next time. anyway as i said i will finish it, just not in time for the competition.

edit: and i completely forgot about music or sounds (roll)

VampireWombat

Well, good luck. If you need help with animation, I'd be willing to give it a try. Spriter 2 is supposed to come out next month, so I'll be trying to learn how to use it anyway. At the least I'm willing to share and tweak any animations I'm doing for this month.

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 30/07/2018 17:29:57
Only got til tomorrow night guys.. Time to move up a notch or two...(nod)

* Mandle moves up from notch -4 to notch -2...

Okay, should be sweet now.

Yeah, I was counting on Monday/Tuesday to get at least an intro/demo done but my wife is still off work with back issues and so that's not happening.

The irony is that after tomorrow I have a few weeks off work and she should be fine by then too.

I will probably try to complete this game to be potentially included in the upcoming bake-sale.

VampireWombat

Well, that sucks.

I'm not even sure what notch I'm working at. Less than 11 hours to go. Hopefully a cell phone battery is enough energy to count for the theme.

Sadly, the starting room will be the only one with any form of creativity put into it.

Retro Wolf

I was being a little naïve when I entered, I entered too late and it's been so long I'd forgotten how much work is involved. I'm confident that the project will get completed eventually though! Good luck to the rest of the entrants.

Mandle

I'm just going to put the intro to the game in as my entry in case I get hit by a truck before it's finished:

WELCOME TO NOD RIVER

DOWNLOAD HERE

Kastchey

I have managed to finish mine. The biggest challenge in the end turned out to be uploading the game, because I'm on holiday and my laptop's not picking up wi-fi...
Please let me know if the download link below doesn't work. I'll try to update later with a screenshot.

The Shaft

DOWNLOAD LINK

Sgt. Reed has been tasked with descending into an abandoned underground facility, activating the power generator and opening the main entrance. But things did not exactly work as planned...

Edit: Updated with bugfixes and couple more tweaks (thanks Mandle!)
Edit 2: Updated with critical bug fix upon Stupot's approval (save/load game issue)

VampireWombat

Mandle - Try not walking in the middle of the road?

Kastchey - The link seems to be fine to me. I'll have to check later if the game uploaded completely and is playable.

It's highly unlikely for me to upload mine within the next 4 hours. I'll try to not have it literally last minute like last time, though...

Kastchey

Thanks VampireWombat, good to know. If the file downloaded ok then it should be fine, my only issue was that I had to upload using my phone and wasn't sure if I had set google drive permissions right.

DBoyWheeler

Will be interesting to see the list of entries when the time comes.

And also, I shall look forward to what August's theme will be--I'm hoping to take part in that one.

VampireWombat

Yeah... the closer I get to the deadline, the worse mine feels. 1 coupon and cat to go and then I try putting it all together and see if anything explodes.

Edit after submitting the game: So, it seems I messed up importing some of the graphics, didn't get an up walk cycle made, the left and right walk cycle sucks, and somehow I screwed the inventory up despite having change the inventory item size.
In a panic to get it done on time, I had to take a lot of shortcuts. I don't think there's any look interactions and no dialog.
I will add music and fix some of the issues this week.

VampireWombat

Updated version submitted a couple minutes ago.

Stupot

Thanks for the entries guys. I'm a bit busy st the moment but keep an eye out for the voting hopefully some point today. Also keep an eye out for the new topic thread, coming soon.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 01/08/2018 01:21:17
keep an eye out for the voting hopefully some point today. Also keep an eye out for the new topic thread, coming soon.

Now you've made me go cross-eyed!

Mandle

I'm playing the games and will update feedback in this post as I go:

The Shaft

Spoiler
Wow! Really fun game so far! The graphics are really nice on the eye, and the animations are cool! The main character's walkcycle is a little dainty though. I think maybe if you slowed down the animation speed and turned up the walkspeed he wouldn't mince quite so much.

I'm not sure if the music suits the mood for me. I think I would have prefered something a little more mysterious and ominous. The music used seems a bit generic.

I've gotten a bit stuck after making the
Spoiler
100% useable mallet. It seems like I should be able to hit either the smashed glass area or the cracked glass area with it but the game won't even let me try which is frustrating. I had really thought that this would be what was expected of me. There's no bug there at all is there? If not, then don't give a hint please. I want to figure it out but don't want to spend time trying if it is actually just a bug.
[close]

There are a few glitches: The message when I try to pick up a
Spoiler
second piece of broken glass tells me I can't because my gloves are ripped, but they aren't.
[close]

Also I can still
Spoiler
get a second piece of wire even when I'm down on the ground.
[close]

I can also pick up multiple
Spoiler
Shards of glass as long as I cover the previous one in goo from the moss
[close]

Great game though! Are you a rescue guy in RL?! You seem to know a lot about the equipment!
[close]

The Lightning Spell

Spoiler
Like I mentioned before: The graphics in this game are amazing! And I'm glad to see as well that the animations and special effects are also on par!

The title screen immediately grabs the player's attention and the rest of the game gets even better!

There are many spelling issues and sometimes the humour is a bit "surprising" especially the gay reference. It got a laugh from me though and was vindicated by the fact that the character didn't deny it, just explained why he was trying to impress a girl. So, tastefully done!

The game is short, of course, and the puzzles very simple, but that's not always a bad thing.

One of the worst game design sins IMO is making a game with 10 minutes of actual gameplay but with puzzles so obtuse that it takes an hour or more to finish the game.

I would have liked slightly more challenge but I'm not going to complain! It's obvious that your focus was more on beautiful graphics, animations, and effects than hardcore puzzle design, and there is only so much time in a month.

I had a great time and spent more time walking around in the lovely shadow effects and exploring the limits of the walkable areas than I did progressing the story... All-in-all, mission accomplished I'd say!

The game did make me itch to see what lay beyond the lake and what this "city" that was mentioned looked like as well! So, room for expansion!
[close]

Until Further Notice
Spoiler
Charming!!! Loved the main characters' look and the working-class crime genre. I'm a sucker for a good break-in or escape movie so this really had me excited!

I enjoyed the digging sequence although it was a bit confusing how to control movement. I swear I could have fit between a gap in the pipes but he just wouldn't do it!

The ending had me laughing. It's always great when a title doesn't make sense until the end, like in the movie "Drag Me To Hell", and becomes a nice punchline. Nice storytelling device there!

What I felt just a tiny bit let down about was that the gameplay mechanics were really just "use this on that".

I did expect maybe one or two more complex puzzles, but it's MAGS so no real complaint. Hey, at least you finished your game. More than I can say for, like, ages!

One real complaint I will make though:
Spoiler
You have a laser puzzle. You give the player a mirror. But the solution is to hit the sensor with a hammer?! I tried so hard to combine the mirror with so many other items, and the game actually makes it seem that item combinations are possible because it replies. I then realized that, game-design-wise, it had to be an object that I already had from the start or this would be a dead-end because I couldn't leave the room. BUT then I found out that I COULD leave the room by clicking between the bars on the door. I felt this was a bug but wasn't 100% sure. So this meant that optional items in other rooms COULD maybe be needed?! But, yeah, eventually I just hit it with everything I had until the hammer worked... Battery-powered sensors don't seem very secure, but, okay... (laugh)
[close]

Anyway, like I said, the game was charming and the ending was well worth the playtime.
[close]

Kastchey

Thanks for the extensive feedback Mandle! I'll edit this post in the evening when I get back home and reply in detail, but for now to spare you some frustration - there is no bug. Though I *might* have unintentionally created a somewhat misleading puzzle, ironically in an attempt to make it easier :) More to come later!

Stupot

I won't have time to set up the voting tonight but I should be able to do it in about 12 hours or so. So consider this a chance to add those extra touches.

Meanwhile, check out the new topic for August.

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 31/07/2018 01:50:40
I will probably try to complete this game to be potentially included in the upcoming bake-sale.
There's an upcoming bake sale? How does one get to be in the secret club of people who know about them?

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 01/08/2018 10:26:51
I won't have time to set up the voting tonight but I should be able to do it in about 12 hours or so. So consider this a chance to add those extra touches.

Oh, is this an extension?

I had thought that entries were closed but you didn't have time to open voting.

Well, I've been sitting around on my silly ass all day then!

Okay, maybe something even slightly more playable in the works!

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 01/08/2018 10:26:51
Quote from: Mandle on Tue 31/07/2018 01:50:40
There's an upcoming bake sale? How does one get to be in the secret club of people who know about them?

There's no way unless "they" want you to know, or something, I guess... Ummmm, I'm going to get killed now aren't I?

Bugger!

Slasher

Mandle:

When trying to combine anything with anything you will get you a message that you cannot combine those items or indeed any items.

Indeed you can leave the safe room if you have not got a needed item. Else you can't.

Spoiler

You can do the laser with various inventory items.
[close]

VampireWombat

Great. Now I have time to figure out where I screwed up with things.

Kastchey

Great, I'll be updating mine too then.

Cassiebsg

I'll wait patiently for all entries to be "final" before downloading and checking them out. (nod)
Good luck all in the last 100m run! (laugh)

VampireWombat

Thanks for the luck.
I've already discovered where I screwed up with the inventory.

Mandle

I didn't get any actual gameplay done with the extension, but the intro is quite a bit cooler!

Oh, and I know the background looks a bit washed-out and 2D... I plan to adjust the contrast after adding lighting/shadows to make it pop a little bit more.

Kastchey

I'm still en route but should hopefully be able to post an updated version as soon as my wife stops messing with my laptop... ;)

Mandle, if you don't mind replaying the part you have progressed through (should be a fast replay) then the issues you found should be solved in the updated version.

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 01/08/2018 10:59:21
Indeed you can leave the safe room if you have not got a needed item. Else you can't.

Ahhh, but I could. I just clicked between the bars on the closed door. The label there still said "Way Out".

I had to get past the eye scanner again each time to go back in but it didn't break the game.

Kastchey

I have updated my previous post with a new link. I have corrected some issues, updated the music, tweaked the ending a little and reviewed one of the puzzles because the descriptions were unintentionally misleading.

@Mandle:
Glad you enjoyed the game so far! As for the specific things you pointed out:
Spoiler
Quote from: Mandle on Wed 01/08/2018 08:26:18
The main character's walkcycle is a little dainty though. I think maybe if you slowed down the animation speed and turned up the walkspeed he wouldn't mince quite so much.
"A little dainty"? Wow, you're being kind. It's horrible :) This is a placeholder walkcycle I would normally update later in the development, but didn't manage before the deadline. But I tweaked the speed as per your advice and it seems to have helped. Thanks!

QuoteI'm not sure if the music suits the mood for me. I think I would have prefered something a little more mysterious and ominous. The music used seems a bit generic.
That was the best I could pick within half an hour or so I had left. I have picked something else for v2, but I'm hoping I'll be able to find someone to write a dedicated piece of music for the post-MAGS release.

Spoiler
I've gotten a bit stuck after making the 100% useable mallet.
[close]
Well yeah. There was no bug, but like I said earlier, I realized I had made one of the puzzles a bit unfair to the player. I have redesigned it slightly in the updated version so that it doesn't have to be solved by "using everything on everything".

Spoiler
There are a few glitches: The message when I try to pick up second piece of broken glass tells me I can't because my gloves are ripped, but they aren't. Also I can still get a second piece of wire even when I'm down on the ground. I can also pick up multiple Shards of glass as long as I cover the previous one in goo from the moss.
[close]
Fixed, and fixed, and fixed. Thank you! In fact, I considered crediting you as a playtester in the end credits, but I'd rather put the game through more thorough testing first because I wouldn't want you to look like a lousy tester if it turned out there were more bugs hidden somewhere! :-D

QuoteGreat game though! Are you a rescue guy in RL?! You seem to know a lot about the equipment!
That would be cool but no :)  I just enjoy reading about lots of random stuff, from amoebas to makeshift welding machines.
But thank you! I was actually worried it might be obvious that I have no clue.
[close]

VampireWombat

Stupot

Thanks for your patience. The contest is over and the voting is now open.

5 entries,by the looks of it. Thanks everyone who participated. Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Voting till: August 15th

The Shaft by Kastchey

Mandle

Erm, Katschey...

The download link for the updated version of your game, which I really want to play, leads to a dodgey-looking site with a side-bar ad titled "Captivating Russian Women" with a button marked "Start Chat".

Not exactly the kind of site I feel comfortable about clicking on anything, let alone a download link.

Could you switch back to the site you previously used because I'm pretty sure it wasn't this one.

Buckethead

It just goes to Filedropper for me. Maybe Katschey already changed the link?

Anyway I'm going to try out each game today and give some feedback. Thanks everyone who already gave feedback about my game, I really appreciate it.

Kastchey

Sure, I'll reupload to google drive as soon as I get home. Sorry about that.
Actually, the filedropper link is still working, it "only" requires you to click the correct one out of one million different "Download file" buttons.

Below is the same file re-uploaded to a less vile host:
Link updated to remove restore game bug & the rope bug

Stupot, would you mind swapping the links or adding the above as an alternative?

Mandle

Cheers, downloading now and really looking forward to playing the updated version of what was already an awesome game!

VampireWombat

Oh. I should probably have said this yesterday, but was too tired. The inventory items don't actually do anything. I don't even remember if any of them other than the cell phone even have a look description.

Downloading the other games now to play later.

Shadow1000

5 entries!

Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler
What I liked about this game was how complete it is. It has a backstory, beginning, middle and end. Lots of decent puzzles and a nice bit of variety. The graphics were a bit basic, especially of the characters. The puzzles were straightforward and the only one that took some guessing was the laser
[close]

Spoiler
It's not often that I am so positive on a game just because of the graphics and animation but this game is an exception. All I can say is WOW! I REALLY hope that you use the characters and backgrounds and build a medium or full length game with a good story and puzzles. For a MAGS entry the story/puzzles were ok, considering the time constraints
[close]

Game introduction. The background of the game once it opens is intriguing enough to look like a good basis for a game.

The Shaft by Kastchey
Spoiler
I really like this one. The attractive pixel art combined with what looks like part of a good story drew me in. I wasn't expecting such detailed, well-though out puzzles. Progress was slow but steady. There is a fair bit of guessing. I got stuck at the same place as Mandle but I did get past it.
[close]

I'm not sure what to say. It's hard to evaluate what seems to be an early release of something?

It was not an easy call to make but my vote goes to
Spoiler
The Shaft. I feel that while Until Further Notice is more complete rather than giving the feel of a "first scene" of a game, this one has the most to offer in terms of graphics and puzzles and to me was the most engaging and enjoyable
[close]

Good luck!

Slasher

I find it quite painful having to click to remove text...

Kastchey

That's down to personal preference, I guess. Ideally I should make a GUI for switching between skipping modes so that everyone can pick whatever option they are most comfortable with. Point taken! :)

Shadow1000

Oh, and I forgot to report:

In The Shaft, I saved my game intending to come back later. But when I came back, it said that there were no saved games and I had to start over :(

Kastchey

Oh dear. Sorry about that, I think I know where I messed up. But I'll leave it for the post-MAGS version as correcting it now would be cheating ;)
Thanks very much for reporting!

Shadow1000

Quote from: Kastchey on Thu 02/08/2018 21:44:05
Oh dear. Sorry about that, I think I know where I messed up. But I'll leave it for the post-MAGS version as correcting it now would be cheating ;)
Thanks very much for reporting!

No problem. Despite that, it got my vote...

Kastchey

It did, so I'm glad the save issue wasn't too off-putting.
Thanks a million for your feedback and comments, and I'm happy that you enjoyed the game overall!

Mandle

Quote from: Kastchey on Thu 02/08/2018 21:44:05
But I'll leave it for the post-MAGS version as correcting it now would be cheating ;)

You're allowed to fix bugs, especially really major ones like that, after the competition closes as long as you don't add new gameplay, assets, etc.

Kastchey

Thanks Mandle (again!).

Below is a link to the fixed version. Tjere are no other changes so if you have managed to finish the game there is no need to re-download.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rOCWUf6oYpcDFgnQ3zUq7Oz78LFJpH_U/view?usp=drivesdk

slumber

trying to play The Shaft, i guess im too stupid for this game but i noticed that you can repeatedly
Spoiler
cut the rope with the knife again after you already cut it
[close]
possible bug?

abstauber

Phew, it's been a while since I played enough MAGS game to actually qualify on voting ;-D
It was really entertaining, thank you all for creating this great content!

Pizza Calls
Spoiler
That was the most disturbing game of poker in a long time :D
[close]

WELCOME TO NOD RIVER
Spoiler
Well, too bad that it's not game yet, but cool that you had the guts to release it anyway. I liked the style and I really had hopes that I could explore this a screen a bit.
[close]

The Lightning Spell
Spoiler
Wow, the presentation layer is fantastic. This could be a commercial demo from the late 90s for all I know. Also it made me chuckle a few times :) Gameplaywise it was not very challenging unfortunately. Still, what was there, was fun
[close]

Stories of the unexpected
Spoiler
This was the longest game and it even contains a mini game, very nice. What I don't get is why there are Laptops in the 60s... I might have preferred it to be a bit more accurate in terms of technology. But it was still very entertaining, especially the ending.
[close]
The Shaft
Spoiler
I have to admit that I'm a huge fan of Kastcheys work... since forever? So I'm a bit biased here. I adore the graphics, they are quite grainy and (as always) a bit unpolished but they fit the setting perfectly. Well the inventory puzzles on the other hand where a bit trial and error, especially because pliers on wire work, but not the other way round etc. Also I loved the surprising element in the ending and I despise the fact that this story will probably never be continued (/me looks at the postapocalyptic snow queen). So yes - I want to see more of Reed! Please!
[close]

Conclusion
Spoiler

Thanks again to all creators for giving my such a good time. For me it was a tight decision between Slasher and Kastchey, but finally my vote goes to The Shaft.
[close]

Kastchey

Yes, sounds like a bug as you
Spoiler
do not need to interact with the rope anymore.
[close]

I don't think it should affect the gameplay much but will double check. Thank you for reporting!

@abstauber: Thank you for your comments! I'll respond in more detail later but hey, the Snow Queen is still among the "in progress" folders! ;-D and at least I can now say I did a Snow Queen-themed game before it was cool.

VampireWombat

Quote from: abstauber on Fri 03/08/2018 12:47:43
Pizza Calls
Spoiler
That was the most disturbing game of poker in a long time :D
[close]
Thank you.

Kastchey

@slumber So.. it does break the game, unfortunately. My apologies :< My only excuse is that the last game I scripted on my own was released in 2009... ;)
Here is a link to the fixed version:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p2N25CRFMhZwim8C2UrWsKI2CPmHJkua

@abstauber Many thanks for the feedback and the kind words! I'm glad the game didn't disappoint ;)
Spoiler
QuoteI have to admit that I'm a huge fan of Kastcheys work... since forever? So I'm a bit biased here.
Aww.. thank you. I'm still a fervent fan of your mad coding skills! ;)
Quoteespecially because pliers on wire work, but not the other way round etc.
I've tried to make the interactions work both ways but I was sure I didn't manage to catch all of them. Thanks, this is definitely to be addressed in a post-MAGS version!
Quote(/me looks at the postapocalyptic snow queen)
*cough* I have a folder for that, and a remake folder for that, and a second remake folder... which makes me think you're probably right about the Snow Queen, but I'll try to do better with this one! =)
[close]
@Shadow1000
Spoiler
QuoteI wasn't expecting such detailed, well-though out puzzles.
Thank you! I'm so happy to hear this, because I thought I had trouble designing puzzles that are actually entertaining.
QuoteI got stuck at the same place as Mandle but I did get past it.
I was worried about that particular puzzle because it might have been unfair to the player as it is based on something that is not necessarily common knowledge. I tried to improve it a little bit by adding less confusing descriptions after Mandle's initial feedback so I hope it's less frustrating now.
[close]

slumber

well, i still think its my brain thats at fault and not the code as im totally stuck on that bent plate :-D but ill give it another go to see if i make any progress :-[

Kastchey

Oh, okay :) There's now a hint thread started here, if you feel you're stuck at any point ask away!

And as I've finally managed to play all the other entries, here are my thoughts:

Spoiler

I enjoyed the subtle humour, the part in the storage room was hilarious (I can totally see how this guy ended up doing time) and the ending was brilliant. As for the puzzles, I think I would have preferred a little less guidance, e.g. in the final safe puzzle the game would almost directly tell me which item to use next. Overall the game felt like less of a standard adventure game, more of a "guess which tool to use next out of a wide variety available", which is an interesting concept and the mini-game was a nice addition. Well done!
[close]

Spoiler

I loved how the game tried (not too hard) and failed (with style) to have a storyline, and how it turned out as a sorta mixed parody of all things fantasy from classic tales to online games ("we're out of mana" :D). Of course, more focus on puzzles would have made the game even more fun but in a way, the trivial-obscure puzzles work in favour of the game because they fit the overall silliness perfectly.
[close]

Spoiler

This was one sweet intro, the pixel art was lovely and the pylons growing out of the ground in the background incredibly creepy. I've watched it a few times just to see them sprouting up again.
You're not going to abandon this project are you? I want to know what those hellish pylons are! ;)
[close]

Spoiler

You know what, I liked it! Sure there wasn't much in terms of actual gameplay and the whole was very rushed, but the setting gave me sort of a surreal horror vibe which was kind of cool. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your August MAGS game.
[close]

It wasn't an easy decision but my vote goes to
Spoiler
The Lightning Spell by Buckethead. And it wasn't so much the sweet graphics that have won me over, but the humour and the dialogues. I genuinely felt an urge to replay the game just for the fun of it!
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: Kastchey on Fri 03/08/2018 22:51:55
Spoiler

You know what, I liked it! Sure there wasn't much in terms of actual gameplay and the whole was very rushed, but the setting gave me sort of a surreal horror vibe which was kind of cool. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your August MAGS game.
[close]
Spoiler
Thanks. I was wanting to make it more surreal, but I simply didn't have the creativity for it. I'm hoping this month will go much better too. At the least it shouldn't be as rushed.
[close]

cat

I finally found some time to play the MAGS games.

Spoiler

Well written story and dialogs, a nice minigame and funny twist in the end. But the laptops and eye-scanner in a game that takes place in the 60ies was just too much.
[close]

Spoiler

Lovely graphics that somehow clashed with the humorous writing style. There were hardly any puzzles or interactions with the surroundings to speak of.
[close]

Spoiler

I guess this refers to some TV show that I don't know? It's really only a short intro, so I can't say much about it.
[close]

The Shaft by Kastchey
Spoiler
Amazing graphics and atmosphere, disturbing setting and sound track. The puzzles were a bit use-everything-on-everything for me, especially because combining only worked in one direction. The game is clearly lacking some polish (responses, animations etc.) but looks very promising.
[close]

Spoiler

Well, that was weird. I got stuck after getting the coupons, phone and battery because I couldn't do anything more and finding the exits was super hard.
[close]

I voted for
Spoiler
The Shaft
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: cat on Sat 04/08/2018 21:37:26
Spoiler

Well, that was weird. I got stuck after getting the coupons, phone and battery because I couldn't do anything more and finding the exits was super hard.
[close]
Spoiler
I'm interested to know what was hard about finding the exits. Exits for the rooms should have been hotspots. It wasn't meant to be pixel hunting or anything. So I'm genuinely wondering where the problem was. Maybe you did something which I didn't think of that caused a glitch?
[close]

Cassiebsg

Maybe cause the hotspots aren't on the door opening?
I also thought it to be very hard to find the doors hotspots and the character is walking on the walls too.

Also,
Spoiler

How do you use the battery with the phone to order the pizza?
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 04/08/2018 22:34:18
Maybe cause the hotspots aren't on the door opening?
I also thought it to be very hard to find the doors hotspots and the character is walking on the walls too.

Also,
Spoiler

How do you use the battery with the phone to order the pizza?
[close]
Okay, I think I understand the problem. Was the hotspot at the bottom of the room to get back to the hallway too small?

Spoiler
You can't. That's why I mentioned that the items don't really do anything. I ran out of time before I could do it.
[close]

Kastchey

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sat 04/08/2018 22:48:39
Was the hotspot at the bottom of the room to get back to the hallway too small?
I think the issue was not with the size of the hotspot but with the placement of it, at least that was my impression.
When you enter the room with the front door, it looks as if you entered from the doorway on the right rather than the area at the bottom of the screen. It may be just me though.

@cat: Thank you for your feedback! Glad you liked the game. As for
Spoiler
combining the inventory items both ways, yes, this is something I will want to address after MAGS is finished. I tried to script interactions both ways as much as I can, but as there is quite a lot of items the interactions work two ways for maybe half of them, at the very best so you definitely have a point there.
[close]

VampireWombat

Ah. I thought the angle, etc. implied the location. Apparently I was wrong...
Guess I should have at least drawn something to show that the area to the right was the kitchen/dining room. Or put a hotspot indicating such...
*immediately starts work on an updated version*

Edit: There's now a non-MAGS version which hopefully fixes all the issues that people mentioned. It's the 2nd download.

cat

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sat 04/08/2018 22:30:38
I'm interested to know what was hard about finding the exits.
Once I left the bedroom I couldn't enter any more - there was simply no hotspot. I also found it hard to find the hotspot for leaving the hallway, it was not where I expected it to be.

VampireWombat

Quote from: cat on Sun 05/08/2018 07:56:36
Once I left the bedroom I couldn't enter any more - there was simply no hotspot. I also found it hard to find the hotspot for leaving the hallway, it was not where I expected it to be.
Yeah, somehow the shape for the hotspot to the bedroom either got erased or something. I didn't even notice in my testing.
And the other just seems to have been how my brain works compared to apparently anyone else's. Sorry for the issues. Luckily they've now been addressed. Thanks for the input.

Buckethead

Sorry for the delay in giving my feedback.

Spoiler

Pretty fun game with a nice story. As others have said, some things felt out of place like the laptop and eye scanner but it didn't distract me too much. The felt fitting for the era but sometimes it was cracking up a bit. Maybe it was hard to find music from the 60s that is high quality. The graphics did their job but seem a bit rushed. Overall an enjoyable experience. I do wonder what you could achieve if you would take more time to develop your game.
[close]

The Lightning Spell by myself
Spoiler

I'm very glad that people like the graphics. I have long struggled to find a good graphics style for my games. Especially characters were always a problem because I felt I was never good at organic shapes. I'm finally at a level where I can be happy with the graphics. Nice that most people also enjoyed the humor. I know that game turned out very short. Puzzles are really my weak point. But I'm still glad I got a few in there. A few people have commented that I should make a long version of the game with same graphics. I'm not sure if I will do that. I think I would need a more solid game idea to build on. Maybe in the future I could team up with someone who would do the story/puzzles while I do graphics.
[close]

Spoiler

Yes! Love me some Twilight Zone. The video at the start seems kind of slow in frame rate but it's cool none the less. Interested to see what you will do with it in the future.
[close]

The Shaft by Kastchey
Spoiler
Very nice setting and atmosphere you've created here. The graphics are cool but sometimes a little hard to read. This is especially true for the Inventory GUI and some of it's items. The puzzles were great and seemed logical. It's very clear that you have a much better approach to puzzle design than I have.
[close]

Spoiler

There is some sort of David Lynch vibe going on in this game. I liked that but for the rest it felt very unfinished. Like how for example you could get the phone and the battery and you would think that you would need to combine those things, but it's not possible. By the way, you left debug mode on (as did I at first).
[close]

I voted for
Spoiler
The Shaft
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: Buckethead on Sun 05/08/2018 14:39:16

Spoiler

There is some sort of David Lynch vibe going on in this game. I liked that but for the rest it felt very unfinished. Like how for example you could get the phone and the battery and you would think that you would need to combine those things, but it's not possible. By the way, you left debug mode on (as did I at first).
[close]

Spoiler
Well, I actually have been watching Twin Peaks some the last month or so. And yeah, the combining them issue was fixed with the non-MAGS version I uploaded yesterday. And I didn't even think about debug mode... Oops.
Thanks for the feedback.
[close]

Kastchey

Thanks for the feedback, Buckethead. I'd be very interested to hear which items were harder to read so I can address this in the post-maggie polished version. A pm with more detailed feedback would be great if you could spare some time :)

Regarding the puzzles, puzzle dependency charts have helped me a lot. It's a bit hard to get started but once you get it going, the dots really start connecting. Listing out every single thing you can think of that may be found in your chosen settings helps too.

Buckethead

I've send you a PM. Thanks for the dependency chart suggestion. I don't think I would have had time for something like that in this MAGS but it sure could be helpful in future endeavors.

lanchong

Spoiler
I always have fun when playing Slasher's games and this one is no exception. Some graphics could do with a bit more polish but I don't mind. That's his style. The digging mini-game was a nice break from classic puzzles.
[close]

Spoiler
The high-resolution graphics are really exceptional for a MAGS game. I enjoyed the black humour which makes this a interesting parody of fantasy games.
[close]

Spoiler
I was a big fan of the Twilight Zone which probably shows my age and I look forward to the full game
[close]

The Shaft by Kastchey
Spoiler
I loved the atmosphere here. The pixelated graphics are reminiscent of the early 90s adventure games but combined with these great animations, it's overall very pleasant. For a short game, I would have preferred fewer items in the inventory. I hope there will be a long version developed later because it's an interesting storyline.
[close]

Spoiler
I struggled a bit to understand this game. I think I finished it but then it was extremely short. If you could polish the game a bit, I'd be glad to have another go.
[close]

My vote
Spoiler
The Shaft because it's the most complete game experience.
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: lanchong on Thu 09/08/2018 04:39:40
Spoiler
I struggled a bit to understand this game. I think I finished it but then it was extremely short. If you could polish the game a bit, I'd be glad to have another go.
[close]
Did you play the MAGS version or non-MAGS version? The non-MAGS is a bit more polished, but not any longer.

Kastchey

Quote from: lanchong on Thu 09/08/2018 04:39:40
Spoiler
For a short game, I would have preferred fewer items in the inventory. I hope there will be a long version developed later because it's an interesting storyline.
[close]
Thank you for your comments. I will surely be releasing a more polished version after the 16th to address all the issues pointed out by reviewers (missing interactions, rushed graphics etc.). I don't know yet if I will manage to extend the actual content, but we'll see!
As for the
Spoiler
the number of inventory items, there was supposed to be a third puzzle "hub" after the rope and the glass pane and these items were meant to be used for that purpose. I barely managed two "hubs" but the items stayed. I hope it doesn't look too much as if I was trying to artificially increase the difficulty level by adding tons junk that doesn't do anything... ;)
[close]

Slasher

Well,

after playing all the games I found a few that were quite well balanced and had there own pros and cons.. Of course I can only vote for one....

After much deliberating I voted for:

Spoiler

The Shaft by Kastchey
Well done for making a good game in the time we had ;)
[close]

Commiserations to all the other entrants...

I'll see all you in the next one and don't be late (laugh)

Blondbraid

My thoughts on the games so far:

Spoiler
The premise and characters were fun, and the ending made me laugh. Overall it had all the usual qualities if Slashers games.
[close]
Welcome to Nod River by Mandle
Spoiler
It's a shame it's just an intro, but the FMV in the beginning was a pretty good homage to the Twilight zone.
[close]
Spoiler
I really liked the detailed graphics and the animated characters, and the puzzles and characters were amusing too. Though the walkable areas could need some adjusting since sometimes the characters stood too close to the walls, making it look like they were standing slightly above the floor.
[close]
Spoiler
This game had some good potential for some fascinating surrealism, but unfortunately I found it buggy and hard to play. It was difficult to get trough doors because the hotspots were either too small or not lined up with the background, and the game randomly gave me a message that I've won followed by credits before going back to regular gameplay.
[close]
The Shaft by Kastchey
Spoiler
The pixel art and atmosphere is great, but some parts of the puzzle felt a bit frustrating and arbitrary, like one solution where you had to use the wire cutters on the copper wire, but you couldn't use the copper wire on the wire cutters,
plus I accidentally got stuck in a dead end when
Spoiler
I stuck the knife to the glowing glue moss before using it to cut out the sponge from the chair.
[close]
This kind of marred the experience for me, which is a shame, for otherwise it's a pretty decent MAGS game.
[close]

I ended up voting for:
Spoiler
The lightning spell, since it felt the most like a complete experience in addition to having great graphics and animations.
[close]

VampireWombat

At least I'm not the only one stuck on that part of Slasher's game...

Looks like I need to finish a couple of the games soon so I can vote. Oops.

Slasher

Safe cracking book
Spoiler

Safe cracking book is one of the books on the bookcase.
[close]

The Outer Zone

Finally played all the games.
Nice to see so many different games.

Spoiler
I like the harsh nature of this game. The scratchy music and collage of mediums. Maybe a bit too much talk in the intro for my taste, but that is might just be me. Finding all the tools was fun.
[close]

Spoiler
Quite funny, but wanted more jokes. A little gray in the graphics, but otherwise interesting looking.
[close]

Spoiler
Would be interesting to see the game, after seeing the intro.
[close]

The Shaft by Kastchey
Spoiler
Quite a nice game. I have played one of your games before (The Landlord) and this one is more tight. I really love the graphics, although it is definitely too muddy at times (hard to tell what some of the items represents). Great idea for a small story and I thought the whole smashing the window and proceeding through it worked very well! Great stuff.
[close]

Spoiler
Very short, but nicely absurd experience.
[close]

My vote:

Spoiler
The Shaft
[close]
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

VampireWombat

I've finished all but one of the games now.

Spoiler
Dunno what to say with it being just an intro. Shows promise though.
[close]

Spoiler
I don't mind the anachronisms like some people did. Of course I had literally just been reading about Anachronism Stew on TvTropes before playing the game again to finish it...
Most of the puzzles were pretty easy to figure out. For some reason I thought opening the first safe would have something to do with all the dates mentioned on things. But after being told about the book, I realized I had to literally use the book on it.
The only puzzle that really confused me was using the hammer on the laser. I tried the mirror first since that's how so many things get past lasers. Then I tried the cds.
[close]

Spoiler
Short, but nicely done. The interactions with the maiden were fun. I like the setting and would have liked to see it used more.
[close]

The Shaft by Kastchey
Spoiler
Had to watch the walkthrough to finish it, but I did finish it before the voting deadline.
The graphics are nice and the puzzles are well thought out. The ending did make it much more intriguing.
[close]

My vote goes to:
Spoiler
The Lightning Spell. It just was the most fun to me and the setting appealed to me the most out of all of them.
[close]

Shadow1000

Looks like The Shaft won. Congrats! Well-deserved and not surprising, especially as people posted their comments.

Stupot

Well done to The Shaft by Kastchey, the person with the most difficult to remember consonant cluster in their name.

You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for September :-)

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 16/08/2018 05:16:20
Kastchey, the person with the most difficult to remember consonant cluster in their name.

I thought it was only me that had that problem!

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 16/08/2018 05:21:21
Quote from: Stupot on Thu 16/08/2018 05:16:20
Kastchey, the person with the most difficult to remember consonant cluster in their name.

I thought it was only me that had that problem!
Haha. Nope. I always have to double and triple check it.

Kastchey

Guys, I understand and I have modified my profile name for your convenience. I hope it helps.

Slasher

Very well done Kasctshtststcthsey (nod)

Keep on keeping on (laugh)

We want to see another game from you (nod)

DBoyWheeler

Mandle

Quote from: Kasctshtststcthsey on Thu 16/08/2018 17:28:19
Guys, I understand and I have modified my profile name for your convenience. I hope it helps.

OMG!!! (laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

Kastchey

Thanks everyone! I certainly hadn't been expecting the responses I got. Those of you who are hoping for an extended version - I'll do my best not to disappoint!
Also, a very special thank you to those who commented and to the other entrants for a great competition.

As for the final bits of feedback I had not responded to earlier:

VampireWombat
Spoiler
Thanks for giving it a try! I hope you mainly had to consult the walkthrough due to time constraint... but if not, feel free to let me know what in particular you had trouble with.
[close]

The Outer Zone:
Spoiler
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the game. If you care to elaborate on the items that you found hard to read, send me a pm. I'll gladly rework them for the cleaned-up post-MAGS version.
ALD was a collaboration project led, submitted and promoted by LostTrainDude (who had also provided the Vangelis-quality soundtrack :)), so I'm surprised you remembered I had my hand in it!
[close]

Blondbraid
Spoiler
Thanks for playing! The wire cutters thing wasn't exactly an arbitrary solution, it was just me screwing up the two ways interactions for some items :-D I'm fixing that already.
As for the
Spoiler
knife issue, it is possible to use other sharp objects to cut the chair after losing the knife. But you are not the first person thinking this was a dead end so I think I'll need to redesign it slightly, or add a hint for other interactions upon losing the knife.
[close]
Thank you for your comments! Constructive criticism helps a lot :)
[close]

Slasher
Spoiler
QuoteWell done for making a good game in the time we had ;)
Hah! Says who ;)
[close]

The Outer Zone

@Kastchey - I forgot to write back. I mostly have problems reading the torn gloves and the harness. The scissors could be more clear as well. And the voltage tester.. that's a foreign object to me, so i guess its ok. But I think it would be more clear if the objects were not on a background with same texture and value. The color is fine (green on red) but its the same light tone.

Would be fun to see the game in a polished version :)

-Malte
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

Kastchey

Ok, great! These are the items other players complained about as well so the rest should hopefully fine. Thanks a million for the extra feedback.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk